Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Need help planning tour

I need some tour-planning help:

My Seattle daughter is going to be getting her PhD this July in Seattle (happy proud Mom, here). My bike, William, has informed me that since I have nothing else, not even a steady job (drat it all) planned for this summer, I should go, do the proud mother thing and then ride back home to Lincoln, NE from Seattle.

William doesn't seem to care that we will be on a tight budget, that we are glacially slow up hills, or that getting his Long Wheel Base recumbent self to the start will be a logistical nightmare. None of this matters. I have been commanded to make it work.

To take the problems in order:

1) I'm thinking of shipping William by FedEx, or some such to a bike shop in Seattle so he can be put back together and be made ready to ride. My daughter suggests Recycled Bicycles (I don't think that's the name, but it's something like that), as they have a good reputation and are just down the bike path from her house. Any feedback on that?

2) Routing. My vague idea is to follow Adventure Cycling's TransAm route to Yellowstone, then head off across northern Wyoming to the Sturgis area in South Dakota, follow the Mickelson Trail down past Mt. Rushmore and then take Hwy 20/Cowboy Trail to Norfolk, NE. Then south to home. I could play tourist to a fare-thee-well, but I'm scaring myself with the thought of those Wyoming mountains. Thoughts? Routing suggestions?

3) I need new cycling shoes that don't hurt my feet. I wear a 10W shoe and have been having problems getting shoes that don't give me hot spots. Also, The Cat left a dead mouse in one of my cycling shoes which wasn't discovered for far, far too long. Suggestions for wide shoes with good arch support?

I'm not concerned about the camping/cheap moteling part of the ride. I used to do a lot of backpacking, have toured before, and I often go on S24Os around here, so I have my routine and gear pretty much dialed in - though I realize that there is a large possibility for unhappy surprises.

So, any thoughts? Warnings? Maps? Suggestions? I know better than to ask to be talked out of it here in this crowd of enablers.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I have nothing helpful to say except that I love William.

Good for you and William!!! had to laugh as the DH told me "Chief" is taking him on a trip for his birthday next week. We totally get it.
    Did you see the recent Adventure Cycling email about new routes in the dakota's not sure if that would affect you as it may have just been in North Dakota
    I would HIGHLY discourage you from riding through Yellowstone on any kind of bike in the Summer (sorry) but their are zero shoulders to the roads and traffic is horrid, horrid. (I grew up there) I am not sure what the bus transportation is like these days but it used to be possible to hop on one of the Yellowstone buses. Consider going around the park, perhaps dropping down via the Teton Valley on the Idaho side - driggs, victor, etc. that is a beautiful ride.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Wow! What an adventure for you and William!

I don't know anything about touring but I have a suggestion for your new shoes. I've found that it's virtually impossible to find shoes with great arch support right out of the box. Replacing the stock insoles with Super Feet can turn virtually any, high quality, athletic shoe into supportive shoe also. I usually have to buy 1/2 - 1 size larger than my casual shoe size to accommodate the extra thickness of the Super Feet insoles and to allow for foot swelling in hot weather.

Specialized also makes cycling specific insoles with extra arch support but they're more expensive than Super Feet and harder to find.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    WOW- I love that William suggested this epic trip!!! (leave it to our bikes to drag us out on such wild adentures).

What about Keen commuter sandals? The footbed is beefy for wide feet and you could put an arch-supporting insole in to give you the support you need (Super Feet, etc). I have wide, flat feet and my Keens are super comfy with my insoles. I absolutely adore my Keens. So much so, in fact, that I wear them when racing triathlons (wore them at my IM last summer). They are breathable, comfortable to walk in, and give you amazingly cool zebra-striped tan lines on your feet!

I had a friend who biked through Yellowstone a few summers ago and said it was bad (rented RV's who have no clue of their girth running him off the road, tons of traffic, etc).

I want to join you. Sounds like an amazing adventure!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

William demanded a trip one other time. I ended up riding across Minnesota and Iowa in unsettled spring weather. (Farabault, MN to just north of Sioux City, IA)

I'm a little worried about Yellowstone, but I figured that Yellowstone would be OK, as the Adventure Cycling route takes you through it. I'd be deviating from the "official" route while in Yellowstone, so there is that. I'll look at the maps again. I have muttered things about 'portaging' (renting a car) to get past bad bits. That may or may not be an option, as well.

Thanks for the insole advice. I think the problem is squishing my wide feet into narrow cycling shoes, and I've noticed that cycling shoes come in narrow and extra narrow. (Maybe not true, but that's my perception.) The reviews I read about the Keens talked about how they run narrow, so they dropped off my radar. I guess I'll just have to try them.

Anybody who wants to come along is more than welcome. Just be aware that not only do I bike slowly, but I tend to stop often and take pictures.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    how about men's Keens? Maybe a bit wider than a woman's version?

What time in July are you planning on going? School starts the first week of August, so I'd have to be back by then. Darn it- you have me thinking...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike