Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Biking to Lose Weight

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am very new to this side of biking (everyday biking). I want to lose wieght and have great legs like the other ladies I see on the road. However, it seems like a lot of the information online relates to race biking. I want to ride for fun and weight loss. This site is a great site for information. Are there any other biking sites that are solely related to weight loss and biking?

My Bike (Samatha) is a hybrid GT / Timberline - I brought her years ago to ride around town with my son.

I bought a new bike about 2 weeks ago and my plan in buying it is to lose wt and get into better shape. So I am glad to find someone else who is interested in losing wt and having fun. I have found alot of very useful info on this website!
    Trek Lexa S 2011

Lots of people on here have similar goals. There is a Health forum and a Nutrition forum, if you want something more specific.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I've lost over 80 lbs. cycling. Ride as often as you can. That's my only advice. Have fun with it. Eat healthy. And have a blast!
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Welcome- this is a great place to meet others. There is an ongoing weight management/tracking group here.

I lost over 25 pounds with cycling and have kept most of it off- I am about 4-5 pounds over my goal at this time but that's a lot better than most of my adult life.

It's not enough to just bike though. It's easy to eat extra if you don't also plan and track, especially if you start riding longer distances and have to fuel for the rides.

I had good luck with weightwatchers on line program. I also have found a community of cyclists on the weight watchers forum who have been very supportive and helpful.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Perhaps add some weight training to your exercise routine.

I haven't lost a whole lot of weight riding as far as I can tell (maybe 5lbs), because cycling makes you hungry! What I have noticed is a change in shape/distribution of weight. I have less fat around my middle, and a lot more muscle in my thighs and calves.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Ride, ride, and ride some more - and make certain to add some core strengthening and weight training. Both will help you on the bike and muscle burns more calories.

Nutrition is very important even if you aren't racing - you have to fuel your body for your activity level and make certain it has what it needs before, during, and after your rides. If your body thinks you aren't going to feed it enough then it will be very resistant giving up those stores. As for me, I've lost 50 pounds through cycling and weight training and also have reversed an early diabetes 2 condition (just barely over the line).

Welcome to TE, you have found a very good and supportive forum!