Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think I know what you did, or at least I've had times where (especially when I'm tired and at the end of a ride, and early in my clipped in learning curve) I would be unclipped with one foot on the ground, off the saddle, but then move as if I think my other foot can just easily move to the ground and forget that I need to twist it. By the time I realize, my body weight is taking me over to the side that is still clipped in. Also, the first few weeks, what I kept doing was unclipping the right, off the saddle but still pretty upright over the top tube, then I'd look over my shoulder, which would throw off my body weight and down I'd go. It got quite comical actually. Now I've learned if I'm only unclipped on one side, I really move my body weight to that side, even so much as sort of leaning the bike towards that side.

Knock wood, I haven't fallen in a couple years.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I think I know what you did, or at least I've had times where (especially when I'm tired and at the end of a ride, and early in my clipped in learning curve) I would be unclipped with one foot on the ground, off the saddle, but then move as if I think my other foot can just easily move to the ground and forget that I need to twist it. By the time I realize, my body weight is taking me over to the side that is still clipped in. Also, the first few weeks, what I kept doing was unclipping the right, off the saddle but still pretty upright over the top tube, then I'd look over my shoulder, which would throw off my body weight and down I'd go. It got quite comical actually. Now I've learned if I'm only unclipped on one side, I really move my body weight to that side, even so much as sort of leaning the bike towards that side.

Knock wood, I haven't fallen in a couple years.
    Possegal, THANKS!! That's exactly what happened!! English is not my first language and sometimes I struggle explaining things specially since I'm a newbie in the road cycling world and all the lingo associated to it. Today I learned what a top tube is which I used to call the "long part" of the frame
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

You're welcome. It just sounded so familiar when I first read your post that I actually chuckled and thought it sounded just like my early days learning. Plus, you are right that it happens so quickly that you aren't really too sure how you wound up on the ground. No matter what your first language is!

Glad I could help. You may want to either unclip both sides when you are stopped, or do like I do now and really move your body weight to the side that you are unclipped on. And then it does eventually become second nature. It just takes a little time.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Keep practicing and make certain those pedals are adjusted as loose as possible. SPD's aren't my favorite, but a lot of people do like them. Since you've been riding platforms for so long it is just going to take time to re-train your muscle memory about how to stop. Just try to anticipate when you will need to stop and be intentional about your movements.

Penny4, with SPD pedals at least, you automatically unclip when you fall, it just happens. I fell LOTS when I was learning how to use SPDs the first time and both feet always just unclipped on their own. This may not be true for all pedals, I did have this (not) happen once with my Speedplay Frogs, but that may have been an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Keep practicing and make certain those pedals are adjusted as loose as possible. SPD's aren't my favorite, but a lot of people do like them. Since you've been riding platforms for so long it is just going to take time to re-train your muscle memory about how to stop. Just try to anticipate when you will need to stop and be intentional about your movements.

Penny4, with SPD pedals at least, you automatically unclip when you fall, it just happens. I fell LOTS when I was learning how to use SPDs the first time and both feet always just unclipped on their own. This may not be true for all pedals, I did have this (not) happen once with my Speedplay Frogs, but that may have been an anomaly.
    Hi Catrin,
    Thanks for the advice. I have read a couple of your threads when you where trying to find the perfect pedals for your road bike. How many you tried and for how long after you find the Speedplay Frogs? I have read so many things about the Speedplay Frog and Lights that I'm tempted to give them a try. Thanks in advance!
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Remember, Speedplay Frogs are mountain bike pedals, with recessed cleats.
    Speedplay Light Action are road pedals, with cleats that are not recessed. You need cleat covers for walking in the shoes, which some people don't like.
    I've been using Speedplay X pedals (road pedals) for around 7 years. I love them and frankly, I don't walk around that much when riding my bike with these pedals; walking into a lunch stop, or using a restroom. I have Frogs on my other bike, which is a road bike, but is used more for slower/touring rides/vacation/shopping and errands, going out to eat, etc. They actually were harder for me to get used to (not clipping in or out), in that I found myself unclipping "accidentally," which caused some issues. From what I've heard, the newer Frogs do have this tendency, if you aren't clipped in all of the way, and sometimes it's a bit hard to hear the "click" with these pedals. They are broken in now, and I've trained myself to really be aware of my foot position, so this doesn't happen. I previously used spds on my hybrid and mountain bikes, and they really caused me to have knee pain. This is why I got the Frogs, because they are free floating.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Maye View Post
    Hi Catrin,
    Thanks for the advice. I have read a couple of your threads when you where trying to find the perfect pedals for your road bike. How many you tried and for how long after you find the Speedplay Frogs? I have read so many things about the Speedplay Frog and Lights that I'm tempted to give them a try. Thanks in advance!
    I love my Speedplay Frogs, but as Crankin pointed out, they are indeed mountain bike pedals. The recessed cleats make it much easier to walk around, and eventually I will use them on my mountain bike...or not. The bottom line is there isn't anything wrong with using mountain bike pedals on the road and you will find differing opinions. My knees LOVE the free floating Frogs, which is why I have them.

I've only tried SPD pedals outside of the Frogs. There are a couple of others that I might like to try someday (Time in particular), but it is an investment to change pedals and I see no reason to fix what isn't broken Speedplay is going to release another version of a mountain bike pedal (with adjustable float) later this year, but they have no plans to stop production on Frogs. Whewww!

I've never had a problem unclipping by accident with my Frogs, and never a problem clipping in. I do "pull up" on my second foot once I am going to make certain it is clipped in all the way but haven't had a problem with it to date.

I don't know anything about road pedals so I can't advise on those

I think the hardest part for me was clipping in. The dang things would flip over and over as I'd try to get my shoes in making for dangerous weaves and panic would set in.

I've tried several kinds. One with platforms on side, mountain bike (have them on both sides) and road ones. The road ones were the worst to get in/out of.

I gave up and use the cheapie pedals as I was tired of crashing.

Part of me would like to give it another try, but I don't want to kill myself trying to get the cleats to fit into the pedals while it flips around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    I think the hardest part for me was clipping in. The dang things would flip over and over as I'd try to get my shoes in making for dangerous weaves and panic would set in.

I've tried several kinds. One with platforms on side, mountain bike (have them on both sides) and road ones. The road ones were the worst to get in/out of.

I gave up and use the cheapie pedals as I was tired of crashing.

Part of me would like to give it another try, but I don't want to kill myself trying to get the cleats to fit into the pedals while it flips around.
    Before you start moving, have one foot clipped in. For me it's the left foot, because I always clip out first and step on the ground with my right foot. Have the bike in an easy gear.

Have the clipped-in foot near the top of the pedal stroke, around 2:00. Starting high gives you more momentum from the first stroke.

As you push the pedal with the clipped-in foot, slide your butt onto the saddle. This is important -- you are much more stable while you are seated.

While continuing the pedal stroke with the clipped-in foot, clip in your other foot. If you miss the first try, that's okay, because you're seated and you got a decent amount of momentum from that first clipped-in stroke. If necessary, you can pedal around again with that clipped-in foot (which is easier to do since you're in an easy gear) so you can try again with the other foot.

Once you're riding, as you approach an intersection or anyplace where it looks like you'll have to clip out, shift to an easier gear so you'll be ready when you start up again.

As mentioned before, practicing on an indoor trainer and on a grassy field helps a lot. There's no traffic to worry about and falling on the grass is much better than falling on pavement.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I just switched from Speedplay Frogs to Light Action after 7 years. I got the Frogs for one reason, they were highly liked here on the forum especially to someone new to clippless. There is no spring so you just turn your foot and out you come. I never accidently clipped out. Clipping in was effortless. And yes I had mtn bike shoes as others have mentioned.

I just switched to the Speedplay Light Actions because I wanted a roadshoe for my new bike. As of now although ready to switch over, I have them on the bike I use on the trainer to get use to them only because I am not good with change. But they really are not difficult to clip out of. I just have to give a little umf when I turn where like as I mentioned with the frogs there was no resistance.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

BTW...my husband says to no matter whether you are a lefty or righty, always clip out on the right away from traffic in case of falling over for one reason or another. That is just his suggestion that he tells his customers.
    2012 Vita Elite
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY View Post
    BTW...my husband says to no matter whether you are a lefty or righty, always clip out on the right away from traffic in case of falling over for one reason or another. That is just his suggestion that he tells his customers.

Which doesn't necessarily work for someone like me. My original frequent falling was always falling over to the left, with my right leg unclipped. Luckily never in a heavily trafficked area or I'd have been falling right into traffic. Not an issue now, but it was comical how often I was doing that in the beginning. I'm really a hazard to myself.

It sounds like you need to be able to predict which direction the bike is going to lean when you stop. You can do this with countersteering. You already know it as part of riding. You just want to make it active not passive.
    The physics of a bike makes it so if you "steer" the bar to the RIGHT...the bike will always LEAN TO THE LEFT. (or vice versa)
    So if you want to unclip from the left pedal, in the last few inches of stopping and you have your left foot down....steer the front wheel to the right. This will assure you drop onto your left foot.

Ladies thanks a ton for all the great advices!! Yesterday I bought the Speedplay Light pedals and I'm practicing clipping in and out using the trainer. These pedals are definitively easier to clip out for sure!! Still learning the trick on how to clip in without "thinking" about it. But so far I like them very much.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

That is great Maye. Being comfortable and confident with your pedals will help. The trainer is a great way to practice. They say clip in and out about 20times to get the hang of it.
    2012 Vita Elite
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike