Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How to polish a steel bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm surprised I couldn't find anything on this with a quick search 'cause I swear I've seen it discussed here before, but a friend is stripping an old Schwinn and wants to polish the steel to a mirror shine before putting on a clear coat. Anyone have any recommendations of the best way to polish steel?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Well, I'm not sure about steel...but I have a bare titanium bike and I've been told by my bike manufacturer to use Lemon Pledge on it.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't think using Lemon Pedge or Pedro's Bike Lust is what she's after here. She wants to polish it to a shine before applying a clear coat. I'm pretty sure that any substance like Pledge or Bike Lust would need to be removed before applying the clear coat.

Unsure, but perhaps you could call an approachable frame builder or company that makes steel frames and ask? I've found Waterford to be quite approachable, and if they could handle the rather odd questions I came up with during the design of my one-off custom Gunnar, I am sure that they would take this question quite in stride...

Would steel wool scratch? I just don't know, but that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    I don't think using Lemon Pedge or Pedro's Bike Lust is what she's after here. She wants to polish it to a shine before applying a clear coat. I'm pretty sure that any substance like Pledge or Bike Lust would need to be removed before applying the clear coat.
    Exactly. My first thought was, like Catrin's, steel wool, but I also wasn't sure if that would leave a smooth finish so I didn't suggest it to him.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

I don't know if I've done unplated steel, but I've had really good results with Simichrome.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Simichrome sounds more like what he needs, but this page mentions that it leaves a protective film. Would that create issues with the application of the clear coat?

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    You're right. I didn't really see that until after I posted and then had to scoot - so no time to revise!

Would something on this page help??
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

We've had two bikes powder coated and in both cases my LBS had them sandblasted and smoothed first.

Sandblasting's self explanatory, strip the bike and sand blast. Could you get equal results by laboriously using steel wool? Dunno.

He explained then they:
    1) carefully check it for rust of course then ...
    2) Check for dents, dings, scratches. They fill those. Don't quote me I think they used copper. Some kind of metal. They fill the dent then roll it down using a weighted tube to level consistent with the tube. If they have to do it several times to make it perfect they do. Why? Because stripped whether painted or clear coat those dings just stand out.

The result almost mirror like surface. Here's one he did (BTW no longer for sale):

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=23135
    Last edited by Trek420; 04-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Sandblast, check for needed repairs then probably something like different grades of rubbing compound. Any sanding or steel wool will leave fine scratch marks. I have used rubbing compound (medium to fine) for copper pipes used for shelving - silky smooth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Dunno if he's prepared for sandblasting, but that certainly makes more sense than steel wool. Thanks, all. If anyone has any more recommendations, keep 'em coming

I was going to go that route with one my steel frames. I stripped the frame with some citrus stripper in a can, started with steel wool and then moved to fine sandpaper. I tried a number of different polishes, I think Mother's makes a polish for steel. The only issue is that it begins rusting very quickly, so he should clear coat the frame asap after polishing. Does she/he know that steel still rusts under the clearcoat? It's more porous than primer/paint/clearcoat. That's why I ended up painting my frame instead... however, now that it's a beater bike, I'm tempted to try again :0)

*By the way, hi everybody! I'm not new to browsing this forum, but first time poster.
    Last edited by Halin; 04-17-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: *