Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basenji mix?

Basenji mix?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies! I know a lot of you here on the forum have a ton of dog experience and I'm looking for some feedback.

My BF and I are hoping to adopt a dog. I have grown up with dogs all my life and consider myself a seasoned dog owner, handler/trainer. But I am mostly familiar with large breeds. My last dog was a bullmastiff and I loved him dearly. I would not hesitate to get another, but it's not just my decision.

My BF has never owned and dog and has been bitten several times. He's cautious about dogs but not petrified by any means. He has not been keen to get a dog before but that changed recently when we dog sat for a friend. The dog stayed with the BF during the day, (he works from home) and he really liked having it around, curled up at his feet while he worked and he liked taking breaks in his day to play ball in the yard. He took the dog out on some short runs and he got into teaching the dog little things like where it should lie down when we were eating etc.

Anyway, now we're in the market for a dog. Yay!!!

We'd like to get a dog in the 30 to 40 lb range so it can road trip easily with us and since it will spend most of the day with the BF, preferrably something very forgiving on the training side given my BF's limited dog experience.

I spotted a dog that is labled as a Basenji/Shepherd mix that fits the bill for size, coat and build. But I know nothing about Basenji's as a breed. I am trying to read up on them a bit but was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with them and could share some insight.

TIA
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

We had neighbors who had one when I was little. It was a very friendly dog. They don't bark - they make this weird howling sound instead. It was quite amusing.

I hope someone has more recent experience with the breed than I do. And I think it's mostly about how the dog has been treated as opposed to the breed. That said, I LOVE bullmastiffs.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I hope someone has more recent experience with the breed than I do. And I think it's mostly about how the dog has been treated as opposed to the breed. That said, I LOVE bullmastiffs.
    I would love to get another bully but the BF has put his foot down there. And he has a very good point. Over the next year or so there will be a lot of road trips in our newly converted sprinter and he wants a dog that can have a crate inside the van that won't take up the whole interior.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Hijack!

Who did your Sprinter conversion? We've been thinking about a trailer or a Provan Tiger for camping. The tent's okay... but, it's cold!

I know nothing about dog breeds, but I'm glad you get to adopt!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

BF did the conversion.

It took him about 2.5 months, cost about $10, 000. But it is SWEEEEEEEET!!!

I should start another thread and post pictures.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I don't know any basenjis personally but I believe that are hard to train. Everything I've read/heard relates that they're very smart and curious, but not particularly obedient. But you mentioned the dog was a shepherd mix so maybe the shepherd would make that easier. Basenjis are beautiful and interesting dogs and I absolutely love the noises they make.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Basenjis are cool and they yodel!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Basenjis, like any breed, can be hard to train, or they can be easy. That is a case for looking at a breeder where you can assess the parent's personality. However, bear in mind that with a mix breed dog, the descriptions are often just what the dog looks like, which doesn't mean that the suggested cross is actual. So reading up on the traits of the breeds may be an exercise in futility. Read the dog, not the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    BF did the conversion.

It took him about 2.5 months, cost about $10, 000. But it is SWEEEEEEEET!!!

I should start another thread and post pictures.
    Yes, please do! Very interested!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    Basenjis, like any breed, can be hard to train, or they can be easy. That is a case for looking at a breeder where you can assess the parent's personality. However, bear in mind that with a mix breed dog, the descriptions are often just what the dog looks like, which doesn't mean that the suggested cross is actual. So reading up on the traits of the breeds may be an exercise in futility. Read the dog, not the books.
    Thanks for this. I'm looking forward to going to the shelter to meet a few different dogs. It may be a little while, but hopefully soon.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Yes, please do! Very interested!
    Here is the link.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Well, seeing as the dog you have your eye on is a mix of a Basenji and a Shepherd, you might possibly have a big handful on your hands since both are active, clever dogs and active, clever dogs who are not engaged correctly will destroy stuff out of boredom. On the other hand, it IS a mixed breed and you may luck out and get a dog with the best of both temperaments and none of the hyperactivity. Can the shelter tell you more about the dog and it's temperament from the time it's spent in there? It would be really helpful. From all I've read about Basenjis, they seem like dogs with strong preferences.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Does your shelter let you "check out" dogs? If it does, you can take the dog for a day or so and see how it's personality is. If not, maybe you can spend some time with him at the shelter. You won't get a full idea of his personality after he has his forever home and gets used to you, but you'll get some idea.

Thanks Roadie gal. I'm not sure if they do but I'll lookin into it.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

If you can find a dog from a rescue group where the dogs are cared at a foster homes, then you can ask the foster parents of the dog's disposition.

Some shelters do have volunteers who spend play time with the dogs and would have some insight into the dogs disposition. So do ask.

And I totally agree with read the dog and not a book.

My neighbor down in Los Angeles had a female pit bull dropped off in his lap. He wasn't really looking to take care of a dog but he ended up with the dog. And that pit bull was the gentlest and friendliest dog I've ever seen. He did take the dog to a park and she didn't show any aggression toward other female or male dogs. I was pretty amazed at her calm disposition. So do read the dog and not a book.

I also knew someone with a besinji. He was a feral and domesticated. He wasn't socialized and definitely very hostile toward other dogs. Owner had his set of issues too and it didn't help the dogs disposition. I think with proper training and care, that bisenji could have gotten over his emotional trauma.

So find out about the history of the dog if possible and talk with the foster parents.