Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Clipless convert

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am so excited - just got my first road bike on Friday but I had a big mental hurdle around riding clipless. I am used to clipping in and out from spinning classes - yet the clipping out/fear of falling on the road bike was feeling pretty overwhelming.

At the suggestion of my LBS, I got the bike outfitted with Look Keo pedals, and took it out yesterday for the first time to practice riding clipless. I was doing fine until I tried to stop and talk to a friend. I clipped out with my right foot and all was well, but I failed to then lean the bike to the right and bam! I fell and got a big scrape on my knee. Luckily she had a band-aid and I got back on the saddle, with my ego more bruised than anything else. The bike was fine

Today I took it out on the trails and some city streets, did my fair share of clipping in and out, and I didn't fall at all! I expected it to be so much harder and more frightening to get the hang of it. I am not going to get cocky or anything, but for me so much of cycling involves overcoming mental barriers - and now this one does not loom so large.

So, all this to say that if you're afraid to ride clipless - it really is awesome. I can definitely see the improvement in my pedal stroke and efficiency on the road. If I can do it, anyone can!!

What a great post! Congratulations on your success!

And you are so right...overcoming the mental barrier is the hardest part.

Congratulations! You're absolutely right: The mental part of cycling is often the hardest to get around.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thanks for sharing your experience! Are you using the Look Keo Easy or Classic? I'm currently using double sided platforms to get used to clipping in/out. Have ridden 125 miles with them, so far, so good.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, ladies!

I am using the Look Keo 2 Max pedals - have heard good things about the double sided platforms though! I am experiencing some fumbling sometimes clicking in with the second foot. Sometimes I hit it just right, other times I need to feel around while pedaling with the other foot. The double sided ones seem like the way to go, as you get around that obstacle

Quote Originally Posted by leah View Post
    I am experiencing some fumbling sometimes clicking in with the second foot. Sometimes I hit it just right, other times I need to feel around while pedaling with the other foot.
    I still do this...

I have the Look Keo Plus and LOVE them. I'd previously had Shimano mtn. SPDs and went with Shimano road SPD-SLs when I made the switch to dedicated road shoes and pedals...but I had nothing but trouble with those pedals. Even on the loosest tension I could. not. get. out. This was after having ridden thousands of miles with clipless pedals. Turns out 2 other people who had bought the same pedals within about a week of me had the same issues, so I suspect there was a bad lot. My hubby has been using Looks for forever, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, ladies!

I am using the Look Keo 2 Max pedals - have heard good things about the double sided platforms though! I am experiencing some fumbling sometimes clicking in with the second foot. Sometimes I hit it just right, other times I need to feel around while pedaling with the other foot. The double sided ones seem like the way to go, as you get around that obstacle
    The boyfriend has Look Keos and loves them. I have Shimano SPDs (the double-sided kind), having been using them for nearly 2 years, and still occasionally have difficulties finding that "spot".

I am just still getting used to the shoes. They feel semi-ridiculous to walk around in, even for a short while. Also, the plastic on my cleats is already pretty scuffed up after a few days!

I think the SPD-mountain bike style recessed cleats seem so much more practical if you are going to be getting off the bike and walking around for any length of time. I guess the roadie issue with them is that they provide a smaller platform for your foot so can be less comfortable over long distances?

I did buy the rubber cleat covers but keep forgetting to bring them with me. You still have to deal with this protrusion out of the ball of your foot when you walk
    Leah
    www.tinycircles.wordpress.com
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD C
    2009 Surly LHT
    "I thought of that while riding my bicycle."
    ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity

I am just still getting used to the shoes. They feel semi-ridiculous to walk around in, even for a short while. Also, the plastic on my cleats is already pretty scuffed up after a few days!

I think the SPD-mountain bike style recessed cleats seem so much more practical if you are going to be getting off the bike and walking around for any length of time. I guess the roadie issue with them is that they provide a smaller platform for your foot so can be less comfortable over long distances?
    Pretty much, yes. That was actually the reason I went with SPDs to begin with, because I hate the feeling of not being able to walk easily. (Also means I'm not sliding all over the floor in bathrooms or convenience stores!) I'm probably eventually going to make the jump to proper "road" pedals on my next bike for the bigger contact area, as well as something with a shorter spindle (for my knees).

Use the cleat covers. How much walking do you do when wearing your shoes? Generally, it's not more than walking to a bathroom or porta-potty, or into a store/restaurant for food.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport