Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Lentil Recipes

Lentil Recipes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for recipes for lentils. The only way I've used lentils is in a soup - cook the lentils, add a little garlic, salt, onions and carrots, kind of bland. Any ideas? Thank you
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Sprout them. Seriously....they sprout very quickly and make very tasty sprouts.

I also use lentils in salad. Cook them. Cool them. Serve with a good balsmic/oil oil dressing and chopped veggies. If you eat cheese, sprinkle with a salty feta; if you don't, salted chopped almonds and olives.
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

Thanks Thorn, never thought of putting them in salads. How do I 'sprout' them?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

A good way to change out the soup is make it a curry. We use a small amount of lentils or mung daal . Generally, we cook the lentils with sweet potato or squash. After these are cooked toss in lots of vegetables, whatever you have. Chard. Spinach. Cauliflower. Asparagus. Tomatoes. Just about any veggie you can think of.

The spouse toasts pumpkin seeds in an iron pan and tosses them in. Toss in some raisins. He cooks the curry spices in a bit of ghee and that is the last thing that goes in the soup. Oh, except for a bit of one kind or another hot sauce. We like our soups spicy.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Thanks Thorn, never thought of putting them in salads. How do I 'sprout' them?
    We first encountered sprouted lentils at a farmer's market in Madison, WI. Up until then, I thought sprouts came in two flavors: alfalfa and "spicy mix". Needless to say, I've since expanded my repetoire -- and, in winter, fresh sprouts are a welcome treat.

That said, my sprout method is to use Ball canning jars. I've cut an old screen for under the lid. I soak the lentils overnight and then for the next couple of days, rinse, drain well, and then put the jar on an upside down angle on the counter under a towel. I'm a fanatic and I rinse the sprouts 2-3 times a day.

Brown lentils sprout consistently. I've never had a failure. Puy and black lentils work pretty good, but I find I like the simple brown lentil sprout better so I save the Puys for salad. Red lentils are usually sold split so they won't sprout.

http://www.redbookmag.com/recipefind...l-chorizo-soup
    Only I use Turkey Chorizo and kale instead of spinach. Rave reviews every time I make this!

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/lentilsandrice.htm
    Super filling and versatile.

http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2011/0...bacon-lentils/
    From my 4-hour-body days, nom

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    Mujaddara? Classic lebenese or hillbilly? Hmmmm....interesting how multiple cultures can have similar recipes; or how recipes migrate from what you'd think were disparate cultures?

Note that the lebenese version is topped with caramelized onions--to me, the best part.

Has anyone made a lentil veggie burger recipe they liked and care to share?
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I make a red lentil soup with diced tomatoes, onion sauteed in olive oil, ground coriander, black pepper and a little salt. Use broth for more flavor (chicken or vegetarian).
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

It's funny I just cleaned out the fridge and made soup with just stuff I had on hand and came up with the BEST soup ever. I used lentil soup (Amy's), dried onions, carrots, trader joe's turkey meatballs and a can of chicken broth. I seasoned with a good bit of fresh garlic chopped up and a bit of Worcestershire sauce. I added a little sea salt and pepper. I just let it simmer covered until the carrots were done. It was freaking awesome. I just finished the last of it.

I use Amy's Lentil soup to make stuffing for baked stuffed peppers too. Last time I used goat cheese, arugula, various veggies I had in the fridge and a can of that soup. I worked out great and the peppers were super tasty.

For those who don't like to use canned foods, lentil soup is one of those things that is almost as easy to make in an enormous batch as a small one, and it freezes really well. DH and I call it wonton soup, because we start with one ton of lentils.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler