Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artichoke?

Artichoke?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Trader Joe's had whole artichokes yesterday for $1.19 so I picked up one. I've no idea what to do with it, but am trying to broaden my vegetable horizons. I am looking for recommendations - what is YOUR favorite thing to do with whole artichokes?

Steam them and make an aioli for dipping
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I steam mine and then eat them with butter or ghee.

Basically, you cut part of the top off so that it will stand flat in about 1/2" water in a pan. Get the water to a simmer and cover for ~20 minutes. It's ready when the center leaves pull out fairly easily (if you've never done this before, try to pull out a center leave before you steam for a comparison). Then you just peel the leaves off one by one, dip the base of them in your butter or ghee and scrape the meat off with your teeth. When you get to the center, the leaves get all wimpy and pointy, so I just pull those off until you get down to the flower. Use a knife to cut the hairy stuff out of the center and you're left with the heart. Cut into eights or quarters and dip in butter. YUM.

I LOVE artichokes.

Check youtube for a video!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Admittedly it looks like taking off alot of external leaf to get to the real tasty part? But same thing for a fresh pineapple.

I'm happy to have it at a restaurant.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

The bottom of each leaf should be a tasty bit.
    The heart is a big tasty bit.

Eating them is very interactive.

In prep I use a mighty knife to trim the thorns off of the top of the outside leaves and scissors to trim the thorns off of the shorter leaves on the outside. Just peel off and pitch any crappy little leaves near the stem.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    The bottom of each leaf should be a tasty bit.
    The heart is a big tasty bit.

Eating them is very interactive.

In prep I use a mighty knife to trim the thorns off of the top of the outside leaves and scissors to trim the thorns off of the shorter leaves on the outside. Just peel off and pitch any crappy little leaves near the stem.
    This^^^^^^

Here's a nifty recipe, with pictures! I usually cook my 'chokes in plain water, or in the microwave. I may try this one though with garlic and bay leaf added to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    This^^^^^^

Here's a nifty recipe, with pictures! I usually cook my 'chokes in plain water, or in the microwave. I may try this one though with garlic and bay leaf added to the water.
    Hey Snap,

I used that same recipe this week! It works like a charm, and the mayo with balsamic is FANTASTIC!!!!

Maybe we should have artichokes this afternoon....

- Mel
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Yummm! I am looking forward to my experiment I don't have any mayo however, so will wait until tomorrow evening and have it as part of my (hopefully) post-long ride dinner. THAT depends on the weather, but now I am really curious about this odd looking vegetable. They didn't have it in cold-storage at the store so am just keeping it on the kitchen counter until I am ready to try it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yummm! I am looking forward to my experiment I don't have any mayo however, so will wait until tomorrow evening and have it as part of my (hopefully) post-long ride dinner. THAT depends on the weather, but now I am really curious about this odd looking vegetable. They didn't have it in cold-storage at the store so am just keeping it on the kitchen counter until I am ready to try it.

Thanks!
    Catrin,

The 'choke should be fine on your kitchen counter. I hope you enjoy your experiment! When I was eating my artichoke this week, I kept thinking how divine it was, and that all was right in my world.

Good luck on your long ride!

- Melissa
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

I steam mine and then dip them in mayonnaise. One quick note - don't eat anything on it that looks purple. That part is essentially poison. Make sure to scoop all the purple out before eating the heart and don't eat the purple part of the soft center leaves.
    They are delicious.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

I read on your other thread about eating more fat--artichokes are a perfect vehicle for gobs of tasty butter or mayo!

I read on your other thread about eating more fat--artichokes are a perfect vehicle for gobs of tasty butter or mayo!
    To think it took me 52 years to learn that we can eat more of the artichoke than the heart I look forward to the experiment tomorrow, hopefully after a nice long bike ride - weather permitting.

Hmm. Artichokes! At home we eat them boiled (I'd steam them here) with a vinaigrette of olive oil and lemon.

i read on your other thread about eating more fat--artichokes are a perfect vehicle for gobs of tasty butter or mayo!
    +10,000