Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport convert to MTB?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I thought that I was derailling a lot because I was new at cycling by 2011 Specialized Ariel Sport (it almost always derailled when I shifted my front gears from 2 down to 1 while going up a hill...my rear gears are usually already at the bigger cogs 2or 3 before I shift my front gears). I have already brought it into my LBS 2-3 times but the problem keeps occurring. I recently bought a 2012 Specialized Amira Elite road bike and have NEVER derailled on the hills. So, now, I am pretty sure that the derailling is not my fault.

My LBS said that they would look into my 2011 Ariel Sport again. I have already added a suspension post for the seat and upgraded the seat to a Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber seat (because I kept hurting my crotch from derailling so often...thinking that it was my error).

So my question is....Should I upgrade my 2011 Ariel Sport front derailleur to a Shimano XTR and add a thin 29 mountain tire to try and turn my hybrid into a moutain bike? Or should I just try to sell my bike and get a low end aluminum mountain bike?

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

I agree with Muireen, if you want a mountain bike just get one. Something also to consider is that mountain bike frames are beefier and designed to take the abuse on a mountain bike trail if that is what you are wanting to do - and you can get a decent little hardtail without spending a great deal of money. It really just comes down to what it is you want to do.

Spent too much money on bikes already

I am 5ft 1in and 115 pounds.

I initially bought the 2011 Specialized Ariel Sport because I didn't know whether I liked biking and whether I liked Mountain or road biking better.

I definitely love road biking and spent a lot of money for my 2012 Amira Elite with upgraded carbon handle bars (totally worth it though!).

My husband would like me to join him for an occasional MTB ride, so I was going to see if I could turn the Ariel sport hybrid into a MTB.

The good part about my Ariel Sport is that it already has a front suspension with a lockout and a suspension post along with 29 inch tires. The bad part is that I have already brought the bike in to my original LBS store twice for front deraillment problems, and this is still occurring. Another biker guy recommended a $20 chain deflector, so I will try that next.

If the chain deflector does NOT work, should I change out the front derailleur for a more reliable $150 Shimano XTR plus labor and change out to MTB tires or should I just buy a cheap MTB, which does not have lock out suspension nor a suspension post?

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

It took me several bike shops to get a shifting issue on my bike fixed. You might try another shop. I also ended up emailing the manufacturer and they put me in touch with a different shop to work with as I was not happy with the place I bought the bike.

As far as putting on mountain bike tires on your Sport, be sure that there is enough room for the width of the tire. I put knobby 1.7 tires on my Cannondale hybrid, that normally wears 1.5. So, the size wasn't much bigger. However, I noticed a couple of days ago that the inside of the fork has paint rubbed off of it, all the way through the paint. Even though it looks like the tire has clearance, riding clearly has causes the tire to rub the fork at times.

Because of this I think that I have to go back to narrower tires.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

These are the relevant parts on your 2011 Ariel Sport:

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano FD-M191, 31.8mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
    CHAIN KMC Z8 w/ reusable Missing Link
    CRANKSET SR SunTour Octalink spline, replaceable rings, w/composite anti-jump disc
    CHAINRINGS 48 x 38 x 28T w/ chainguard

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    If the chain deflector does NOT work, should I change out the front derailleur for a more reliable $150 Shimano XTR plus labor ...?
    Dropping chains off the little chainring in front is a lot more common on road bikes than on mountain bikes. This is because of the bigger tooth count differences between rings. Your 28/38/48 rings are an intermediate size, bigger than mountain rings, but smaller than road rings. The jumps between your rings are however the same as many mountain setups.

The curve of front derailleur cages is designed to match the intended chainrings. Your M191 derailleur is specified to work with either a 42 or 48 tooth big ring. An XTR M970 derailleur is only speced for 42 or 44 tooth rings. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it might be self defeating to switch to XTR.

