Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Today I said good-bye....

To disable ads, please log-in.

to my dear friend of 18 years. Sadly, I made the tough decision to have my senior cat, Figaroe, put to sleep today.

I rescued Figaroe 18 years ago from a cat hoarding situation in my community. I came across an elderly couple that had over 40 cats/kittens at their house. It was a horrible situation. They agreed to allow me to adopt two kittens and while there I spied this adorable black and white kitten who was full of life romping in their front yard. I asked if I could adopt him and Mrs. G immediately said "NO!" A few days later I returned to pick up the two kittens I had selected when Mrs. G met me at the gate cradling a kitten in her hands. She thrust this kitten at me and said "here you can have this one" , it was the kitten I had asked about just days earlier. However, he was in terrible shape - eyes matted shut with green discharge, mucus streaming from his nostrils and yet he managed to purr when I took him. After much nursing he grew into a beautiful cat who made me laugh every chance he could. I told people he was a clown dressed in a cat suit. Figaroe fit right into my household guiding all the newbies I would adopt over the years.

His love of eating just about killed him several years ago when he knocked my dog's pill box to the floor and ate several 100mg chew able Rimadyl tablets. I immediately called my vet/best friend who told me "you're f**cked". The outlook was not good. We hooked him up to IV fluids and worked to flush his system. Figaroe responded well and a couple of days later he was back home entertaining me. The years rolled by and we all grew a little older. Figaroe was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and had an allergic reaction to the tapazole we were treating his thyroid disease with. He, however, responded well to the radioactive iodine treatment and again he returned home to assume his niche. He than became hypothyroid and we worked to find his dose of thyroid medicine. A few more years rolled by and he developed IBD - minor compared to his past issues.

A couple of years ago he was diagnosed with renal failure and we worked to find the right treatment to preserve his failing kidneys. Recently he began howling day and night we attributed to "kitty Alzheimer's" but now I think it was the sinister mass growing in his intestines. Last night was a bad night for my buddy so I curled up on the floor with him in office he finally settled down and fell asleep on my pillow. I had that sinking feeling. I dropped him off at the clinic on the way to work and my best friend/vet was not optimistic. She x-rayed him and called to tell me there was a large mass in his descending colon. So this afternoon DH and I said our good-byes, hugged him, kissed him and let him cross the Rainbow Bridge.

My heart breaks, my soul cries and yet I know how blessed I was to be able to have this tiny black and white kitten worm his way into my heart 18 years ago. I know how blessed I was to be able to share 18 wonderful years with Figaroe purring in my lap. He will be missed. Thank you Fig for all the joy you brought me, go in peace my friend your buddies were there to greet you at the bridge this afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cats 008.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	14281  
    Marcie

(((((Marcie)))))) Your beautiful tribute brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful baby, and what a grand life you gave him! May your memories soon bring you comfort and joy.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

He was lucky to have picked you out! I'm so glad for those wonderful 18years you gave each other. I am very sorry for your loss.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Marcie- what a beautiful story! Figaroe was meant for you. I'm so sorry you have lost such sweetness. Hugs.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Sorry you lost such a good furry friend, with so many years together. It is so hard to say goodbye but he is at peace and out of pain now.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

What a lovely tribute to your kitty friend. You were both truly blessed- not only to find each other-but to have 18 wonderful years of memories.

So sorry for your loss.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

(((((((Marcie))))))) So sorry for your loss. What a tough little kitty.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

(((hugs)))

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Marcie- what a beautiful story of how Figaroe came to be a part of your family. You gave him the the life he deserved, and loved him as much as he could have wanted up until the moment he took his last breath. My deepest condolences to you. {{{hugs}}}
    Hoping you find comfort and peace in the days to come.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I'm so sorry for your loss. The story of his life is wonderful. I hope your heart heals soon.

What a beautiful love story. (((((Hugs)))))
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Oh, what a beautiful story. Our Lola is also 18 and hyperthyroid. We know our days with her are numbered. Figaroe sounded like such an amazing fur-friend. You gave him such a good life. RIP, sweet guy.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thank you for sharing with us. Hugs to you. Been there, feel your pain.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Figaro is playing with milk jug rings with all of our other kitty babies who have moved on. He sounded like a great friend, glad you had that time together. I'm sure he will be missed, sorry for your loss.

(((Marcie))). I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Figaro I wonderful life. I hope your happy memories of him give you much comfort.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher