Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Same saddle for road and mtb?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Over the weekend I acquired my new Trek Madone, the first road bike in the stable in many years.

Here's the question. Is there any reason not to put the same saddle that I have on two of my mtbs on a road bike? The stock Bontrager WSD on the new bike is.... not working. (*** hatchet, anyone?) I pulled a specialized Ariel off one of my other bikes as a temp fix and it seems great. I expect LBS to match is as close as possible. They have saddle guarantee but they aren't a Specialized dealer. I've logged hundreds of miles of singletrack on an Ariel, is there any reason I shouldn't use the same one for road?

thx.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I don't think there's a reason not to use it as a starting point, at least. That's what I'd do.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Congrats on the Madone! I got to test-ride one a while back and it was fun.

Also, I love your description of the Bontrager saddle. I've never met one I liked.

If the Ariel saddle is comfortable after a long ride on the road bike, then stick with it. "Road" and "mountain" saddle designations are suggestions based on what tends to be comfortable for each type of riding (generally having to do with firmness), but they're not binding.
    2011 Scott CX Team/Koobi Xenon
    2005 Bike Friday NWT/Selle Royal Lookin
    2001 Bianchi Giro/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1970s Centurion Le Mans/Ancient waffle saddle

I find that I can ride saddles on my mtb that don't work for me on the road bike. The mtb saddle is a good starting point, but don't be surprised if it's not perfect.

Congrats on your new bike!

I hated the bontrager saddle on my new Lexa also. I asked my LBS guy about moving my old hybrid saddle over to the Lexa. He said give it a shot, but don't be surprised if it didn't work, because my position would be much different on the road bike.

I tried it. He was right.

Can't hurt to give it a shot though!

I like a shorter and more slippery saddle on my mtb, so that I can get behind it more easily going down steep descents. The saddle on my road bike is too long and flat for that, but I can shift around a little on longer rides. But there's not a huge difference. If I could only find one comfortable saddle I'd use it for everything.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

If the saddle you pulled off your MTB is working, then it's working! What's the longest ride you've done with it on the road bike so far?

My experience is limited to my hybrid, but I'd agree with the others that a different riding position might mean different saddle needs. If you can go two to three hours with the same saddle on your road bike and no problems, I'd say you're good for the long haul. If you start to get any chafing or pressure at all at that distance, I'd keep looking.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler