Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My challenge

My challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

After reading a whole bunch this week, I have decided to commit to 2 challenges. First, I will ride every day for 30 days. Any amount will do, I just need to get out there. Next, whenever possible I will ride my bike for any errand within 2 miles of my house. Commuting to work is more of just an excuse to ride as I am 25 expressway miles away and 30 miles if I rode through neighborhoods. I know myself and I know I just won't do it!

So today, I rode to the grocery store and told DH I would pick up some taco bell for him on the way home. He said no, it would be cold by the time I got home (it's a whopping 2 miles away!). So I went on my merry way, picked up taco bell for myself and when I got home, my car was gone. He decided to drive to taco bell himself! So much for saving a little gas. Oh well, I got my bike time in!

Cool idea. i'm going to join you in the "every day for 30 days" challenge, since I need some extra motivation on some days. I'll count today as Day One, as I did a short (10 miles) ride with friends early morning, and did another short (7 miles) ride later.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I can't actually claim this idea as my own. I read it elsewhere on this site and it sounded like a good idea to me!

Love the challenge - Every day for 30 days. I think I will try that as well. Of course, I didn't ride yesterday but I did take a hike but hey today is a new day. I don't commute as I live above my store but I do take stuff to the post office on my bike, all the time
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Day 2, did 38.3 miles!
    Last edited by murielalex; 04-08-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typed the number wrong
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Love the challenge. I'll join you- except I'm going to Boston this week for business, so I won't be near my bike- but I'll start once I get home!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Way to go!
    Keep at it, who knows, maybe you'll inspire him to give it a try.
    Do you have cargo capacity? To keep food warm or cold, put it in an insulated lunchbox.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

good for you, slowspoke! I love the idea of setting days and a distance barrier. It's so much easier if you don't have to consider and re-consider every time, but just do it. Great way to go at it.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Good for you! All the best. I think the main link for the project is here - http://www.30daysofbiking.com/ - I am planning on doing the September one. It's a great idea doing shorter errands by bike rather than car, as those journeys are the most inefficient and uneconomic ones to do in a motor vehicle.

Slightly o/t - as I couldn't do the 30 days of riding challenge this month I'm instead logging and blogging all my journeys for 30 days - where, how, how much, how efficient, how happy they made me and so on. I'm barely a week in and it's already interesting.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Slightly o/t - as I couldn't do the 30 days of riding challenge this month I'm instead logging and blogging all my journeys for 30 days - where, how, how much, how efficient, how happy they made me and so on. I'm barely a week in and it's already interesting.
    hebe, do you have a link to your blog?
    edit: never mind, it's in your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    hebe, do you have a link to your blog?
    edit: never mind, it's in your sig.
    Glad you found it The first week of stats are going up tonight.

How's it going, Slowspoke?
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I just got back from a ride with my dog. It was cold and windy! Due to work and heavy rain, I have not been able to ride every day. I have ridden every day that I could! My dog's route is just 3 miles. It was cold and windy enough that by the time I got back, I felt winded and slightly light headed. Weird. Tomorrow I am either riding with my sister or going to the local bike trail for a nice 20 miler (assuming the weather holds).
    DH still rolls his eyes every time I want to ride by bike for an errand. Eh, what can I say. You can't save everyone! LMAO
    Touring this great country, one State at a time! Michigan Summer 2013.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    After awhile, you won't notice your hubby's reaction to your daily cycling errands trips.

You'll be feelin' too good from cycling.

There have been some months in some years where I did cycle daily for 30 days.

But then, we don't have a car.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowspoke View Post
    DH still rolls his eyes every time I want to ride by bike for an errand.
    Mine gets his feelings hurt when I go for a run. He feels judged & criticized that he isn't fit and working out. Poor guy. He's awfully sensitive. And I'm awfully inconsiderate. I try! (So does he!)

I really like your blog - I think that as I get into commuting that I will resurrect my old blog, we will see. I might just start a new one since I've not even looked at my old one for close to 2 years.

I did take the challenge for April and failed miserably...but next month is a new month. Part of my problem is that there ARE no short trips for me, so it is either heading out to the country for a long ride or commute to work (~31 miles round trip depending on route). I admire you for sticking to it and finding ways to do it - even if your DH does roll his eyes