Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 117
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,501

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    No, I know it's a real problem. They don't want a repeat of Chicago what was it, two years ago.

    I just hope too many deferments don't affect next year's field... though it's early to be worrying about that I know.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,394
    Started week 5 of C25K. I went out alone at 6:30 AM, to beat the heat; it was already 61 degrees and about 80% humidity, as it had rained last night, apparently. I didn't set up a new program on my Garmin, just used the pace/time/distance screen (which I can actually see) to track the distance. I did a new route where I ran down my street, into a weird (for this area) neighborhood that is more like a planned community/development in other parts of the country. While it wasn't entirely flat, it was better than doing my last half mile run interval going up a 10% grade.
    So, I did 3 half mile runs interspersed with quarter mile walks, plus warm up for 5 minutes. Since I didn't have split times, I don't really know what my average was for the runs, but my overall pace was 11:20, which, I think is pretty good for including the walks.
    My right hip always is achy after runs, while my left side hurts from cycling. I am now even today .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,993
    Toasty, sunny, humid 5.4 mile run mid-morning. Starting out, my legs were lead, but I got into a good rhythm. By the time I finished, I was soaked in sweat---streams of it running down my calves!

    Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    939
    Ran on the track this morning for the first time in ages. No interesting speed work, I just used it to help me keep a steady (if quick) pace. The 3 miles on the track were at a 7:55 pace, the 3 miles on the streets getting there and back were much slower. It's got me feeling a bit more interested in doing my local high school's 5k this weekend...

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    TE HQ, Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    1,879
    It's so odd for me to read about those of you running in heat. I would LOVE some heat to run in. Seriously, I'm always cold and I do just fine in the warm weather, and even when it's hot.

    This morning I did 2600 meters in the pool, tossed on my run clothes, then went for a 40 minute run. At 7am it was only 36 degrees. My hands hurt from the cold until at least halfway through the run. Mind you, I'm wearing thermal tights, a craft baselayer, a windstopped jacket and thermal gloves with overmitts. And a hat. And wool socks. <sigh> I don't run without a jacket or vest until it's at least 55 degrees, and it has to be 60 or so before I can run in short sleeves. Even then, I need to carry (and often wear) some light gloves.

    As for the run, it kinda sucked. Some days I just don't seem to have any flow.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,501

    Come confidence, come confidence

    I went out with basically three purposes today: a short tempo segment, recalibrate my footpod which hadn't been working right at all since I moved it to the new shoes, and test out a fueling setup for the race (Nathan Gel Pak which I love love love, plus my newer Hydrapak soft flask - both of which I've reviewed here).

    Bottom line - my footpod was even farther off than I thought; the gel flask worked okay and didn't chafe on this short run, and was a bit more accessible than the hard flask in the same pack; and the pace felt really good. Threw in a few pick-ups on the last segment, yip yip yip. I'm going to test out the flask one more time before I make a final decision on gear. I know the hard flask works in that pack over a half marathon distance anyway, but it's a bit harder to get to.

    Then I came home and went through my old training logs, which I should've done already. Turns out the 14.5 I did on Sunday was the same loop I did two weeks out from Columbus marathon in '10. And although it was a little harder this time than I would've liked to have done in a taper, this time I ran it quicker ... by almost the exact difference in pace that I'm going to have to run the race vs. my overall average pace in Columbus, to meet my goal this time.

    This afternoon I'm seeing a new chiropractor (did I mention I hate moving?). The longer this goes on the more I think it's a collarbone that's out, maybe a scapula as well and maybe my sternum. Hopefully she can fix me up. I can race the way I am right now, but it would be so much better if my trachea didn't feel like something was pushing on it and my spine wasn't torqued six ways to Sunday.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    I did my three-mile beach run yesterday afternoon and had my fastest time yet. Overal pace of 9:59, which is the first time I've broken a 10-minute mile on this run ever. Just barely, but I'll take it. Temp was 82, strong breeze, some shade saved me, but it was still killer hot.
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    It's so odd for me to read about those of you running in heat. I would LOVE some heat to run in. Seriously, I'm always cold and I do just fine in the warm weather, and even when it's hot.

    This morning I did 2600 meters in the pool, tossed on my run clothes, then went for a 40 minute run. At 7am it was only 36 degrees. My hands hurt from the cold until at least halfway through the run. Mind you, I'm wearing thermal tights, a craft baselayer, a windstopped jacket and thermal gloves with overmitts. And a hat. And wool socks. <sigh> I don't run without a jacket or vest until it's at least 55 degrees, and it has to be 60 or so before I can run in short sleeves. Even then, I need to carry (and often wear) some light gloves.

