Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.sfhelicoptertours.com/charters/

This outfit offers helicopter charters for up to 6 people for $1,975./hr I don't know how old that website is, but just offer it for some perspective.

Clearly some negotiation is in order here.

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    As for your crash, it sounds like that loose asphalt and/or the eucalyptus debris was a factor, you may have lost traction in the debris and/or hit the loose asphalt and lost control. I hate to say it too, as others have, but maybe a lawyer? The city is responsible for the bike lane as it is for the street (unless you were on private property). I hate to sound like 'Oh joy, time for a slip and fall lawyer' but there may be something here other than you just la-la'd out and fell over.
    100% agree with this.

So glad you're feeling better.

I don't hate to say it: "Get a lawyer!"

In retrospect I wish we'd gotten a lawyer before doing anything else, before even talking to insurance. I've heard quite a few stories since then, and I would say no matter what, get a lawyer.

Of course, my opinion of lawyers has changed since my sister became a lawyer and my brother started law school (he graduates in a month!)
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Not sure about suing the city, but I did ask my brother who is a lawyer (but not that kind and he lives in Texas) what to do. I am also not sure if I can get the insurance company to do anything. I just got an invoice from them and all the medical costs seem reasonable (minus the big deductible) but the helicopter is not covered. I don't know if there is any recourse to get them to negotiate with the helicopter company since I was told it was medically necessary. I did get advice not to pay anything until some negotiation happens. We still have not gotten the final bill for this whole thing.

I will let you all know how it works out - whenever that happens. I'm thinking this will drag out. I did want everyone to know about the helicopter costs so that if you are in an area like mine, you could see if there is some sort of insurance. I need to check out that AirEvac. I did look at one site but it sounded more like getting you back from some foreign country rather than taking you to a nearby hospital.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce

Glad you are healing well. Good luck with whatever negotiations/legal actions you end up pursuing.

Good luck, and I'm glad your injuries weren't worse!

I had some initial trouble with my insurance company after a wreck a couple years ago (though I turned down the helicopter, not knowing how bad my injuries were) and for me, the phrase "life-threatening injuries" was enough to overturn every one of their denials. Granted, my problem was out-of-network doctors working the trauma center, but there's sometimes a clause in the fine print somewhere that forces them to cover transport coded with a serious threat to life. (Along those lines, if you can check your claims online or have the paperwork in hand already, you can double-check the code numbers for the transport - sometimes the billing people at the hospital will miscode something that will cause a denial when it shouldn't be).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

So, I contacted my insurance company today about the $23,000 helicopter bill. They said that the helicopter company had not filed a pre-certification so they denied their claim. They said I am not responsible for the bill. After I meet my $5000 deductible (I've apparently already met that), they will pay the rest. But the helicopter company would have to file the correct paperwork and resubmit. If they try to bill me directly, I should send it to them. This is different than what they told my husband the first time he called (that there was a $1000 limit on transport). I think the medically necessary part must trump that. Anyway, I AM RELIEVED! We haven't gotten all the bills yet. Don't know how long that will take and if there will be any more surprises. But $5000 sounds a lot better than $5000 plus $23,000.

Good to hear and this makes a lot more sense.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Well that is good news.

Though I don't understand how a helicopter company (or any emergency transport company) is supposed to pre-certify with the insurance company in a life-threatening situation. But anyway.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Glad you are okay. I had a very similar accident about 10 years ago. I was riding behind my riding buddy and our wheels crossed because I got too close to his rear wheel. I completely missed my 'copter ride, though. I was out.

I never received a bill for the helicopter ride, nor for the hospital. The hospital apparently had some management issues and shortly thereafter was taken into receivership, so I guess that's the reason.

Heh, I still have the bill for the helicopter ambulance ride from my crash, lurking someplace in my files.

It had, in very large letters at the top, THIS IS NOT A BILL, followed by something to the effect that my insurance company had been billed and that I'd hear back from them presently.

Didn't keep my stomach from dropping to the floor when I saw the amount, which was, coincidentally, about $23,000.

I ended up having to cough up a few thousand dollars, but, I consoled myself with the fact that it wasn't 23 grand.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Maybe this is why the do it, so we pay the several thousand willingly.

I'm such a cynic.
    LOL, that was my impression too.

I can't complain too much though. All told, the costs incurred by my crash amounted to something like $150,000 of which I had to shell out "only" (heh) about $8,000.

But, it could have been worse, financially and otherwise -- I recovered completely.

Best wishes for your recovery, featuretile. The fatigue does go away. You didn't mention any memory issues, but memory lapses are also pretty common with head trauma. Those go away with time as well ... I think.
    Last edited by jobob; 04-14-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Where do they come up with these numbers like $23,000? Yesterday I got a bill for $4000 for the ambulance that took me to the helicopter. I sent it to the insurance company. I agree that after seeing these crazy amounts, we willingly pay several thousand dollars. And never want to get in an ambulance or a helicopter again.

Health care costs are a nightmare. If I did not have any insurance (because of pre-existing conditions or cost or age - it ws really hard to get anything when my DH 'retired'), then the helicopter would want $23,000 and the ambulance would want $4000. And that does not include doctors and hospital costs. These bills would go to someone who doesn't have enough money to get health insurance (unemployed?). And of course, the insurance company gets discount rates where we mere mortals do not.

I did not have any memory issues. I was just a little slow the first few weeks and knew I should not drive a car because I questioned my reaction time. Two more weeks before I can try riding a bike again!

It should be no surprise that a majority of personal bankruptcies are on account of medical bills.

Hope 7 days out that you're feeling better and mending well. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I checked my insurance and although I would have to pay 20% in network or 5K out of network, that is so much better than no coverage at all.

I guess I will gripe a bit less this month when I pay my bill.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    2009 Felt ZW100 (Gone but not forgotten)
    2010 C'Dale Synapse 5 Carbon Fem | Koobi Si Classic | "Cinders"