Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting out of my comfort zone

To disable ads, please log-in.

My masters swim club is hosting the Oregon Association meet on the weekend of Aprl 13th. It's pretty exciting to have a big meet like this in our small town.

I've signed up for 6 events. The 1500, 800, 400 and 100 free. The 100 IM which I did for the first time last year, managed not to drown and was legal on all my turns and...

drum roll please...

the 200 IM

To say I'm a little nervous would be an under statement. Not only is it questionable that I can even complete the 50 m fly part of the IM, there are several different turns that you have to do that I've never done in competition before and most people get DQ'd on their first 200 IM because they screw up a turn.

So here I am, unabashedly asking for some positive TE energy to help to calm me over the next few days and to carry me through that 200 in the afternoon of Sunday April 15th.

TIA.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

It's yours, kiddo. You have more co*ones than most and they often take you far! Let us know how it goes.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Good luck to you, Wahine! I know you will do great. I'm so impressed!! I can only swim well enough to get through the swim portion of a triathlon and then I'm one of the last ones out of the water.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Of course you'll do the turns correctly. Good luck!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Well, you're awsume, so you'll do just fine.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Wow, you go girl! Kudos to you for getting out of your comfort zone!

My coach wants me to go to masters swim workouts and I refuse. I like my little comfort zone. Just the *thought* of swimming masters makes me feel like I can't breathe. Seriously.

I wish I had your bravery!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

YES! YOU GO, GIRL!

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

This evening after work is the start of the swim meet.

I'm supposed to swim the 1500 m, my best event. But I came down with a flu yesterday. My fever is gone, but I still feel beat up. I'm going to give it a try but it's not going to be pretty.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Good Luck, Wahine!!!! No matter the end result on the clock, you faced down something that makes you uncomfortable, and that makes you a total winner.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Thanks for the encouragement Susan!

I'm usually totally happy and in the zone on the 1500m. I'm just annoyed that I got sick just before it.

What freaks me out is the 200 IM on Sunday,. EEEEEEEEEEK.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement Susan!

I'm usually totally happy and in the zone on the 1500m. I'm just annoyed that I got sick just before it.

What freaks me out is the 200 IM on Sunday,. EEEEEEEEEEK.
    I'm so impressed that you're doing an IM. Knowing all those strokes makes you such a well-rounded swimmer. I can fake the backstroke (can't be too awful, as my Garmin 910 recognizes it as backstroke) but butterfly and breaststroke are total mysteries to me.

You mentioned that the turns are different. How so? (I can barely manage a flip turn and most times just do open turns. Any time I don't get water up my nose, I consider it a successful turn. )
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Good Luck!!! You will do great.

Good luck!
    Can't wait to hear the report. I know you will do awesome.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

My 1500 m race report:

I had a flu/virus of some sort that had me feverish on Thursday. I didn't sleep well, but the fever broke during the night. Iwas quite congested when I woke up. But like many days when I'm congested in the spring, I started to feel better after being up for a while and clearing my sinuses and lungs.

So I "raced". The first 500 m were dead on pace then I couldn't catch my breath and I slowed waaaaaaay down. In the end, my time was 1 min slower than what I had expected.

I'm OK with having a bad race once in a while. I'm really OK with it if I understand why. In this case, I just wasn't well. But I woke up this morning much worse. I was supposed to swim the 100 IM at around 9 AM, I was on some relays and I had the 800 free this afternoon. But I'm not going to make it. I feel worse than yesterday and with this much breathing difficulty, there's no way I can sprint, let alone do a distance event.

I'm resting today and hopefully I'll be able to swim tomorrow, even if it's at half effort. It's disappointing because I've actually put a lot of time and effort into getting ready for this meet. It's in our home town too.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    I'm so impressed that you're doing an IM. Knowing all those strokes makes you such a well-rounded swimmer. I can fake the backstroke (can't be too awful, as my Garmin 910 recognizes it as backstroke) but butterfly and breaststroke are total mysteries to me.

You mentioned that the turns are different. How so? (I can barely manage a flip turn and most times just do open turns. Any time I don't get water up my nose, I consider it a successful turn. )
    Susan, all the strokes, except for freestlye have very specific rules about how you start, legal turns and legal finishes. Butterfly and breaststroke require a 2 hand touch at the wall on the turns and the finishes. Back stroke requires you to finish on your back but you are allowed to turn over kind of at the last minute to do a flip turn.

So IM events require you to obey all the rules of that stroke during that segment. So on the 100 IM, you are do a fly start one length and a fly finish, into a backstroke start (which has to be on your back), so that becomes a special turn, 2 hand touch with a push-off onto your back. You don't do it anywhere else except in IM events. You sim your length of back stroke, have to finish on your back, then turn over during the turn to push-off on your stomach to make a legal "start" for breast stroke...

On a 200 IM the transition turns are the same as the 100 IM, but you also have to know how to do the legal turn for each individual stroke because now each stoke is a 50 with a turn in the middle.

Does that make any sense? It's kind of confusing when you first start trying it which is why I had to practice my turns so much, to make them more automatic.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS