Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Get better soon!

Take care and get better soon.

Thank goodness you had your son with you and of course you had your helmet on.

You poor thing, sending you lots of virtual hugs.

Get better very soon.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Ouch! Heal up quickly.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

OMG...

Rest and heal up quick!
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Saw the doc today. Said it would just take time to recover and take it easy as my brain can only process so much and then it needs to rest. I hate the cobwebs in the corner feeling of a concussion. After 4 days, I thought I'd be up and around more, but I'm still slow going. The one thing that is driving me nuts is not having my glasses. I look blind with my sunglasses, but I'm grateful I have them until I get a new pair.

Nice thing about seeing the doc was that I've lost 5 pounds from the last time I was there.

Part of me is scared to get back on a bike let alone go back to the trail. I'm sure that's normal too.

DH said when he went back to find my glasses and phone the back disc brake was gone. You can ride the bike with the brake being used.

When I'm up to it, I'll get up to the LBS to have them look at it.

Is there a trick to stopping on dirt? Regardless of what I did throughout the trail, I wasn't slowing down enough. It wasn't even a controlled slide. By the time I hit the hill and went through the dip, I knew I was done for.

I'm still new..2nd time through the course but if you can't stop on dirt, you are just asking for another accident. I didn't realize DH and I had gone the wrong way on parts of the trail the first time so my memory map was completely confused. The trail isn't marked very well so it's easy to get lost.

Bethany, I'm glad you're OK. Rest up and take care of yourself. Be patient. Concussions can be slow to heal and trying to force things to go faster will only make you recover more slowly.

This is a time to treat yourself gently.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope you stick to pavement for awhile when return to cycling. Take an easy. I fell last summer...on flat gravel path. Ridiculous, but it simply me not even thinking about where I was going.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Bethany, maybe ask about stopping techniques in a separate thread in the MTB section so more people will see and answer. I'm strictly a road rider, all I know is that when traction is iffy on two wheels (moto or bici) you need to use more rear brake, just feather the front which is the one that gives you steering and control, and shift your weight backwards to give more traction to the tire you can brake more aggressively with. Hopefully some of the MTBers will have more detailed tips and videos that you can ponder while you're healing and practice when you return.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Bethany, you might find a dirt/gravel road with some hills and practice braking there, feathering the brakes and taking it easy on the front brake, which has more stopping power. Try keeping one finger on your brakes and as others say, and shift your weight back on the downhills. Practice braking just up to but not the point where your front wheel locks. Having you front wheel lock up can flip you off in no time. You had mentioned before having a few near misses and not being totatally comfortable on the 29'er. I think stepping back to working on skills on easy trails and dirt roads can help.

I am not a mountain bike rider. Yet. But I did ride motorcycle dirt bikes for some years.

But take lots of time to heal first!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

A couple of good threads about braking:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=1668

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2691

They helped me learn to correctly use my front brake, and I'm much more comfortable on descents and turns as a result.

I know nothing about mountain biking as I'm a terror when on the dirt...but I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. It sounds like a hell of a spill!

Get better soon!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

This may be getting a little too in-depth for this thread, but I also vary the tire pressure depending on trail surfaces for better traction. But I'm not so great at avoiding crashes either its tough when you're just good enough to get yourself into major trouble.

Hope your cobwebs are fading!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Bethany, So glad you are alright. Take care of yourself and get some rest. A crash like that really, truly takes it out of you. Sending healing thoughts your way!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thanks for all the well wishes. Yesterday and today have the been the first two days where I'm doing great. I'm aware of everything, don't have the "birdies" flying around my head anymore and my head has stopped hurting.

When you finally realize your house is a disaster after 6 days, your rose bush you planned on planting is dying out on the porch and you wonder why you didn't call Lenscrafters to get a new pair of glasses the same day, things are sort of back to normal. Kicking myself about not calling Lenscrafters though. My local store has to order them in and it takes a week or so.

Now the problem is that I feel great I want to go ride, clean house, and dig a hole for the rose bush, but I know my brain is still healing. Sitting around the house is killing me but I just need to be patient. I have all the time in the world to ride a bike but I only have one brain so I'll just hang out and home.

Finally got a look at my helmet yesterday. It's got a nice crack in the styrofoam. Dang thing was really expensive too so I can't go out and buy a new one. I have a cheaper Bontrager helmet so I'm not stuck. Regardless of price I'm just grateful it worked.