Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: numb toes??

Talking numb toes??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just got my new bike a few days ago. I have about 50 miles on it so far. I noticed yesterday that my toes were feeling tingley (?) and kind of numb. I was wearing my Nike shoes and trying to use the clip and strap that came with the bike. I do not have specific bike shoes to ride with. Any suggestions?
    Trek Lexa S 2011

One foot? Both feet? I wonder if the combination of shoes and toe cages is too tight to allow good circulation. Have you tried loosening the straps or taking the toe cages off all together? (It's pretty easy to take them off, or at least, mine were.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Hmm, that happened to me the other day as well in both feet. I have been using double sided platforms pedals with Pearl Izumi SPD shoes lately. I was wondering why this happened. The temperature was around 84 degrees so it wasn't weather related. I think I have to lower my seat since I changed shoes after the fitting. Hopefully is that. ???
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Another possibility is the tennis shoes are allowing too much flexing of your foot. You might want to try shoes with stiffer soles.

Maye, you should be able to go back to where your fitting was done and have them make adjustments to account for the new shoes. This should be done at no charge & shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" (Robert F. Kennedy)

I would agree that the shoe is probably flexing too much. That would be even more of an issue if as a new rider you were pedalling a bigger gear that requires you to push down through your foot harder. Try a stiffer soled shoe and try to use your gears as much as you can to keep your pedalling cadence high.

As others have mentioned, your saddle height/bike fit and circulation to your feet can all be factors too.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by jusdooit View Post
    Another possibility is the tennis shoes are allowing too much flexing of your foot. You might want to try shoes with stiffer soles.

Maye, you should be able to go back to where your fitting was done and have them make adjustments to account for the new shoes. This should be done at no charge & shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
    Thanks! I'll go back there and make the proper adjustments.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Smile

Thanks for all the info. The first time it happened it was both feet. The other day I tried a different pair of shoes and it only happened to one foot. Both times the rides were about 20 miles, temperature was about 50 degrees or colder. I did have a bike fitting when I picked up the bike but I had only my jeans with me and not shorts. They told me I could come back for fine tuning the fit. The bike shop is a 3 hour drive (I live in the middle of nowhere) so I won't be able to just stop in without making a special trip. I will start to look for some shoes with a stiffer sole or maybe some bike shoes. Any suggestions?
    Trek Lexa S 2011