Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: At&t 3g

At&t 3g

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I'm wondering if it's just my phone but have any of you noticed a drop in speed and quality of the Internet recently while using this service?

Do you have an unlimited data plan?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Do you have an unlimited data plan?
    Right. Are you at the beginning of the bill cycle or later and getting close to the limit? Only when away or remote from a cell tower or everywhere? In other word is it the network and only slow at those locations or your use vs the plan?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

WR, I don't know if this applies to you, but you might find this interesting reading/listening nevertheless:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/28/147553...est-data-users
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Oh, this reminds me of a dial-up provider I had about 10 years ago. I had an "unlimited" plan. One month I couldn't get connected. I called to find out why and was told that I'd gone over my minutes, or whatever...wait, what?! I had set my modem to not disconnect, since reconnecting was a pain. They wanted customers to reconnect every 30 minutes...screw that.

So like 3 weeks into a 4 week cycle I was cut off. Of course I switched companies. If a company is going to claim unlimited, then that is what they need to provide.

Our bank pulls BS like this with our "available" balance. More than once my checking account has shown a particular dollar amount is available. So I'll pay bills, then end up overdrawn, even though I had more than enough showing as "available." Their idiotic system will show pending transactions as available...but it only works at the detriment of the customer. If I use my debit card that money is instantly gone...but if I deposit a check it's not my money until it clears--even if it says available. Utterly ridiculous and more than a little fraudulent, IMO.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I guess I'm noticing this more with APPS like Facebook? I updated the old APP now it seems to run much slower?

I don't have AT&T. But I have had enough problems with app updates that I now read the recent comments first, and based on them I sometimes decide not to download the upgrade. I would rather wait a few weeks for the bug fixes to be available.

For things like facebook and twitter, I will look for alternative apps to access them when the apps I've been using stop behaving nicely.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

+1. If you're using an Android device, also check the permissions before you download an updated app - sometimes they change, and never in favor of giving you more privacy.

I'm on Verizon, but DH has AT&T and hasn't had any trouble. Still, if you're in a major urban area, they did just release the new iPads...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-22-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    DH has AT&T and hasn't had any trouble. Still, if you're in a major urban area, they did just release the new iPads...
    Oh right! Lots of folks with that cool new toy.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Side topic: I heard that ATT is ending it's unlimited data plans, even for existing customers. I dropped ATT a couple of years ago because of constant dropped calls, but this info might be useful for ATT users.

Not sure what phone you have, but my iphone 3GS gets slower and slower with each operating system upgrade. I know I need a new phone soon but I'm putting it off for the moment.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Side topic: I heard that ATT is ending it's unlimited data plans, even for existing customers.
    Not sure. I was on the land line side of things for umpteen years.

I think the unlimited plans are what's called "Grandfathered" for existing customers which means: if you have it you can keep it. Anything changes such as cancel, change your hair color ... you lose the plan and get to pick one of the "tiered" data plans.

Quite honestly many customers might (and none of this is policy or anything, just something I sensed, found, feel as a former employee) do as well or better with one of the "tiered" plans with no slow down, just keep an eye on the use than to stay with unlimited.

If you do things like download data from work, home, wifi hot spots when possible most don't even get near the limit.

But then I'm a Luddite with a "dumb phone" and iPod touch
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

DH has one of the unlimited plans that's grandfathered. Funny, now I am using more time than he is. And because of the family plan we have, I am not grandfathered (I didn't have data until this fall). I haven't noticed anything different with my phone.
    OK, last week I noticed my I Phone 4S now has 4G instead of 3G. Weird? We didn't change anything.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport