Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face Maybe TMI... For ladies only...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will be doing the HIM ( my first) next month and I am concerned that I may be expecting a woman s day either on my race day or the day before. What would you do if you are expecting a woman's day? any suggestions?

I use the Diva Cup for my menses and it works great. Here is a link to a thread here on TE about it.

I have other tri friends that still use tampons and will usually just change their tampons during T2 or on the run if needed.

Remember, this is your first HIM and as long as you finish, it will be a PR so taking a minute out of your race to take care of things is no big deal.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I never had any luck with the reusable menstrual cups and after trying 2 decided it was too expensive to keep experimenting. I do really like the disposable Instead cups, though. They are good for about 12 hours and I don't have leaky issues or feel like they're going to fall out (unlike the issues I had with the Diva and Mooncups).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I never had any luck with the reusable menstrual cups and after trying 2 decided it was too expensive to keep experimenting. I do really like the disposable Instead cups, though. They are good for about 12 hours and I don't have leaky issues or feel like they're going to fall out (unlike the issues I had with the Diva and Mooncups).
    This is interesting Zoom zoom. I would suspect that the issues were related to your very anteriorly rotated pelvis. Certainly anatomy plays a roll. It took me a while to learn to get the Diva cup in right so I didn't have any leaking. (It helps if you read through ALL the instructions ). But I will never go back now.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    This is interesting Zoom zoom. I would suspect that the issues were related to your very anteriorly rotated pelvis. Certainly anatomy plays a roll. It took me a while to learn to get the Diva cup in right so I didn't have any leaking. (It helps if you read through ALL the instructions ). But I will never go back now.
    Yup, I suspect the pelvis thing, too. I have a tipped uterus, so I know stuff in there is shifted around weirdly. I tried a large Diva cup and I think the smaller Mooncup (US). The large Diva cup always made me feel like I had a softball in my hooha and the Mooncup leaked. After blowing $80 on those things I didn't really see the benefit. Plus I had thermal ablation years ago, so most of the time I only spot enough to really need a pantyliner. I'll use a tampon for runs or rides on my "heavier" days. If I'm doing a particularly long run or ride, then the Instead is the route I go. I can't feel a thing when I have one of those inserted and they don't leak at all.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Woman's Day? Every day is a woman's day for me.

If you mean that you will be having your menstrual period on that day, you can use one tampon and expect to perhaps bleed into your tri shorts. Most of them are padded and black, so it won't show. Some women who run marathons prefer to use two tampons (side by side, not on top of each other). You can also ask the RD if there is a changing room/restroom for use during T2. This is uncommon, but it's worth an email.

Also, if you are having very heavy flow on the day of the race, I believe that Tampax now makes an "Ultra" absorbency tampon, which is a level up from the Super Plus. Not available everywhere, but I remember seeing them right before we left the US.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

This may be totally different from your situation, but just in case anyone is interested and doesn't already know: if you are on birth control pills, you can take your active hormone pills continuously (don't do the placebo week) and not get periods at all. I've been doing it for years. That's pretty much why I stay on the pill - I could use something else for birth control, but I like not getting periods.
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"