Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tights -- recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for tights that are good for temps in the high 40s-low 50s. No chamois. And suggestions?

The ones I see at the LBS seem like they are more appropriate for colder weather, with brushed thermal insides.

I actually really love my wool Kneekers knee warmers from DeFeet, and they are long enough to almost reach my ankles, but I find the tops of my legs get cold where they are covered by my shorts.

Thanks!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I personally like running tights. My current pair (that is really needing to be replaced) is a pair of Pear Izumis with zips at the ankles.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have Sugoi's MidZero Zap tights (running tights), which work quite well in the 40s and down to the upper 30s, depending on the wind. I've worn them in the upper 50s/ low 60s too (it wasn't supposed to warm up that much!), and they were almost too much, but not horribly uncomfortable. (Of course, I'd also taken my gloves off and unzipped my jacket...)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I really like the MidZeros, too. I also have what Sugui used to call their Helix tight. I think it goes under the name "Jackie" now. It's their lightest tight but is surprisingly warm (at least my version is).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I really like Under Armor's "Frosty" tights for conditions like that. They have a high waist and are REALLY stretchy, but not too heavy, so they're perfect over a pair of cycling shorts. They're also pretty long, so they have lots of room for leg/knee movement.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have some partly worn out ones that are better for when it isn't quite as cold.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I also vote for the Mid Zeros. I wear them in the 40s and low 50s, when it's cloudy or windy, below 55. Anything above that, I wear knickers or knee warmers (which are more like leg warmers on me). I can't wear them in the 30s. For that, I have the Sub zeros, which are great for the 30s. Sometimes, I wear my Ibex wool/Gore Tex tights that are really for winter sports, in the low thirties.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Another vote for Sugoi Midzero - I wear them well into the 50's, they are great for when you need something but it is far too warm to pull out the Amfibs.

So, update, with spring and summer warmth I held off on the purchase of tights, but now that fall is here I've ordered and received a pair of the Sugoi Midzeros. I just tried them on -- they're very comfy, and this is the warmest my legs have been all day. However they're a bit bunchy behind the knees -- has anyone had a problem with that? I'm hoping it won't get too irritating after a couple of hours of riding.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    So, update, with spring and summer warmth I held off on the purchase of tights, but now that fall is here I've ordered and received a pair of the Sugoi Midzeros. I just tried them on -- they're very comfy, and this is the warmest my legs have been all day. However they're a bit bunchy behind the knees -- has anyone had a problem with that? I'm hoping it won't get too irritating after a couple of hours of riding.
    I love my midzero tights, they are my go-to tights for temps above 40 and I also wear them under my jeans for hiking or camping if it is chilly. I've not noted any problem with them being bunchy behind the knees though I HAVE noticed they are a little tighter over my knees than my AmFibs - and my patella sometimes complains about that. Perhaps it is good that yours is a little looser in that area? Hoping you enjoy them as much as I do and they don't irritate you.

Just wanted to update this, in case anyone is considering buying these tights.

The bunching-behind-the-knee thing turned out not to be a problem.

I've worn the tights twice recently. First on a rainy day when temps were in the low 60s. It was drizzle/light rain, not a heavy storm. This was a 30-mile ride, with a long time spent at the rest stop and then hanging out afterwards talking to people. The tights were comfortable, and they dried quickly afterwards.

Last weekend I wore them for a 46-miler with temps in the high 50s, maybe low 60s by the end. It was cloudy with some peeks of sun at the start, and I was generally okay but for a couple of minutes I wondered if I was overdressed. Then the clouds got thicker and light rain started, and these conditions persisted for the rest of the ride. I was glad I had the tights on.

This weekend I think I will be testing them in sunshine but with cooler temps.

So far I'm pleased with them. Thanks again to everyone who provided advice back when I was deciding to buy them.

Gone but not forgotten:

Mmmhhh, maybe I needed warmer clothes when I rode my bike two weekends ago. It was 55 degrees and sunny so I figured it was okay to wear just my short sleeved jersey and riding capris. I was cold & kind of uncomfortable, but I was too lazy to go back home and get my leggings and jacket. I did make it through the entire 53 mile ride. I noticed other bikers had warmer clothes on -- wimps. I was just kidding!!!! I won't make the mistake of not dressing right again!
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Well everyone reacts to heat and cold differently. But for 55 degrees and sunny I would definitely be wearing long sleeves and something covering my knees, at the very least.

Then again I would not last one winter in the Twin Cities!! DC is cold enough for me.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    Mmmhhh, maybe I needed warmer clothes when I rode my bike two weekends ago. It was 55 degrees and sunny so I figured it was okay to wear just my short sleeved jersey and riding capris. I was cold & kind of uncomfortable, but I was too lazy to go back home and get my leggings and jacket. I did make it through the entire 53 mile ride. I noticed other bikers had warmer clothes on -- wimps. I was just kidding!!!! I won't make the mistake of not dressing right again!
    55 is long-sleeve wool base layer or arm warmers (with short-sleeve wool base layer) with a short sleeve jersey on top, light jacket (depending on wind), and probably leg warmers. Just a short sleeve jersey would be chilly!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...