Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Judge not a cyclist by a kickstand

To disable ads, please log-in.

Are people that judgemental? Was over at a co-ed cycling forum that is guy-dominated who were doing the one upmanship in a light handed way about bike kickstands.

I guess in some roadie circles it's considered a "fred" or not a "real cyclist" thing.

Or maybe the idea is that a carbon bike should never have a kick stand.

I hope over time, we move beyond this type of narrow thinking.
    I think of the number of times I didn't want to lay down my bike with panniers attached on wet ground.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Well the levers on both sides of my commuter are all bent because I tried to use the kickstand that came with it. The things just don't work IMO.

To each her own as far as fashion. But clamping one onto a carbon frame? NFW. Carbon chainstays aren't built to have anything clamped onto them, least of all something that puts the amount of stress that a kickstand does. What would you even use for a torque spec???
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Totally do agree with you but however I would never want to clamp anything to my carbon frame like a kick stand- it would probably damage at least the gel coat if not crack the carbon.

I think I know what forum you are referring to. I find kickstands very useful but since my Ruby didn't come with one, I bought a click-stand and am very pleased with it.

second the click stand- great for cross country riding even without panniers.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I'm not sure I'd clamp anything to a carbon frame.

Whatever. I wouldn't put a kickstand on my bike (don't need one), but if you want to, go for it. Of course, considering I do plenty of other unfashionable things...well...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

just for those who don't know- click stand is a collapsable temporary kick stand with a u shaped top (selected by size of the top tube) so that it requires no clamping. the top tube rests in the u shape and the click stand extends to the ground. gloves in the brakes to keep it from rollein, turn the wheel 90 degrees to one side to brace and the bike is free standing, and safe. Plus the frame breaks down into three connected pieces that fit nicely in a jersey pocket.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    just for those who don't know- click stand is a collapsable temporary kick stand with a u shaped top (selected by size of the top tube) so that it requires no clamping. the top tube rests in the u shape and the click stand extends to the ground. gloves in the brakes to keep it from rollein, turn the wheel 90 degrees to one side to brace and the bike is free standing, and safe. Plus the frame breaks down into three connected pieces that fit nicely in a jersey pocket.

marni
    Thanks for the description, Marni.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've never owned a carbon bike. And I have 4 bikes. 3 hybrids and 1 folding bike. 3 bikes (which include folding bike) have a rack.

I've done 5,000 to 7,000 kms. annually for some years in cycling mileage.

Therefore, I hope a kickstand does not make me a freda.

Do I plan to get a carbon bike? No. All of my bikes get locked outdoors often and sometimes are unattended for a few hrs. Not interested in perpetual worry of stolen, costly carbon bike.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Thanks for clarifying about carbon bikes not taking the torque of an added kickstand. I couldn't understand why it was better to lay down a $2000+ bike on the ground than to have a kickstand. Other people had told me a kickstand adds weight to the bike, its dangerous in an accident or its just "wrong."

I'm going to check out that click stand thing, thanks!

I like to think of carbon bikes as throughbred horses. Look great, perform well in a race but not exactly something you would take out to attach to a wagon.

That's why there's so many different bikes out there. Each bike for every purpose. I am totally in love with the Dutch cargo bikes (with the cargo area at the front of the bike). A store near me rented out and had a BBQ bike (gas grill on the front), Chill box bike (icecreams anyone?) and trishaw bikes.

My carbon bikes always get leant against something- fence, tree bench etc. Would never "lay down". I have these really cool triangle frame thing that slips over the rear hub to hold my carbon bike upright if I go to a race as bike shops use to display bikes. It's too big or heavy to carry, but at the start or end of the race, while waiting for prize giving etc it's perfect if there's noting to lean against.

I can sort of see the issue of a kickstand that is attached permanently to a bike being a hazard while riding in a bunch and if wheels overlap. Kind of like how you are supposed to put the rear quick release lever running up along the seat stay- it's just another thing that could "catch" if some dofuss behind you overlap their wheel with your rear one.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Therefore, I hope a kickstand does not make me a freda.
    No more than my not wanting one, or a rack, on my everyday bike makes me elitist I don't ride a carbon bike, I just like riding a bike that is as nimble and lightweight as I can make it. For heavy-duty transport I prefer a trailer.

But there really is no correlation at all between riding a lot and owning or wanting a carbon bike, IMO. I don't have one, and I'm willing to wager that most of us on this forum don't have one either.

If (when ) I do more racing I will at some point want a better road bike, alu is a harsh ride on skinny wheels. But I'm a cheapskate and can't really see myself ever being willing to pay the price for a carbon bike.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

It is also a huge safety issue on road bikes. You do not want it coming loose and coming down while you are going 20+mph, either solo or with a group.

But yeah, If I stop at the store or coffee shop with my road bike, it gets leaned up against a wall- no reason to have a kickstand.

I am partial to the uncluttered look and have bad memories of unruly kick stands in my youth... I am always locking my bike to something that holds the bike upright. Just a choice to forgo the kick stand.
    I can see how a kick stand would be handy for some. The click stand sounds pretty cool.
    Opinionated, judgemental, males just like to make noise.