Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question The Titanic disaster

To disable ads, please log-in.

April 10 1912 – The Titanic disaster

I was thinking today, I do that sometimes, how events can change our lives, without us actually realising it.

I’ve never given it much though about the Titanic disaster, despite I was very priviledged to know Eva Hart who was a survivor from this ship but unfortunately she passed away in 1996, she did however, sign two books for my son. Eva Hart had a passion for French Bulldogs and she was a close friend of a friend, who also owned a French Bulldog.

Anyway, I suddenly remembered that my Mother’s parents who lived in Dublin, had planned to sail on the Titanic back in 1912 but changed their minds and 12 months later they had my Mother. Now had they actually taken that trip, they too could have perished and my Mother would never have been born!

Anybody else have similar thoughts or stories, yes, it is all a bit random.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    I suddenly remembered that my Mother’s parents who lived in Dublin, had planned to sail on the Titanic back in 1912 but changed their minds and 12 months later they had my Mother. Now had they actually taken that trip, they too could have perished and my Mother would never have been born!
    Whoa...that is some crazy thing to think about when you're falling asleep at night! Fate can be really freaky.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

My Dad was born in 1919 so I think about this from time to time. I did not know about it when my Grandmother was still alive so never got to ask how or if it effected her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

How did I not know that the Titanic disaster happened on my birth date (not year!) ? Wow. Impressed.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    How did I not know that the Titanic disaster happened on my birth date (not year!) ? Wow. Impressed.
    Well a special happy birthday to you for yesterday.
    Clock

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

Eva Hart.
    (Had to look).

And here is here book.
    Unfortunately, I can't afford to read it! The least expensive used copy is 48.00! I'll keep looking.
    Over the years on this site, I have been very fortunate to have had help for a variety of things, so it would be nice to return the favour to somebody.

I am more than happy to lend the book to you, just PM me your address.

Just updating and am pleased to say I have found the book, also you will notice Eva had it signed by Ronald C Denney.

Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 04-11-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added another comment
    Clock

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    Well a special happy birthday to you for yesterday.
    Thanks, ClockworkOrange.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    Happy birthday! April 10th is when it set sail... early morning on April 15 is when it actually sank (which I know because that's *my* birthday ).
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

What an interesting post. Clockwork that was some thought you had but so true. Titanic is one of my all time favorite movies along with the back ground info that goes with the true life disaster. I never new of a living survivor. wow!!
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    My Dad was born in 1919 so I think about this from time to time. I did not know about it when my Grandmother was still alive so never got to ask how or if it effected her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
    My grandmother lived through the flu pandemic. She was quite young but remembered it sharply. She lost a sister and several family friends. She didn't like talking about it much. But I do have a video of her discussing it for an ancestry project. She passed away a year ago.

I've also been trying to look through our family ancestry book (how cool is it that I have an ancestry book going back to 1775!?!?) to find the story about Jesse James ransacking the family homestead and holding them captive for a few days to eat, rest, and refuel before heading further west--and living to tell about it. Tall tale? Possibly, but it's in my book
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

My father went to Canada as a young man to join the RCAF during the war. He got off the train in a town he had never heard of, nor did he intend to stop there. But he thought it looked so pretty as the train rolled into the station. He got out of the train station and turned right, looking for the armory where he could sign up. He didn't find anything and asked a young man who was passing him on the sidewalk where it was. Turns out, it was right to the left of the station. Had he turned left, he would have found it himself.

The young man he asked ended up taking him there and telling him that if he had no place to stay that night, he could come home with him. That young man then went into the armory looking for my dad and in the end of the afternoon, he too had joined the RCAF.

That night they went to a dance and my father saw my mother across the room. The young man went to England as part of a ground crew and met a beautiful English girl in the RAF.

Right now, from these two men, there are over 50 people on this earth that wouldn't be here if my father had just turned left when he walked out of the train station, or if he had stayed on the train until Toronto.

And though my father died over 30 years ago, that guy he met on the street corner remained a huge part of our lives until he died a few years back. He saw my siblings get married, he saw my sister get her masters and me get my PhD, he celebrated some of my siblings 25th anniversaries, he saw my brother sworn to the federal bench, he held grandchildren my father never met. He was the father-substitute my family needed all those years. Again, all because my father took a wrong turn.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Possegal, that is a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    My father went to Canada as a young man to join the RCAF during the war...................................
    ..............................Again, all because my father took a wrong turn.
    What a lovely story, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

And here is here book.
    Unfortunately, I can't afford to read it! The least expensive used copy is 48.00! I'll keep looking.
    All packed and ready to post to you tomorrow, probably take a week.
    Clock