Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

I think I found my bike but questions about the bike and LBS

To disable ads, please log-in.

TE folks, you have all been so helpful. I really think the best advice is to try everything!

I really love the Cannondale Quick!!! No matter what bike I sat on, I never felt like I was comfy. Whenever I sat on the Quick it was comfortable right off the bat! Surprisingly, the best feeling one so far was the base model (Quick 5), alloy frame and fork! It had a cushier saddle. The higher models come with a different saddle. I suppose with better components I can order the cushier saddle for it.

Here's the question. When I tried out the Quick 5, the front tire had a fluttering sound. Not quite a rattling sound. I tried telling the employee but it didn't go further. From my research it sounds like loose spokes? I can go back to the store (small retail chain) and ask them about loose spokes. The guy was generally nice and helpful.

I'm worried about buying something that might have something already wrong with it. Do I deal with that specific bike? I might order the next model up anyway. Because the employee (though like I said nice and helpful for the most part) didn't look into it further should I trust dealing with service there? I know the one employee may not reflect the rest of the employees. There is another closer LBS (small retail chain) who sells Cannondale but I feel bad about going somewhere else after testing store #1s bikes.

Sorry for so many questions---one seems to lead to another!

Go to the other bike shop and at least feel them out. Don't feel bad about it.

In my (limited) experience, bike shops don't sell the floor model until the next year's bikes come out, so unless it's a 2011 Quick, you probably don't have to worry about it.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Congrats, good choice imo! It is a nicely balanced, fairly smooth and quick bike for a hybrid. I have a Quick 3 that I love. I tried many, many hybrids, and the Quick was the best for me. In fact, I'm looking to get a CF road bike now, and my Quick 3 is my comparison. Most aluminum frame road bikes have not been any faster than my Quick. I feel at one, very balanced and glidey.

Whether to go up a model depends on what you're looking for in your bike. If you want something with wider tires for dirt and gravel the 5 is fine. I wanted something we could set up more as a flat bar road bike, and with the narrower tires the 3 was perfect. I have it set up in a more aggressive, less upright position, with more stretch. The Quicks can be quite upright too, if that's what you prefer. The narrower tires of the 3 are faster tyhan the 4 or 5on pavement. The lower models will be slower. If the 4 or 3 are what you want, it's cheaper now to get it than to want to upgrade in a couple of months (ask me how I know THIS one!). So try to ride them, and see the difference. Get EXACTLY what you want before you pull the trigger!

The saddles are not terrific on the Quicks, unless it's positioned exactly right. I just upgraded. It's an easy switch. My experience has been that my shops DO sell that particular bike on the floor. They don't sit long this time of the year, often they've just been put together and brought out to the floor. If for any reason you're not happy ask them to assemble a new one, once/if you decide to go with the 5. I wouldn't accept a noise in the wheel. But it may be an easy fix.

I have a Cannondale Quick and I love it too, after I made a few modifications. I got the Quick 4. I think that it is substantially better than the Quick5. If I had to do it over again I would get the one in my size with the best components. I had no idea that I would end up riding this bike so much! I ride it twice as much as I ride my much more expensive road bike because it is a great, go anywhere bike. FWIW, the kickstand mount interfered with the cables when shifting so if you end up with a shifting problem, that is something to check out. It took three different bike shops before that was figured out. That may have been an issue specific to my bike which is on an extra small frame.

I did change out the saddle. At first a really squishy saddle might seem nice but they can end up being less nice the more riding you do. I have Terry Butterfly saddles on all my bikes. They seem to work for me. I also added Ergon grips which really helped with some wrist issues.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

If spokes are loose enough for you to hear them, they're loose enough to send the wheel way out of true. You'd notice that under braking even if you weren't looking for it. Next time you're in there, spin the wheel, check that it's reasonably true, touch the spokes to be sure none of them are grossly loose.

I can't quite figure what kind of sound you're talking about, but if they had the wheel reflectors on (in the USA they're legally required to sell them with them on), there's a good chance those might be noisy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The other thing I can think of is the brakes. If there's grit or something in them, mine make noise...

goldfinch, glad to see that you love your Quick. I'll check out the kickstand mount next time. I'm thinking of the 4 or 3 model.

Oakleaf, I'll check on the reflectors too. I'm trying to remember anything else about the noise...a subtle, fast-paced ticking...you're right, could be the reflectors but I'll check the spokes too.

Owlie, I know you said your experience is limited, but in your experience the shop would order a bike instead of the floor model?

Muirenn, thanks for the links...I didn't think about the squishy comfort saddle factor...I guess it could make sense...someone buying the base model might not be into a more performance oriented parts bike? Grrr! The explanation of how a the size of the saddle works makes so much sense!!

Thanks!

Hey Molasses, I just bought a Quick 3. My son said my bike was so hot that it was almost as cool as his. I'm not sure he has a grasp on thermodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by molasses85 View Post
    Owlie, I know you said your experience is limited, but in your experience the shop would order a bike instead of the floor model?
    That's how my shop works. They have some boxed bikes ready to be assembled around (it's a local chain, so they have the faster-moving sizes/bikes lying around, and probably one of everything in their network somewhere), but they won't sell the floor model until it's time to get rid of it and put the new stuff out. They had an Avail 3 stick around for two years, though! This helps avoid the issue of damage that just happens with test rides, or clumsy people like me hitting it with a door when they go test ride.
    If nothing else, you should be able to ask them to order one for you.

Owlie, around here the floor models are sold. Stores don't keep much of an inventory. I suppose it varies from shop to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by molasses85 View Post
    I'm trying to remember anything else about the noise...a subtle, fast-paced ticking...you're right, could be the reflectors but I'll check the spokes too.
    Could it just be the normal sound of that particular freewheel hub?
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

The 3 and 4 are both very nice. If you're going to do mostly paved surfaces the 3 will be faster. Both can handle gravel too.
    Last edited by MGM; 04-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.