Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wasn't even concerned about putting clipless on my bike until I read this thread!

Looks like I'm in for a real treat once I get them on. lol!

I have been riding clipless for only a month and I do not consider myself to be a super coordinated person. But I am telling you it really can get easy with determination. I do ride just about daily, so I have had more practice than folks who maybe only ride 2-3 times per week.

I now instinctually unclip my right foot every time I even think I may have to stop, and have grown accustomed to gently leaning my bike in the direction of that foot to avoid falling over on the clipped-in side. Also it has helped me to ride with more experienced riders who ride clipless and watch what they do - when they unclip, and how they coast to a stop with the unclipped foot gliding just a few inches above the ground.

I do have to say now I feel really confident riding clipless, and I thought it would be so, so much harder than it is. Not to say it is easy for everyone to get, but it was relatively easy for me. That was surprising

I fell the first day trying it but since then I have not fallen.
    Leah
    www.tinycircles.wordpress.com
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD C
    2009 Surly LHT
    "I thought of that while riding my bicycle."
    ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity

You are absolutely right, it gets better with determination and practice. I have not been riding much in the last 2 weeks due to starting a new job and it has been raining like crazy in Orlando, FL.
    I learned to unclip with the right foot first and I think it will be very difficult for me to change it. Still, learning and and still using my double sided platforms but planning to change them soon.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

I fell for the second time today. The first time was day one with clipless, and I hadn't even made it out of my neighborhood when I forgot I was clipped in. Today, I was on a bike path in a park, where you have to pull over to the grass and stop when a tram rolls by. I always clip out with my right foot, which I did, and it was fine. I fell when I was trying to get back on the road after the tram passed. The grass was on an incline, going down to the swamp to the right where my right foot was firmly planted. I overcompensated, not wanting to fall that way, and fell right over to the left when I tried to push off, while the folks on the back of the tram watched and laughed. Other than a small, painless scrape on my knee, I was unharmed, and at least I entertained a few folks.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

One is not required to use clipless pedals to be a "real" cyclist.

Just ride.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9189678-just-ride
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
    One is not required to use clipless pedals to be a "real" cyclist.[/url]
    Yes, this. There are advantages to clipping in, but there are also those who have biked for years over a gazillion miles on platform or BMX pedals. There is also no shame in waiting to make the move if one wishes. There was a time when I didn't think I would ever move to clipless pedals, but eventually did once I found pedals I liked.