Here's why your chain is probably dropping: When the chain is on the middle chainring and the larger cassette cogs, the chain is running at an angle that is pulling it to the left of the chainrings. When the derailleur forces the chain off the middle chainring, it wants to fly off to the left instead of dropping straight down onto the next smaller chainring. A chain deflector can definitely help here!

There are two things you can do without buying anything at all: Soft pedal as you down shift the front gears. Or, downshift the front before reaching the big cassette cogs.
    Laura

Mountain bike geometry is different, too. More suited to stability on the trails.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thank you so much for your advice and warnings.

My original LBS lowered the inner ring of the front cogs a little bit.

This helped some, but still occasionally derailed at the bottom of the hill. I now brought it to another LBS who checked out the problem and agreed that it derailed a little bit too easy. The second LBS said that they would either adjust the front derailleur or add a chain catcher/deflector.

Also, you are all correct that my hybrid does not handle mud or loose gravel well. However, most of my MTB will be on packed dirt and my hybrid seems ok on that.

Also, you all did help me confirm that MTB tires will rub on the back end of my hybrid and not fit well.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

TigerMom is offline Reply With Quote

An update. The second LBS shop had Paul the mechanic at La Habra Cyclery in Southern California. Paul was able to fix the problem by swapping out my front derailleur for a new one so that a chain catcher/deflector could fit. I was seriously thinking about selling my recently bought 2011 Specialized Ariel sport hybrid and buying a cheap MTB, but now, I feel more confident about riding my hybrid up a beginner trail.

Super happy today! I will definitely consider Team Estrogen's advice about buying a MTB if I do more than beginner trails.

Glad you were able to work something out!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Sorry to bother Team Estrogen with yet another question. But, this forum has been a HUGE help for a newbie like me.

Another local bike shop mentioned Cyclocross tires to turn my 2011 Specialized Ariel Sport into a "29er Mountain Bike" instead of using MTB tires (which they agreed would rub against the back frame). What do you gals think about that?

I turned my Specialized Ariel into a mountain bike after realizing that I really liked biking on the trails. It may not be the best mountain bike, but it's been working for me so far on some decently gnarly trails. All I did was throw some Kenda Karma tires on there. 29" x 1.9" will fit. It's a squeeze, but it fits.

specialized 2011 ariel sport disc

I just bought this same bike. On my 2nd ride it did the same exact thing.
    I also thought it was the way I was riding it. I've had is less then a week.
    I also took it back to where I bought it and they said it just needed adjusting from being ridden. Is this a wide spread problem with this make and year?

Am I baked with this bike?

Quote Originally Posted by pirate16 View Post
    I just bought this same bike. On my 2nd ride it did the same exact thing.
    I also thought it was the way I was riding it. I've had is less then a week.
    I also took it back to where I bought it and they said it just needed adjusting from being ridden. Is this a wide spread problem with this make and year?

Am I baked with this bike?
    The second LBS that I brought it to, swapped it out for a X7 front derailleur (because this is a little higher than the original front derailleur so that they could add a chain catcher on it). I have had NO problems with derailment at all even on tough climbs. My only problem is that my wheels have no grip so I have to go very slow down hill and if I hit mud/sand...my bike just stops. Then I have to walk up. I am waiting until October, so that my LBS will have a sale on the carbon Fate Comp 29er that I have my eye on.

TigerMom is offline Reply With Quote

Tire Tread and Technique both play an equal part in maintaining tracking on hills (up and down).

When climbing, try scooting forward on your saddle (might be a tad uncomfortable, but it won't last long) and lowering your chin close to the handlebar. No, really, closer than that! WAY down. Sounds wierd, i know, but seriously, try it. You'll be surprised how much more traction you have in this position when climbing.

Decending tracking is all about weight balance and brake modulation. Takes practice, and lots of it, along with the ability to trust your balance will prevail when traction doesn't.

It is very very common on new bikes that the derailleur cables stretch out and need adjusting, sometimes a lot within the first few rides. That sounds normal to me.

As for descending, the above post is right. Look to your technique before you run out and spend money on tires. If you need more help on descending skills, let us know.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM