Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post

The Myka probably is my best bet but I hate, hate the color on this year's model on the top of the line 26 inch Myka. I do not want dingy gray. So, I would have to accept lesser components for a better color.
    Where did you see the dingy gray? I am buying a 2013 Myka Elite disc 29er that is charcoal/purple. The Myka 26 is the same color scheme. Did you see it in person or just reading off the website?

I ride a small Juliana and have a 29.5 inch inseam. I don't have a ton of clearance. I vaguely recall that the XS Juliana's standover height isn't much lower. I'd be hard pressed to believe it would work. Plus, it's not what I would call inexpensive.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I test rode a 15 inch Jamis Dakota when looking for a FS mtb last year. The 15 inch Dakota has extremely similar geometry to the 13 inch FS Jamis Dakar that I purchased. You might want to consider the Dakota, the price point wasn't bad at all (at least for 2012). My inseam is very close to yours, though you might need to go larger than the 15 inch frame as I require a shorter reach than others. I thought the Dakota was a decent entry level HT with a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    Where did you see the dingy gray? I am buying a 2013 Myka Elite disc 29er that is charcoal/purple. The Myka 26 is the same color scheme. Did you see it in person or just reading off the website?
    I concur with TrekDianna. I saw the 2013 Myka Elite disc 29er in person at my LBS. It was a really pretty shade of charcoal/purple. Hopefully, you will be able to see one/try one in person. As a 5ft 1in lady with short legs/long torso/long arms, I know how hard it is to find bikes that fit.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Off the website, I am encouraged that it looks more purple in real life! Thanks! Online it looked terrible.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 09-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Off the website, I am encouraged that it looks more purple in real life! Thanks! Online it looked terrible.
    Well...since I bought it and it's currently in my garage, I will see if I can get a picture of it in the daylight tomorrow and post it.

Well...since I bought it and it's currently in my garage, I will see if I can get a picture of it in the daylight tomorrow and post it.
    Can you give us a review of the bike too? And thanks for setting me straight on the color.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myka_color.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	15369

No sun here today, but this is at least a photo of the color in the daylight. The gray is really a charcoal and it's metallicy. It's the Specialized Myka elite disc (WSD) 29er. I actually have plenty of standover! The bike itself is great so far. I took it out on the same 7 mile loop I do when I want to get some quick riding in after work. More than 5 miles of this loop are climbing and it's old logging road through the forest and up over a ridge. I stopped 4 times to adjust the saddle until I got it exactly where I wanted it and even with all those stops, this one was more than a minute faster than my usual loop time on my 26in -- I did notice a difference on some of the dips, they weren't quite as dippy. Since I've only taken it out once, I can't really review the cornering etc compared to my trek 26in. I might take it out on a longer ride today if I can get rid of the darn headache I woke up with this morning.
    Last edited by TrekDianna; 09-21-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: speling
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Very nice, and I love the color! Of course, I AM partial to purple and purple accents Congratulations and it sounds like the two of you will have a very nice honeymoon

OK, I have narrowed it down to the Myka that TrekDianna has, but with 26 inch wheels, and the Trek Cali, which is only offered as a 29'er but has a geometry that should fit me. Now to try to find a Cali to try out. Then I have to think about where I will be riding most and what bike will work best for that type of riding, if both fit.

EDIT: Can't find Cali's anywhere. I wonder if they are too new to be in the shops. None in Minneapolis.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 09-23-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

OK, I have narrowed it down to the Myka that TrekDianna has, but with 26 inch wheels, and the Trek Cali, which is only offered as a 29'er but has a geometry that should fit me. Now to try to find a Cali to try out. Then I have to think about where I will be riding most and what bike will work best for that type of riding, if both fit.

EDIT: Can't find Cali's anywhere. I wonder if they are too new to be in the shops. None in Minneapolis.
    I can't wait to see your final decision!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    I can't wait to see your final decision!
    Hey, I can't either! I am traveling back to Minnesota at the beginning of October and will talk to my favorite LBS then. They sell both Treks and Specialized bikes so they should be able to give me a good idea on what will work.

I do envy your Juliana, I'd love that bike. Give us an update on bunny hopping!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Hey, I can't either! I am traveling back to Minnesota at the beginning of October and will talk to my favorite LBS then. They sell both Treks and Specialized bikes so they should be able to give me a good idea on what will work.

I do envy your Juliana, I'd love that bike. Give us an update on bunny hopping!
    The videos that Irulan found for me helped greatly!!! I copied myself from my bunny hopping thread (see below). Now, I just have to figure out how to lift the back end of my bike for the full bunny hop because I refuse to go clipless due to safety reasons.

Holy Crap! TE forums work miracles.

I tried both front wheel lift methods. The first method did not work for me. The second video with Allison Dunlap's method works great.

I actually lifted my front wheel 3 inches off of the ground (inconsistently but frequently)!!!!!!

Now I just have to work on the timing. Once I get my timing down, I'm ready to try the foam noodle and then a curb.

When I get the front wheel lift technique down, I will try to do the bunny hop. In fact, I'm going to see if I can change the title of this thread to front wheel lift. Sigh. I just tried to edit the title, but I am unable.

Inexpensive mountain bikes

Google rear wheel lift mountain bike on you tube. It's easy to cheat on proper technique with clips, but quite doable with flats. Observe bringing the hips forward, the downward pressure on the pedals, and then the change of the angle of the foot and pedal pressure to bring the back of the bike up.You are almost "clawing" the pedal with your feet.

Last edited by Irulan; 09-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

combine the two for a bunny hop

edit : you tube is great for mtb tutorials.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM