Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need a new floor pump

To disable ads, please log-in.

The seal on my floor pump has, I think, finally gone.

I need a new one. Does anyone have suggestions for a reasonably-priced one? I can't do more than $40.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Check and see if there's a rebuild kit available for your old one, first. Lots of pumps have them available for $10 or less. Your LBS would probably have to order it in, but that shouldn't take too long.

My Serfas TCPG has been fine ... but they don't offer a rebuild kit. When it starts to wear out I might even check whether another company's pump heads and/or gaskets might fit it. I'm also needing to rebuild my Spec' Air Tool Comp (might not have to do that so soon if I hadn't been using it on both Schraeder and Presta valves) - rebuild kits for that are $3 I think.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My current pump was a clearance Performance pump. This looks like it may be a possibility: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...rue&quantity=1

The only problem with this option is that since my pump was a cheapy, I'm not sure I can actually take it apart and use this.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    If you can afford it, buy a better floor pump.

That's what I did after using a worn out, cheapie pump for past 2 yrs. If you bike several times per week, it's worth it. Unless you live near a bike store or someone whom you can borrow a pump conveniently.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Call Topeak customer service. They are really helpful.

I replaced the head on my Joe Blow Sport (shouldn't have needed replacement, but it did). It's really easy.

Check nashbar! My pump is finnicky... some pumps it has a seal, others I go straight to the bottom (surprise!). Still works about 60-70% of the time though
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

I just bought DH a Serfas from Amazon. About $39, I think. My Serfas has lasted many years.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Can you return it? I had a 2 yr old specialized pump on which the gauge quit working. I took it into a different store in a different state without a receipt and asked if they could help me repair it or something... They gave me a new pump! I'm not familiar with Performance's return policy, but maybe if you walk it in and find a nice guy he'll work with you.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

I really like my Joe Blow sport floor pump, it is substantially better than the cheap (and soon bent) cheapie pump that it replaced. I'm not how much they are on your side of the pond, however.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Another vote for the Topeak Joe Blow Sport. Moderately priced, dual head (rather than those silly "smart heads"), good volume and pressure, and a plethora of replacement parts. They're the pumps that we use at work (when not using a compressor), and I have one at home as well.

Another vote for Joe Blow. Good, sturdy pump. I've had one for 3 years, and my neighbor has had theirs for at least 5.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    2009 Felt ZW100 (Gone but not forgotten)
    2010 C'Dale Synapse 5 Carbon Fem | Koobi Si Classic | "Cinders"

Another vote for the Joe Blow!! AS you can imagine, my pumps get used a ton... in the shop and out. I've used Park and several other brands, but nothing compared to Topeak. There are rebuild kits, customer service is great and quite frankly I don't see any reason to change at this point.

I've had lot of pumps over the years, and the inexpensive pumps are exactly that... unreliable and leave me frustrated when they aren't wokring.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Update: either I missed it before, or Serfas added rebuild kits for their pumps. You have to click the little wrench icon and then small parts for accessories (or just the link below), and it takes you to a page where you can buy a range of replacement pump parts. Yay! Got two new gaskets on order.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I love my my Blackburn Air Tower 2. I've had it for almost 3 years and never had a problem with it. It has worked fine with both Schrader and Presta valves. I just realized it doesn't look as good as it once did - what with traveling with me on my mtb adventures, but that doesn't mean anything

I did end up getting a Joe Blow. I like it, but it does have difficulty forming a seal on the presta side (not sure about the Schrader side, since I don't have tubes with Schraders). Odd.