Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

What I like about what cycling does for my thighs:

When I was not cycling regularly, jeans were tight across the upper thigh and seat, where my bigness was. When I do cycle regularly, jeans are looser there and tighter across the front mid-thigh region.

This pleases me. Given that I am extremely long-waisted, full in the hips and thighs, and pants are ALWAYS at least two to four inches too large in the waist if they fit in the hips, I like a bit more definition to my saddle bags.

(BTW this is why I have fallen flat in love with Pearl Izumi shorts. If you check the sizing charts, you can see that of all the makes, they have the greatest difference between the hip and waist measurements.)
    Last edited by Eaglewalker; 12-22-2005 at 07:49 PM.
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

they will keep growing but once you get to a stage in your cycling they sort of level out and stop 'bulging'
    just don't use big gears all the time and no weights, lol
    plus big thighs are kind of cute

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    The first time I saw a photo of these girls (attached), I thought "WOW! Now those are some strong, tough women!"

(I assume you all know who they are???)

I'd much rather be strong and tough than not...but then I fall into big-quads-genetically category, so I have to be happy with them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	williams.jpg 
Views:	11985 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	516  

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    (I assume you all know who they are???)
    Actually not, though I might well recognize the names. I don't watch TV, so I never recognize anyone's photo.
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

I don't watch TV either but do read women's sports publications, which is where I first saw a photo of Serena and thought "Now SHE has a hard time finding pants that fit in the legs!".

Venus on the L and Serena on the R. The Righteous Williams Sisters!

And that beautiful skin really shows off the definition, I think. Better than freckly, Irish skin like me!

Yeah, but those of us with freckly skin can get some nice tan lines!! (Mine is English, and my freckles don't go _totally_ crazy.)

I think nice strong quads are hot. I love how mine are developing from biking- much more than from horse-shoeing or running. Unfortunately, I have short little femurs. Oh well...

Nanci

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    proper stretching will not only improve your riding, but also lengthen muscles. I've noticed that since I've been doing pilates, my legs seem to be a leaner shape (and I'm just riding more, so it's all good). My core is stronger, too, which sure helps with the hills.

good news here. My fiance has very big thigh but after we've been riding a lot, his thigh became skinnier. For me, my jeans are tighter but if I don't ride for a while it comes back to normal.

so my analysis is that you'll definately lose some fat from your thigh and get some muscle because you are exercising. Some people may have skinny legs and might grow bigger because of the muscle but I don't think they'll get too bulky or look fatter.

I actually asked this very same thing from my spinning instructor just a couple of weeks ago after a girl who used to do spinning as well told me that she didn't want to do it anymore because she feared she would get big thighs. My instructor told me that in doing spinning you would not get big thighs in such but your thighs would eventually get a very nice shape.
    I suppose I have no choice but to believe her since her thighs are very lean and not too big at all
    For myself I have noticed that me thighs are starting to look pretty good and muscular. My true problem lies in the "love handles" or what ever the huge lumps of fat on your hips are called But I believe I'll get rid of them before summer though - or at least hope so

Since I started cycling, I've noticed that my quads not only look better, but feel better-nice and tight! The one thing that has been bothering me though is that the left leg is nice and round on the front of the quad, but the right leg still seems flat. I am very right-legged, so this surprises me. I wonder if I could be that I baby that leg because of a knee problem? Anybody else notice a diff between leg muscle development?

I used to be very self conscious of my thighs - and still am to some extent (poor body image is a hard habit to break); all those girls with skinny pins seemed so much more attractive.
    But then a strange thing started to happen, as I got more into cycling, and my legs grew stronger, I started to appreciate the fact they could power me along and get me up hills; I'd picture those skinny girls with their stick-thin legs and smile to myself because I knew their legs would never be so strong or as powerful.
    My legs are my trophy, my motor, my pistons, my accelerator (and even sometimes, my turbo fuelled injection engine!).
    Sometimes I sit on the couch and flex those babies and we engage in a little mutual appreciation session - I can see dips and hollows and muscles that never used to be there.
    I've now got calves - I never had calves before in my life! I'm so excited! In the words of "The Incredibles" Edna Mode: That's a new feature!
    It's all good!
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieK
    The one thing that has been bothering me though is that the left leg is nice and round on the front of the quad, but the right leg still seems flat. I am very right-legged, so this surprises me. I wonder if I could be that I baby that leg because of a knee problem? Anybody else notice a diff between leg muscle development?
    Yes! I have the same issue: right leg dominant, cranky right knee, and a left quad that is 0.5 inch bigger than the right quad (and the muscles are more defined in the left leg). I asked the sports medicine doc about it and he kinda shrugged and pointed out that in spite of our believing it should be true, our bodies are not totally symmetrical.

So I have one "shapley" quad and one "blah" quad.

And LauraPaura, let me know if you discover some magic secret to getting rid of those handles. I've been trying unsuccessfully for years!

Hmmm...maybe it's a Utah thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    And LauraPaura, let me know if you discover some magic secret to getting rid of those handles. I've been trying unsuccessfully for years!
    LauraPaura, ignore Yellow. It's all in her head. That 3.2 Utah beer is having weird effects on her.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.