Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've loaned bikes to friends........ never rented them out. My bikes are special to me. I don't know I could let just anyone use them........ even for good money. Would have to really think about this idea.

SR

I would loan my TT or commuter bike to friends or family to ride. As a matter of fact, my Surly is on loan to my daughter-in-law right now. (I'm hoping she gets the bike bug). However, no one, and I mean no one, gets to ride my Luna. I'm too afraid something will happen to it and it can't be replaced.

I wouldn't rent any of my bikes to a stranger.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I would gladly rent my perfectly ordinary bike which I am planning to sell. But I wonder about liability, and having to be home when people pick up/return the bike.

I checked rental prices -- respectable bike rental outfit charges $44 a day for same type of bike; the less organized and probably illegal operation on the Brooklyn Bridge charges $30-35.
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-11-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I am very protective of my bikes.
    When I commuted to my teaching job, I kept my bike (a Trek 5200 at the time) in the classroom. One time, one of the boys (7th grade) got a bit too close and I sort of went nuts! I mean, I never yelled as a teacher, but I think I raised my voice and said, "Don't get that close to my bike." Of course, later I gave him a "guided tour," as he was very interested in how the pedals worked with the shoes.
    Hardly anyone knows about Kuota as a brand, even though at least one of the teams in the Tour rides them. Mostly, at least around here, they are known as a tri bike manufacturer.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I am the same way. I volunteered last year at a local state park for an outdoor activity festival where the Hoosier MTB Association had a station and I rode my mtb from the satellite parking lot. This one kid just couldn't understand that my bike wasn't available for riding so I had to keep my eye on him, but it was also kind of cool to see someone his age so interested.

I checked out the Kuota website, and their bikes are pretty! While they don't make FS mountain bikes I noted they do make hard-tails.

I just can't see my "renting" my bike, any of them. They are customized for me, cost a small fortune (in one case took months to get) and who is to say the insurance even COULD replace them? Nope...though the concept is nice. I might consider loaning one to a good friend but it would require some thought. I would obsess over it the entire time it was gone...

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I checked rental prices -- respectable bike rental outfit charges $44 a day for same type of bike; the less organized and probably illegal operation on the Brooklyn Bridge charges $30-35.
    I guess location is everything. You can rent a car for that in my neck of the woods! Bike are more like $15.

I'd be happy to rent out my commuter when I'm not home to use it. But I'd want the rental agency to take care of maintenance. I'm not sure that lending to friends vs. renting to strangers is really different in that regard - I hate to stereotype, but I think it's more a male/female thing. We let a friend stay in our house for a couple of weeks while we were out of town and offered him the use of our bikes, and when we got back the house was fine but as far as DH's commuter bike, one rim was dented, all kinds of fasteners were loose ...

My roadie, nope, nobody rides that when I'm not there to supervise. And since I don't ride with anyone my size who uses Look pedals so we could swap bikes for a few miles, no one has ridden it but me.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My favourite isn't particularly smart or expensive but nobody rides my baby except me. She has history and can't be replaced, apart from being a joy to ride. If I owned some of the bikes that have been mentioned here I wouldn't let anyone go near them either based on their cost alone. Nice bikes ladies.