Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Seward, Alaska

Seward, Alaska

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All!

We have been doing some extensive research on a trip to Alaska. One comment by many is that people go there and try to squeeze in too much. Also, Mt Mckinley cannot always be seen.

So, we really like everything we are reading about the town of Seward. A ton to do, and boat tips and kayak trips are offered. Also, the little town of Homer sounds like a nice place to go as well.

Anyone been to Seward? Any input will be helpful!!

Lisa
    Last edited by itself; 04-08-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

DH and I went to Alaska about 6 years ago for a friends wedding. We spent two weeks there. Seward was a nice town and we went kayaking. It was cool because they took us out about 5miles and dropped us off with the kayaks on a little island and we paddled back along the coast line. It was nice because it was just DH and I....so we had the water prett much to ourselves. I would not do it without a guide if you have never kayaked much or are not used to open choppy water. We saw all sorts of marine life.

As for the town from what I can remember was nice. Homer is more touristy. There was a nice restaurant in Seward near the glacier..I think it was north of the town. We spent 1 week in this area then head for Denali NP
    and spent 1 week there. We lucked out at we could see the mtn the whole time. We took the bus into the park as far as it can go. We saw lots of grizzly bears, wolves, etc. I am not typically one for group things but this was worth it. I think if memory serves me right we were not allowed to drive into the park with our car.

Hope this helps.

Solo biker,

What time of year did you go and where did you stay in Denali? Thanks so much for posting!!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Yes, when my mother was 85 she said "I've always wanted to go to Alaska, and I'm 85 so I'd better do it soon." We flew into Anchorage and spent 2 days there. On one we went on a birding tour, which was great. Very little walking was involved for Mom, and we got to see lots of birds, including 10 life-listers for me. We enjoyed walking around Anchorage, went up to some of the surrounding mountains for the view, and enjoyed some walks near the log cabin B&B we were staying at. Then we took the train from Anchorage to Seward. I highly recommend that train ride down the Turnagin arm. We saw the tidal bore which wasn't as dramatic as the Bay of Funday, but still was fascinating. We saw lots of moose and eagles enroute. While in Seward we toured a dog racing kennel, played with some of their pups, were cautioned to not approach any of the adults, had a demo of the gear used by dog and driver, and finally had a ride on their 4 wheeled summer training cart pulled by a full team. The next day we did a cruise out to the Chiswell islands, stopping to watch a Glacier calve, to see Mountain goats & kids, sea otters,Orcas, humpback whales, tons of marine birds including both horned & tufted Puffins, and Stellar sea lions. Then we made the one mistake of the trip. I let my husband talk me into going to Denali ("we can't go to Alaska and not go to Denali."). We took a tour bus from Seward to Denali, a long, tiring bus ride that was much less scenic than the train route. Since we were there in mid-May the road into the park was only open about half-way. We did get to see caribou, Dall sheep, and a Willow Ptarmigan. The saving grace of the side trip was that we took the train back to Anchorage. The Alaska trains are the way to go if you are traveling with an older person. We did get to see Denali, the mountain, on that return trip. All in all, we all agreed that Seward was the best part of the trip. We would have been better off heading over to Homer like you suggest. Have a great trip!

We went in early August. The weather was great. Warmer then I was expecting, temps were in the mid 70s with plenty of sun. We camped the whole time we were there and it took us awhile to get used to it being bright out at night. We were wearing sunglasses at 11pm! Enjoy your trip. I would go back. Very pretty area.

What time of year are you thinking about going?

Lets see if I can attach a few pics...sorry if it does not work or if they are too big/small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0701.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	14330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1851.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	14331  

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    What time of year are you thinking about going?
    We are going in August.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Thanks for the input. Also, everything we have about Anchorage has been great. This sounds like a great city.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Lets see if I can attach a few pics...sorry if it does not work or if they are too big/small.
    Where were those pictures taken? They are awesome!!!

It seems like we are focusing now on Chugach State Park, Seward and Homer. I think this will keep us plenty busy!!
    Last edited by itself; 04-08-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

The kayaking one was in Seward and I don't quite remember where the other one was taken. Have a great trip!!!

Check out info/responses on the Alaska Women's Network Facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/59600304753/