Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Showers Pass Jackets

I am going to purchase a rain jacket soon. From what I've read, heard from friends/reviewed, a Showers Pass Jacket seems like it is the best choice for a jacket that will actually keep me dry. I already have water-resistant jackets. They are just that. In a constant, steady rain, you end up wet.
    I am looking for advice from women that own one of these jackets. Do they perform as well as stated? Which model do you prefer?
    TIA for any advice.

SR

I bought one through TE (the Elite, I think), after reading stellar reviews here. The design is really good and well-thought out, good material and excellent venting. The cut didn't fit me well enough, though, it was too boxy. I have quite heavy shoulders and a broad upper back, and ride with my bars fairly low. The size that fit over my shoulders without pulling left the rest of the jacket too wide and too short, and I eventually gave it to my dh.

For touring use and a more upright position it would have fit a bit better, but for daily commuting I would have preferred a narrower and longer profile. My dh is very happy with it though, and he is actually both narrower and longer... I think I'm just extremely fussy when it comes to fit. A very good jacket, if it fits you.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Sorry to chuck this in but I really find rain jackets don't work- no matter how big the pit zips or how breathable the fabric you in the end become wet from the sweat.

Instead DH and I dress for the chill and cold. We layer wool (which stays warm when wet) with warm, windproof jackets of heavy material. Yes we end up wet but we are not chilled. We also find that waterproof socks (Seal Skins) with waterproof overbooties are great also as it also is the water in your shoes that chills you down as well as being really annoying.

We also always took a change of clothes to our cycle club to change into as soon as we got off the bike so we NEVER wore wet clothing home in the car.

And when we rode in tropical rainstorms, we didn't even bother with wet weather gear, we just got wet. It was warm enough we didn't get chilled. Water gets in everywhere and you would probably have to wear rainpants, layered over booties and a huge jacket/poncho with a full hood to stay dry.

Well, I would rather be a little sweaty. I hate riding in the rain, but I had 4 days of torrential downpours on my tour last summer, and I decided I needed a better fitting rain jacket.
    I bought the Shower's Pass (not sure which one, definitely not the most expensive). I haven't had a chance to use it, but the number one thing i see as different from the 3 other rain jackets I have had, is that the material is extremely thin and not hard, like the other ones. There are very large pit vents and a mesh vent in back.
    I know wool keeps you warm while wet, but riding in the rain, even at temperatures of 70-75 leave you open to hypothermia, which can happen very quickly. I had the most unpleasant experience of getting caught in a strong rain, about 8 years ago, wearing just my wind jacket. It was probably in the high fifties, low sixties. DH and I booked it back to our car (he had a rain jacket on), where I proceeded to strip and let the heater warm me full blast, while wrapped in a beach towel I found in the car. I shivered for hours afterwards, despite the fact it was probably only 8 miles of riding in the rain. It was scary.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I have a Showers Pass jacket that I bought 5-6 years ago, plus a Pearl Izumi jacket made from the same eVent fabric that I got nearly 10 years ago. I wore the PI jacket while riding a century in a nor'easter (with temps in the 60s) and was dry and comfortable inside the jacket. Unfortunately it did not have have a drop tail, so I was soaked below the waist.

After that I bought the Showers Pass jacket, since it had a drop tail, plus features like the vented back and pit zips. I also got a detachable hood that has a small visor. I haven't had to test it in heavy rain yet, since I try to avoid riding in the rain. I do find the fit is a bit boxy, and would prefer something more fitted. It's possible that getting a smaller size would be a solution, I just don't want to spend the money to find out.

I do find that the eVent fabric is too heavy for riding in warmer temps in the rain, so when I get caught in a storm in the summer I just get wet and try to find a sheltered spot where I can wait for the storm to pass.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have a Showers Pass touring jacket. It's OK.

I was very happy to have it during a chilly, rainy week in Ontario last summer. That sucker is bombproof when it comes to rain. Love the drop-down flap.

For commuting at home here in Texas, however, it just doesn't do it for me. When it's over 60 out, the jacket it too warm and I arrive soaked in sweat. When it's below 60, I look out the window, remind myself that I really should get some real rain pants, debate about if I actually want to screw around with rain pants once I get to school, consider that my hands will be cold and wet too, and ultimately, I take the train. If I lived somewhere where it rained more often I think I would work out the other issues and be much more in love with the jacket.

Something that I do like about the jacket is that it looks very much like a conventional raincoat and isn't conspicuous off the bike.

I didn't buy the hood; got a helmet cover instead that I stash in the pocket.