Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

can we say FEEBLE EXCUSE?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ran into a woman that I ride with from time to time (usually 2 or 3 times a year) and hadn't seen for a while. She had a black eye and some random band aids on her arm. I asked her what had happened. She said she had been lightly rear ended by a slow moving auto who had stopped behind her at a stop light. Now this woman routinely rides with a day glow reflective vest, a flashing red light on the back of her helmet, another on her under seat tool back and another on her left rear fork. She was legitimately in the middle of the lane. The drivers excuse was that he didn't see her.

Sheesh!

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I really wish people like that would just lose their licenses...for a long while. And have to go to traffic school.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    It's amazing what one doesn't see when one isnt't looking. I really wish the standard question to motorists who say "I didn't see the cyclist" after running the cyclist down was "Well, what were you looking at?" because they obviously weren't looking at the road in front of them as they are supposed to!

But this is also a prime example of how all the lights and reflective gear in the world won't make you "safe" on a bike. I absolutely bristle when I read descriptions of attire that says "reflective accents for safety!".

No! Skilled riding, adequate facilities, and (sober) attentive drivers can improve safety. Reflective gear can help make you "visible" but that is - as seen here - not the same as "safe."

Off my soap box. Glad your friend wasn't hurt too badly.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

The sad thing is that they get away with it. Hopefully this guy didn't. But these are the same people who "didn't see" the fire trucks, school buses and cop cars with lights flashing that they rear-end. It's only when the person they "didn't see" isn't in a motorized vehicle that the cops, prosecutors, judges and juries let them get away with it.

Off my soapbox. Hope your friend feels better soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The sad thing is that they get away with it. Hopefully this guy didn't. But these are the same people who "didn't see" the fire trucks, school buses and cop cars with lights flashing that they rear-end. It's only when the person they "didn't see" isn't in a motorized vehicle that the cops, prosecutors, judges and juries let them get away with it.
    We have had SEVERAL incidents of cars rear-ending school busses in our area. A teenage brother and sister were killed instantly when they flew into a bus at 50mph right before Christmas. Phone records show neither was on the phone/texting...how did they not see a big, yellow bus!?!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2