Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Surly Cross-Check Frame & Fork: price check, please

To disable ads, please log-in.

There is a 42cm Surly Cross-Check frame and fork for sale on my local Craigslist. Not sure how old the frame is (pics show some wear to the decals, but no dings or dents). Seller is asking $225. Also included are the seatpost, stem, and brakes. Does this sound reasonable? I dearly want a Surly, either a Cross-Check or a Pacer, and am wondering if this would be a good opportunity. I'm 5'5" with a 29.5 inseam. According to their website, the standover on the 42cm Cross-Check frame is 28.8", so I think it will fit me.

Thoughts?

Thx!

A 42cm might be a little on the small side. What length top-tube do you prefer?

My co-worker is your height and inseam. She rides a 50cm Cross Check.

Other than that, the price sounds very good.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Price sounds good, size sounds small...

I'm 5'5" with a 29.5 inseam and the bikes I've tried that fit me best were 50, 51 or 52cm. Both my bikes are 52cm. 42cm sounds way too small.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I'm 5'2" and have the smallest frame size for the LHT. They seem to suggest smaller than normal frames but I have to say - the LHT fits me very well.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Yeah, I guess I need to do a little more homework and check out the rest of the frame geometry. That s.o. height caught my attention and I didn't really look at the rest.

My inseam is very close to yours and I rode the 46cm LHT - a touch small but it worked for me because of some fit issues. It looks like the Cross-Check has a taller standover than the LHT - the 46cm would likely work for you, depending on your other needs.

My Gunnar (full one-off custom) is a 48cm...but I would ride a 51cm if it were determined only by my inseam.

Keep in mind Surly LHT's are meant to be ridden on a larger size as it is a touring bike, not a race bike. A cross check of course, is slightly different however we size people for a Cross Check the same as we do for an LHT, either way the 42 cm is going to be to small for you. I am 5'5" my PBH is 80cm and I fit a 54 cm LHT (I can do a 52 cm but not a 42cm) To read more about sizing here is the bike hermit's post on measuring your PBH
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Ah, well, it's a moot point, I suppose, since the seller never responded to my inquiry. The hunt for a bargain Surly continues!

Thanks for the advice, though!!!