    As for the run, it kinda sucked. Some days I just don't seem to have any flow.
    Wow..I love running in the cooler/cold weather. My body does not do well in the heat at all. In the winters here in CO when I am backcountry ski touring I rarely have a jacket on or a hat. If I do have a hat on it is usualy a baseball cap. Once the temps creep up past 70 I have a harder time with my running.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    TE HQ, Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Wow..I love running in the cooler/cold weather. My body does not do well in the heat at all. In the winters here in CO when I am backcountry ski touring I rarely have a jacket on or a hat. If I do have a hat on it is usualy a baseball cap. Once the temps creep up past 70 I have a harder time with my running.
    I've gotten so that I can barely stand the snow. For the past three years, Jeff and I, along with some friends and their children, have snowshoed in to a cabin up on the shoulder of Mt. Hood. This year, I begged off. I used my IT band as an excuse, but even if I'd been healthy I don't think I'd have gone. Last year I went, and spent most of my time in the cabin while everyone else played in the snow, built an igloo, etc. I just can't handle the cold any more.

    Sometimes when I go for a run when the temps are in the low 30s, I lose all the circulation in my toes. Sometimes I'll regain it 20-30 minutes in, other times not. It's hard running on numb toes.

    I have a very bad case of Raynaud's Disease, which has gotten progressively worse in the past few years. ON Saturday, we rode 52 miles in 60 degees, but I was dressed only in short sleeves. There was a bit of a nip in the air, and for a solid 10 miles, I couldn't feel my toes.

    When I retire, I'm moving someplace warm so that I can run & ride all year without fear of losing my toes. (Seriously, my PT warned me that I'm at risk for that, given how often I ride with frozen feet!)
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    I've gotten so that I can barely stand the snow. For the past three years, Jeff and I, along with some friends and their children, have snowshoed in to a cabin up on the shoulder of Mt. Hood. This year, I begged off. I used my IT band as an excuse, but even if I'd been healthy I don't think I'd have gone. Last year I went, and spent most of my time in the cabin while everyone else played in the snow, built an igloo, etc. I just can't handle the cold any more.

    Sometimes when I go for a run when the temps are in the low 30s, I lose all the circulation in my toes. Sometimes I'll regain it 20-30 minutes in, other times not. It's hard running on numb toes.

    I have a very bad case of Raynaud's Disease, which has gotten progressively worse in the past few years. ON Saturday, we rode 52 miles in 60 degees, but I was dressed only in short sleeves. There was a bit of a nip in the air, and for a solid 10 miles, I couldn't feel my toes.

    When I retire, I'm moving someplace warm so that I can run & ride all year without fear of losing my toes. (Seriously, my PT warned me that I'm at risk for that, given how often I ride with frozen feet!)

    I hope I did not offend you with my post...I was not trying to be rude or insulting in any way. I kind of figured you had Raynauds after I read your first sentence. That stinks I have worked in the medical field for close to 20 years and have seen it many times.

    My thyroid has been messed up for many years...over 20 years so when the Dr. starts messing with my medication I have a very hard time regulating my body temp( more so when it is hot/warm out..I get very nauseous). I guess it is a good thing that everyone is not the same otherwise we would all be trying to live in the same area.

    Once again...sorry if my post came across as insensitive because it was not meant that way all.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,394
    I do much better in the cold, although I haven't run seriously in anything lower than 34 or so (I'm usually x country skiing).
    Two years ago, I went for a 4 mile run on a beautiful, dry, clear New England day. I seriously thought I was going to faint when I got back to my car. It was 73 out, perfect. I felt sick the rest of the day. I get the same issue when I run on my treadmill at home and forget to put the room AC on or open a window.
    Somehow, I've managed to acclimate myself to riding in hotter weather, but I still hate it. And, I have to build up slowly. Yesterday, it was about 84 when I rode, fast for me, and I ended up with the same symptoms, although a little soft serve ice cream made it better.
    I think it has to do with the fact I lived in climate controlled cities for 23 years and never did anything outside, except sit my azz in the pool when it was 110.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,501
    I have a touch of Raynaud's, but with the wind chill it affects me much more on the bike than it does running. I'll wear shoe covers up to nearly 70F ... and short sleeves with no arm warmers at 60? Forget about it. My main issue with the cold and running is motivation. As I've said before, when I'm already freezing, it's a huge act of will to take off whatever I'm wearing (usually two or three layers of wool!) and put on freezing cold running gear.

    If I'm acclimated I don't mind heat. But it definitely slows me down. And in the last couple of years, temperatures have been so variable that it hasn't been possible to acclimate to heat.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    TE HQ, Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    I hope I did not offend you with my post...I was not trying to be rude or insulting in any way.
    Oh my goodness, heck no! I didn't mean to give that impression at all!

    I'm always amused at the different conditions we are all accustomed to and what we each consider hot or cold. Was talking to a gal in San Diego yesterday who says she considers it cold when it's below 60. I'm sure she does, but golly, that's a heat wave here!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    Was talking to a gal in San Diego yesterday who says she considers it cold when it's below 60. I'm sure she does, but golly, that's a heat wave here!
    I consider anything below 60 cold for sure -- even before I moved to Belize! But for running, I do best in 55-70 degrees. Not going to see that very often here. I think we've been below 70 about 5 times in as many months, if that, and never below 66.
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,627
    3 mile run today. It was a little to humid for my comfort level. I think it was at about 20% and 68 degrees.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •