Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What would you do? (regarding pets and moving)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Evening all - I have a question that I am struggling with and I have always found the varied opinions of the TE ladies to be helpful in situations like these.

First off, I will be moving in about 2 months back home to start a new job and be closer to my family. This entails leaving a small town in the west and moving back to the Big City in the east. Right now, I have 2 cats and 1 dog, who is over 40 pounds.

The trouble is - I am having an extremely difficult time securing housing (any) in the Big City, especially any that will 1) allow pets or 2) allow more than 2 pets or 3) allow dogs over 40 pounds or 4) has a place to let my puppy relieve himself before he makes a mess in the high-rise elevator or other somesuch.

As many of you know, I am a veterinarian and I am finding this issue extremely difficult being at the top of the Responsible Pet Owner food chain. My two cats will definitely come with me, but the puppy - he's the one making this difficult. For one - he is not doing well in my current apartment - every 20 minutes he feels the need to go outside and will not be ignored at 3 a.m. until you walk him down the three flights of stairs and out to the grassy area. For another, my new job will be 10 hours a day with no lunch break, unlike my current job where I get 2 hours in the afternoon to walk and spend time with him (and let him out to pee!). Lastly, I cannot trust him with my cats at all - due to his breed and temperament, he has a hard time leaving them alone. These are all things I did not know until he was home with me for almost 3 months. As a malnourished stray, we battled distemper, ringworm, kennel cough, malnutrition (cobalamin deficiency leading to chronic diarrhea) and repeated conjunctivitis for a long time before he finally became as healthy as he is today. Now he is truly a puppy. I also did not know in November that my entire life situation would change like this (moving home for my mother who has become ill, not because I don't like my job).

My question is - what would you do? Rehome him with the breed rescue he came from (they brought him to me to treat and I ended up taking him in)? Or try and "make it work" in the new location despite what seems like overwhelming odds against it being a satisfactory life for a young dog? My parents have flat out refused to take him in, even temporarily (the cats however, can go to them if need be).

I know us vets are supposed to be the masters of these situations and have all the pet-related answers, but I am truly struggling with finding the best solution for him. I love my (not so) little puppy and I would love to have him around, but I am unsure that my new living situation will be amenable to his needs.

What say you, oh wise ladies?

Thanks in advance.

It is always hard to let go, but I think this:

Quote Originally Posted by westtexas View Post

Rehome him with the breed rescue he came from (they brought him to me to treat and I ended up taking him in)?

Also provide the organization with all that you have learned about him and what he will need in a new placement.

Trying to 'make it work' sounds like it will make for human, canine, and feline misery, unless you can miraculously locate a farm in the middle of the big city or something like that.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Not sure I can give much advice, really.
    First of all, I am sorry about your mom being ill, I hope things get better soon.
    As per puppy, is he/she of the temperament that could be easily trained into becoming an outside dog? If so, your life could be a bit easier in a house as opposed to an apartment, as you could create a nice environment outside for puppy (doghouse, play areas, etc) and let him/her stay in the yard during your work day.
    Other than that, I do not know what to say to help. The alternative options that come to mind are not too appealing, you know, things such as day boarding, etc.
    Or, do you have friends in the new town that could host puppy in their backyard during the work day?
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

+1 on what malkin says. It would be cruel to leave the puppy alone for 10+ hours a day. You could possibly find a doggie day care for him, but barring that, I bet there is a better situation for him and someone who can spend more time with him. I don't think it's a good idea for any puppy to be left alone that long day after day, for a myriad of reasons, and I am sure that you don't either.

Your life situation has changed, and you're not being selfish if you don't take him with you. Just the opposite, really.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I understand to a point where you're coming from. For us it was finding a place that would allow 3 cats. Most have a strict 2 pet policy. We were fortunate to find a rental company that has a two pet policy, but allows owners to make exceptions to that if they choose to. The owner of the townhouse we rented allowed us to have all 3 of our cats there. Basically what she said was that 3 cats really aren't that different from 2 and they are all adults so she didn't mind at all. The 4th cat we had is now happily living with my parents. (He was a stray that showed up and wouldn't leave so he became ours. However our 3 female cats hated him, so having him move with us was going to be difficult at best. We were lucky that my parents like him and my mom's cat doesn't mind him being there). Who knew having more than 2 pets was going to be a problem when moving. Guess I really don't have any advise. Sorry.

I live in NYC and all the dogs I know travel in elevators without relieving themselves. Most (adult) dogs in my building go out three times a day and do just fine. "Sit" in the elevator works great until you have the elevator rules established (and it's good to fall back on when you have an ancient dog on Lasix).

Ten hours alone is too much for many dogs, though day care or a dog walker could help. The cat issue sounds harder unless you find a huge apartment.

I think returning the dog to the rescue is acceptable, responsible and probably best for everyone. However, you definitely should tell the rescue the dog demands to go out every 20 minutes and in the middle of the night. Perhaps now that his health issues are resolved he could get some additional training.

Maybe if you describe the situation to the vet clinic you will be working for; he can become the special vet pet! Then, he could be at the clinic all day and have lots of attention?

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    IThe cat issue sounds harder unless you find a huge apartment.
    If you don't think the dog can be trained to live harmoniously with your cats, than I think it would be best to return him to the breed rescue group, especially in light of your other issues. All things considered, it just seems like the puppy needs more attention than you can give right now. Better to admit that than to force everyone--you, the dog and your cats--to make do. The anxiety and stress the situation will engender will not be good for any of you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Sounds like you've been a good foster-owner for the dog, getting him back to health and figuring out his quirks so someone else with a more appropriate setup can take him forward.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Sounds like you've been a good foster-owner for the dog, getting him back to health and figuring out his quirks so someone else with a more appropriate setup can take him forward.
    This is what I was thinking.

I'm a huge dog lover and animal friend, but I agree that in your particular situation, the best bet would probably be to let the rescue find him a new home. Where you are now, you know the rescue and the work they do. Plus the dog is young and probably very rehome-able in your current smaller town. This may not be true if you took the dog to the city and then ended up having to make the same decision a little later down the road because you all couldn't make it work out.

We had similar problems when we moved here and had to rent for awhile with a cat and two 75 lb dogs. We paid a premium for housing that would allow the dogs (and we kept the cat hidden) until we could buy a home. But our situation was temporary and we knew it. If it had to be a long term situation, I don't know what we would have done.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

With him being a puppy I am sure the rescue group would be able to easily place him. Even with his health issues the documented care by a vet foster/owner would probably make most realize his potential to be a loving pet. I wouldn't leave him home 10 hours. I have made the mistake of getting a puppy in the last year and not being able to be home with him enough. In addition to him needing some good TLC, I feel like the worst person ever when I come home and he looks like he is going to pop from being crated too long (both with energy and being ready to potty). He deserves better but I am hoping some things will be able to change for our situation and help my little man.

You sound like you're realistic in the hurdles for the puppy and as hard as it is I think getting him back in rescue would be the ultimate best life for him and your kitties.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I agree with Tulip (and others) who have suggested re-homing the puppy. You saved his life and brought him back to health, but could not have known at the time that your life was going to change drastically. Please don't feel guilty about that.

It's a difficult decision, but your long workdays and his behavior with your cats makes this a stressful situation for all. You will need your time and energy to focus on caring for your mom. With the excellent care he's received so far from you he will blossom in another home, and the rescue will do their best to match him with the right folks.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
    I agree with Tulip (and others) who have suggested re-homing the puppy. You saved his life and brought him back to health, but could not have known at the time that your life was going to change drastically. Please don't feel guilty about that.

It's a difficult decision, but your long workdays and his behavior with your cats makes this a stressful situation for all. You will need your time and energy to focus on caring for your mom. With the excellent care he's received so far from you he will blossom in another home, and the rescue will do their best to match him with the right folks.
    Beautifully stated. I completely agree.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thank you everyone for your kind responses, both on this thread and in private. I really appreciate your sound and logical words, it helped me to see the situation in a non-emotional manner and that really helps. After extensive thought and reading your responses, I have decided that re-homing through the breed rescue will be best for him, no matter how much I love him and want to keep him.

Thanks again, it is much appreciated.