Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Flexibility issues

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been a devout stretcher and practiced yoga for years, but I still don't have much flexibility in my legs (particularly the calves/hamstrings/glutes) and the left leg is much tighter than the right. When I do a challenging ride, I'll develop tightness and dull pain (almost like the pain caused by overstretching) in my left calf and hamstring. Though the right leg will feel tight and fatigued, the left leg is always significantly worse.

I'll take any suggestions at this point! Yes, I've had a bike fit. I stretch right after rides and stretch my hamstrings and calves on days when I don't ride and I use a foam roller nearly every day.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Thanks so much for all the info. you provided! I'll give this stretch a try before lightly stretching the rest of my legs.

Any thoughts on if I should lightly stretch or do some yoga after a ride when the muscles are hurting?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

In treating me for a hamstring injury late last year, my sports med doc emphasized that I needed to hold my hamstring stretches for a least a minute. As he explained, when you first start the stretch, your brain will first attempt to contract the muscle to protect it. For that reason, he said you needed to prolong the stretch to basically work past your brain's initial reaction.

My favorite hamstring stretch uses a yoga strap (or anything else that you can wrap around your foot. Lay flat on your back, lift one leg above your head and place the strap around your foot. Keep your back and head on the floor, along with the other hip (don't let it ride up). Hold the strap close to your foot on both ends and gentle pull your toes toward your head so that the stretch extends to the calf. Hold for at least a minute before switching legs.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Lots to consider and try. Thank you!

Oh and neither my chiropractor or bike fitter saw a leg length discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Stretching......This stretch warms up the glutes, which makes it easier to open the hips, quads, and hamstrings. The next exercises I do are similar, but opening and extending. Way too much explanation for that, and too much at once.

Oh, I know I didn't mention the calves, etc. But it's important to stretch those I mentioned first and extend through the rest of the leg. Focusing extensively on one problem area can just aggravate the area, and cause more tearing of muscle tissue. (The mini-tears that happen while stretching)...
    I tried this stretch tonight after my ride - my legs just won't do it and my knee wasn't happy...so I will need to find another way of getting here. It does give me the idea though and I did stretch for a longer time period and in different ways after my ride tonight. I didn't especially feel in need of it but that doesn't mean much.