Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hip Bursitis related to cycling??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well I am 95% sure that I have burstitis in my left hip- but going to Ortho tomorrow for proper diagnosis,etc. (it feels extremely similar to when I had a hairline fracture in that hip- but I have done nothing to fracture it.. and the same symptoms can be due to bursitis).

Anyone else deal with this as a result from cycling? If so- ideas for recovery and prevention in the future?

It flared up bad last week. I looked like I had a saddle bag on the left side. I have only ridden 3 times since, 2 times on the trainer- just easy 30 min spin (hr at 85) and 1 hour on the road yesterday, again really easy. Lots of icing and ibuprofen. Swelling has decreased lot but pain is still there.

Looking like I may need to have my fit redone. maybe actually shell out the money for the Retul...

ideas,etc. on dealing with it?

I have had cortisone injections in my right shoulder and would really like to stay away from that if possible but at the same time don't want to miss out on getting back into race shape after being off the bike for so long from the Lyme complicatins.

I have it pretty bad in my left hip, got it from playing wayyyy to much golf (plant left foot and pivot at the hip). It flares up on both my bicycle and motorcycle, but not on the scooter. So I think it has to do with planting the left foot and pivoting while singing a leg over. *sigh*

Treatment so are over the last few years has been cortisone shots which didn't work, I've had them in my knee and shoulder previously and they worked great, no idea why they failed in the hip. And PT, icing, stretching. Those worked better than the shots, but still took forever to "fix" the issue.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Pax!

It doesn't seem to hurt to much when I'm on the bike. but once off it is bad- it is waking me up at night- to the point where I'm nauseous and can't get back to sleep. Painful to sit on(which means all day at work), walking becomes painful after a little while(end of a 25 minute walk with the dogs results in me icing)

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Thanks Pax!

It doesn't seem to hurt to much when I'm on the bike. but once off it is bad- it is waking me up at night- to the point where I'm nauseous and can't get back to sleep. Painful to sit on(which means all day at work), walking becomes painful after a little while(end of a 25 minute walk with the dogs results in me icing)
    One small thing that seems to help is, while sleeping put a pillow between your knees when you're sleeping on your "good side". It seems to relieve that sick ache a bit.

Electra Townie 7D