Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Aluminum Bike Similar to Fargo?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is there an aluminum bike out there similar to the Salsa Fargo? One with drop bars and the ability to put wider mountain bike tires on it? Everything I look at is street/racing/hybrid or mountain bikes. You can't put drop bars on a mountain bike which would be perfect and my hybrid doesn't hold up on trails.

The only reason I ask is that I was riding my son's Rockhopper to check over for some gearing problems and realized his bike was SO much lighter than my Fargo even though it's a size 21. I was hitting speeds of 18 mph with ease.

I adore my Fargo, but sometimes it would be nice to have something similar in an aluminum bike. I have a mountain bike (Mamba) which I also love, but riding for miles isn't easy on flat bars.

I've seen this sort of thing referred to as a monster-cross bike...like a cyclocross bike, but with wider clearance, to take 29er wheels/tires. I think they're often custom-made, though...or frankenbikes of sorts.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

You could also go with a custom steel bike - as higher grade steel is lighter. Then you could have everything you want

Just saying....

I have to wonder if this is just a matter of perception. Granted, I don't know the specifics of your son's Rockhopper, but in looking up both bikes, they're very similar in weight (roughly 27 pounds) depending on size and model. Your Fargo seems like a good compromise based on the things you're looking for in a bike. There's a good chance that an aluminum bike would ride rather harshly on the bad roads that you have to deal with. If you really want to lighten up the Fargo, look at getting some lighter wheels. The frame itself is probably not what's really slowing you down. It's your rotational weight.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I have to wonder if this is just a matter of perception. Granted, I don't know the specifics of your son's Rockhopper, but in looking up both bikes, they're very similar in weight (roughly 27 pounds) depending on size and model. Your Fargo seems like a good compromise based on the things you're looking for in a bike. There's a good chance that an aluminum bike would ride rather harshly on the bad roads that you have to deal with. If you really want to lighten up the Fargo, look at getting some lighter wheels. The frame itself is probably not what's really slowing you down. It's your rotational weight.
    Second this. Also, I can't seem to remember if you noted what tires you're using in another post, but perhaps getting slicks or something a little less knobby could help.

I usually commute on my Fargo, and while my average speeds on the way TO work are always pretty slow (the last 3.5 miles are up a series of hills) I can get some decent speeds on the flat sections when I'm feeling motivated!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens