Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new bike

My new bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just left my final fitting, am having some lunch, then off to ride. Here's my custom Gunnar with a Brooks B17. I tried a few different saddles, but came back to this one (already broken in on my Trek). I ended up with Speedplay Light Action pedals. They were easy to get into and out of on the trainer, so hopefully will have few to zero issues on the road.

John and Vince of Racer's Edge in Boca Raton, FL. Great guys!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

YAY!! Really nice bike and love the blue color!! Congratulations and share your experience with the Speedplay Lights since I'm new to them as well.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Very, very pretty! Be sure to give a first ride report!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

oh my, that's a pretty bike Have fun!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Thanks. I love it!!!!! I took that photo with my phone. I'll scout around my home for my camera this evening and see if I can take a few better pics.

I haven't been on a road bike since the 70s, and I was worried I'd be squirrelly with handling, but it was no problem. I was only able to get a short ride (6 miles) in before the thunder started this afternoon. It's still raining. Hopefully, it will clear up by morning.

The bike felt and rode great, and felt so much smoother than my FX. I do need a very minor tweak to the tilt of the saddle, and maybe those of you with more experience can give me advice with another concern, because I'm not sure if it's just me not being used to a road bike and if I need to work on how I'm holding myself on the bike, or even if I need a minor adjustment to the bike: it feels as if I'm putting a lot of weight on my hands, much more than with my flat bar bike. It was enough that I was thinking it could be a problem when I can do a real (longer) ride. The fitting was over an hour and I had zero problem hooked up to the trainer. My core muscles could use some strengthening, so I'm not sure how much that plays into things. The LBS guys told me to come back with any concerns, but any advice here would be great.

Maye, I really like the Speedplay Light Actions. It took me a few tries to figure out where my cleats were on my shoes and how to align them with the pedals, but I like them better than the SPDs I was using. I wasn't even nervous at the intersections. Very easy.

I also want to genuinely thank everyone here. I've been reading so many threads over the past month or so, and the information has been so helpful and friendly, I really feel as if I've avoided many expensive mistakes just learning from you all. I feel as if I owe so much of my happiness today to you, so thank you thank you thank you!

As the owner, and lover, of a full custom Gunnar, congratulations on your purchase!

Road bikes with drop bars do have a different riding position than flat bars, so you will likely need to focus on your body position and your core. I tried to move from flat bars to road bars, but didn't like it so all of my bikes have riser bars of some kind or another. Others here with more experience with road bars will better be able to advise, but congratulations!

A couple more iphone pics after my ride this morning:

On my back patio.

My "son" checking things out.

It was beautiful along the ocean. I solved the issue I was having yesterday with too much weight on my hands with a couple itsy bitsy saddle adjustments (amazing what 1/4 inch will do), and it's now perfect. On my FX, I was really struggling to get above 13 miles an hour, and I was barely making an effort to stay between 15 and 16 mph. I was with a friend on a very heavy commuter, so I'm not even sure how fast I could really sustain comfortably. This bike rides really smoothly. All I can say is that I'm thrilled.
    Last edited by murielalex; 04-01-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: more typos

I love the cat in the picture. "Mom, what is that?"
    Beautiful bike.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Just beautiful! Well done on the ride and on fixing the saddle.

I have a ginger girl who looks just like your boy
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Great bike! I also love the cat/bike pic.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Congrats on your new bike. Very pretty. I love the color.

Myself, I do not have a Gunnar. However, my cousin (also my friend,) has a gorgeous tangerine orange Gunnar. She loves that bike!! A very good, dependable bike. Congrats!!! I hope you love yours, too. It is so pretty!

SR

Congratulations! The cat is jealous

Congrats! and Racer's Edge is great. I am originally from Ft.Lauderdale(moved to Orlando last year). Also check out Stuart's Wild Ride- one of my good friends, and old co-workers, is the manager/head mechanic and they are awesome.

Hey murielalex! I'm almost at a decision on my Gunnar color I think (first world problems!) Is your bike color the English Blue Metallic with White? I'm leaning hard towards getting the solid English Blue Metallic with honey Brooks accessories at the moment...the color look a little bland on the website but it looks great in the pictures I've seen in the sun...

Thanks have you had her on any long rides yet? Hope you're enjoying!