Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Unhappy Enough to tip you over the edge!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Life can be so frustrating, so at long last I feel healthier than I have in many years, in the last 4 months have varied my daily exercise to either, walking, cycling, badminton, swimming, minimum of 30 mins to 1 hour.

I thought I would try running, I don't think I even ran as a child, or if I did I was always last.

Found a super Pod Cast called Couch to 5K, downloaded it onto my iPhone and off I went, don't laugh but it was 5 mins warm up walk, then 60 secs run, 90 secs walk and so on, until I had run a grand total of 8 mins!

21 April, it was a beautiful day and I was so excited, two days later the same thing but this time the weather was awful but I didn't mind, total elation and fascinated I was running BUT having trouble with my knee, something that has never happened before.

The days went by and still painful knee, visit to chiropractor to be told it was coming from my sacroiliac joint, OMG, more pain with the treatment.

Knee still painful, despite RICE! I now wonder why the hell did I even bother trying, what with my son calling me weird and my partner telling me to stick to riding and to be careful, even my chiropractor told me to check with my consultant from when I broke my back, to find out if it was OK to try and run or not.

Fortunately it did not ruin my 62nd birthday having a couple of nights away down in wet and windy Devon, despite hobbling about, so I thought I would share a photo that I took, note deck chairs all empty!

OK rant over, being serious, it is only a slight hiccup, I will soon be back to 'normal' but perhaps not running.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

A happy belated birthday Clock and I hope the knee heals soon. Love your spirit.

The photo brought a smile. I can't believe they had the deck chairs out. Were the people having picnics in their cars by any chance? It's has been absolutely dismal weather wise - rain for days here in London. A beautiful day today though and I washed my bikes. But it's started raining again...

HBD Clock!

I really think that running stuff is for the younger gals, unless some of us older ones are blessed with great joints... guess I'll stick to biking too.

Electra Townie 7D

Many happy returns of the day, Clock!!

The last bout I had with running was about 20 years ago when I ended up spending about the same amount of time icing my feet as I did running on them.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Happy Birthday, Clock! (((HUGS))) about the knee. If you do still intend to run and get an all clear from health professionals to, my friends love Chi Running. The book drove me batty reading it, but it has some very good pointers for keeping the impact on knees low. My trainer during a course on adapted sports is 75 years old and he still runs an hour every day, so running is definitely not only for the young (or uninjured!)
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Happy birthday Clock!

Hope your knee feels better soon. +1 on Chi Running, if you decide you want to continue. Hopefully they've given you plenty of new core and hip exercises to help with that SI joint.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Happy Birthday!

I think it's wonderful you are so active and of positive attitue, despite physical challenges.

I am so sorry your knee it hurting!

Ok, I'm 43, and even tho I can't do impactive activities per doc's orders of some time ago... running still hurt like hell in more ways than one even when I was 23!

There are many runners who becomes cyclists out of default due to years of running and not being able to anymore. It's hard on your body.

Clock if your saccroiliac joint is off, it certainly can affect other things.

My saccroiliac joint has been miss aligned and causing me pain for almost a 18mos now. I do have a knee issue, but that injury came before at a different time. The pounding of the running, and just different position you hold your body could have been just enough aggrevation. Hate that when you realize that after the fact, ugh.

Hindsight in my case I think the final thing was a cleat misalignment in the shoes I teach in, plus over-use. Foolishly kept picking up more classes to help my bosses out, and extra bill money. Paying for that now.

Hopefully it will improve if you've stopped running and that was the kicker. You are such an inspiration and role model for staying fit for life, don't let the running thing get you down in the least bit!

Oh...I love the pic too...I kinda like it with chairs empty...sorta like peaceful desolation.

Good on you for trying running! It's something that's challenging enough on the joints that I doubt many in their 60s could start it up successfully, so don't beat yourself up about it if it doesn't work out. You can be plenty fit without ever running.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Happy belated birthday! At least you tried with the running. I used to fell run in my twenties/early thirties but far prefer cyling now
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Happy birthday Clock! I hope those joints start to feel better soon ...

I can relate to feeling like I'm not built for running. And with an injury history, too, if one is going to do it then best to ease into it as gently as possible.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

So many nice comments, it is appreciated, especially the advice given.

Back to my Chiropractor today who now says it is definitely a knee problem, so sat here with rather tight fitting strapping on my leg, there are lengthwise strips of some sort of sticky tape, something to do with my tendons, blah blah blah!

Have decided my running career is over. Thankfully there are plenty of other things to get back to once my knee is better, especially back on my bike.

Thought I would share this little gem, it took me ages flattening the deckchairs out, as every time I took a photo the wind blew them out again, perhaps they look better windswept.

BTW silversurfer Nobody sat in cars, I think they had all gone to the pub.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'