Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike Information

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Hybrid that have owned for a few years. I brought it without knowing a lot about bikes. However, i love my Hybird bike. After reading post on this site i am wondering if I made the best choice? I want to start communting to work this week.

My question, can you commute on a Hybrid? Whats the difference with a rode bike commute?

Hybrids are perfect for commuting, especially if you like yours.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I think many people would prefer to commute on a hybrid. Road bikes are typically harder to install racks, fussier about potholes and nasty stuff in gutters (glass, debris) and if you have to use a sidewalk to get to your building, harder to deal with curbs, etc. I broke out my mountain bike when I tried commuting.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

My commuter is a hybrid. I would only use a road bike to commute if I had a very long commute.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Most hybrids are PERFECT for commuting! Which one do you have?

Agreed--hybrids make excellent commuters! They're less fussy than road bikes and not quite so heavy as mountain bikes.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

+1 for hybrid commuting. I like the more upright position as well, because I need to constantly watch for people trying to kill me.

does your bike feel comfortable? do you enjoy riding it? does it get your from A to B? than its an awesome bike no matter what its make or type.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    does your bike feel comfortable? do you enjoy riding it? does it get your from A to B? than its an awesome bike no matter what its make or type.

marni
    +1,000 on this - if you are comfortable on the bike then it is the best choice for you.

I am bot/spam wary...
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Thanks Everyone

I have the GT Hybrid Bike.

I'm more interested in why you think you made the wrong choice. Is this a case of "the grass is greener over there", is your bike not 100% comfortable, or are you feeling a need for speed?

I loved my mixte for commuting (upright cruiser-ish bike), but it didn't fit all that great and I wanted more gears. I then got a CX frame and I'm MUCH happier with it as my daily ride. Then I wanted more speed, so picked up a single speed road bike, and I love that one too and also commute with it (so much for wanting more gears ). It can't carry much weight or it gets wobbly, so it's not ideal 100% of the time.

Hybrids ARE great for commuting, they aren't fast but they're comfortable and can carry weight. Why do you think you made the wrong choice? If you're looking for an excuse to get a second bike, go for it! Different bikes ride SO differently, and there will be a huge difference between a touring bike (probably best for commuting) and a hybrid.