Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specialized Dolce/Road Bike Questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone! I am looking into a new road bike and am on a limited budget. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the Specialized Dolce and there are two options, a Dolce Compact and a Dolce Triple. Do any of you know the difference between the two? I was reviewing the specs and am having a difficult time understanding the differences. I've also been looking into the Giant Avail 3. Any suggestions ladies?
    Thanks!

I have a 2006 Dolce Elite. (It has a triple Ultegra/Durace combo) It might be time to upgrade, but it has been a good ride for me. Fits well. Fit should be your first concern.
    In general, Giant and Specialized can spec a pretty good bike because they make and sell so many of them. But make sure it fits.
    As far as double vs triple... most are probably going compact double. But some will not leave their triples. As far as gear ratios go, they cover the same ground. The compact double just has fewer (some would say too many) options. Best to test ride the difference.
    S

Welcome to TE!

Provided they have the same level of componentry (Sora? Tiagra?) The difference between the two is a matter of gearing. The Compact has a compact double crankset, and the Triple has...well, a triple crankset. Two chainrings vs. three. This also means that there will be some differences in the cassettes (the gears in the back)--you lose the small chainring with the compact double, so there are usually more easy gears in back to make up for it. Which one is better largely depends on your level of fitness, and how hilly your area. Shifting, though is usually nicer on compact doubles than on triples.

I have an Avail 3, though it's a few years old and the componentry isn't exactly comparable. In similar measured sizes the top tubes are weirdly long. So you'll probably have to go a size smaller. (Specialized fits me better.)
    Do you need a women-specific bike? If you have long legs relative to your torso, you might.
    Other things to check out: Cannondale Synapse, Jamis Satellite, Trek Lexa. Test-ride everything and get what feels and fits best within your budget. Happy shopping!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have a 2009 Dolce Elite and went with a compact double instead of a triple. My other two bikes are triples, and it's sometimes hard for me to get into the 'compact double' mindset when riding the Dolce...I catch myself looking for more gears at times. If I had it to do over I'd get the triple, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to make the switch. It's a matter of personal preference.

I tried a number of road bikes but the Dolce kept putting a smile on my face when compared with the others. Ride as many bikes as you can until one sings to you. If your budget is limited, you also could consider a gently-used road bike in good condition. (Many high cycling aspirations can be found hanging in garages and hiding in basements.)

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

I've had a road bike with a triple, but now my road bike and CX bike both have compact doubles and I'd never go back. Cross-chaining is really not much of an issue with a compact and I have had only had one dropped chain in thousands of miles. With my triple (Shimano 105) I was forever having chains drop...frequently while just pedaling along and not shifting. Perhaps the issue is Shimano vs. SRAM (both of my current bikes are SRAM...technically my mtn. bike is SRAM, too, but that's a triple. I rarely use the smallest ring on that, though), but I suspect it's related more to triple vs. CD.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have a 2011 Dolce Triple. I replaced the stock 13-26 cassette with a Shimano MegaRange 11-34 cassette, and the stock 30t small chainring with a 24t. This gives me mtb gearing that has allowed me to make it up every hill without having to do the "walk of shame".

The problem is the chain drops I get when I shift from the 42t middle ring to the 24t. It drives me nuts! I adjusted the chain catcher so it's parallel with the teeth in the small chainring, so it's probably the huge difference in chainring sizes between the 24t and the 42t.

Here's a picture of it from last weekend's ride.

'Share The Road' sign in Coloma, CA by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I've had a road bike with a triple, but now my road bike and CX bike both have compact doubles and I'd never go back. Cross-chaining is really not much of an issue with a compact and I have had only had one dropped chain in thousands of miles. With my triple (Shimano 105) I was forever having chains drop...frequently while just pedaling along and not shifting. Perhaps the issue is Shimano vs. SRAM (both of my current bikes are SRAM...technically my mtn. bike is SRAM, too, but that's a triple. I rarely use the smallest ring on that, though), but I suspect it's related more to triple vs. CD.
    Odd. Maybe it's you. I have crap Shimano on my bike (triple), and have yet (knock wood) to get a dropped chain, save the one that was caused by my crashing on ice.

It probably is me...I never did like 105. Once I went SRAM there was no looking back!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I've got a 105 triple on mine too (long cage Ultegra RD) and I don't think I've ever dropped a chain (touch wood). Luv2climb, did another mechanic vet your gearing change? It does seem like a huge jump from middle to small ring. Why not change out the middle ring too? Geez, even on my regular road triple the middle ring is a 39. Seems like a 36 would be more in line with mountain gearing.

To the OP, +1 on test riding a lot of bikes and choosing the one that fits you best.

Basically if you need a wide range of gearing, the question of triple vs. compact comes down to what you'd call the powerband if your legs were an engine.

Are you comfortable pedaling in a wide range of RPMs - for extended periods if you need to? On your current bike, where the gearing makes its largest jumps, are you okay with that, or do you feel like you're always in the wrong gear, pedaling too fast with a downshift and too slowly with an upshift?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I've got a 105 triple on mine too (long cage Ultegra RD) and I don't think I've ever dropped a chain (touch wood).
    I suspect my FSA crank played a role. I've heard a lot of chain-dropping issues happen with the lower end FSA cranks, so it probably wasn't a Shimano/105-specific issue. Now I have SRAM Rival cluster with a Force crank, so there's no 3rd party issues to contend with.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I suspect my FSA crank played a role. I've heard a lot of chain-dropping issues happen with the lower end FSA cranks, so it probably wasn't a Shimano/105-specific issue. Now I have SRAM Rival cluster with a Force crank, so there's no 3rd party issues to contend with.
    My cranks are also FSA. It wouldn't surprise me, though. I had an FSA bottom bracket fail at 600 miles, so...

I will add my voice to the those with the dropping chain on a triple. My 2006 Dolce Elite originally had a triple but it constantly dropped the chain going from the smallest to the middle ring. I switched to a compact double and haven't gone back.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

I've never had an issue with my Ultegra triple.
    Of course, I have a resident mechanic who tunes the front derailleur whenever I feel anything starting to be "off." My triple shifts as smoothly as the compact on my other bike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My 105 triple really isn't that particular. A couple of times the clamp-on FD rotated on the frame, and when that happened it wouldn't shift into the granny at all. Eyeballing was good enough to get the FD back aligned properly - though there's a narrow window to keep the cage from contacting the frame when it's in the granny. Once in a while the cable needs tightening, as all cables do - the first sign of that is the chain will rub on the outside of the FD when I'm in top gear, and it can rub in the top two gears well before it starts affecting shifting.

My old beloved touring bike had a triple, I don't even remember what, but likely SunTour/Sugino. I very, very rarely dropped the chain on that. My hybrid has a cheap Shimano MTB triple (SRAM shifters), and while it doesn't have a ton of miles, it's gotten pretty much zero maintenance - just last week I replaced the brake pads for the first time, and the drivetrain is seriously crusty. I don't think I've ever had to adjust the derailleur cables once the bike was broken in. I've definitely never dropped the chain.

I dunno ... maybe certain frame geometry doesn't work as well with a triple setup? Because it's never been a problem for me.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a Compact on my Ruby and never had a problem. I have Sram Apex on my Dolce which is a Compact also and again, have no issues. I would go with the compact double as I think you will have less issues with it.

As far as the brand that would be up to you to try and decide. For me and my family Specialized fits us all right from the box and the brand we are most happy with. They have a wide array of sizes.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike