Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Commuting check list

To disable ads, please log-in.

Seat-post rack for Gunner? Check
    trunk bag? Check
    Powerful helmet light so "I" can see? Check
    Handlbar light so others can see me? Check
    Two rear lights? Check

Have I forgotten anything? Obviously I also have my tire-changing gear in my Camelbak where it always is

Now all I have to do is to get some consistent riding in and try my route out EARLY on a Saturday morning. Ride downtown for breakfast and then home again. I think my neck is about ready - I just want to get in a couple more 90 minute rides and give it a chance to get stronger before I try this....

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Seat-post rack for Gunner? Check
    trunk bag? Check
    Powerful helmet light so "I" can see? Check
    Handlbar light so others can see me? Check
    Two rear lights? Check

Have I forgotten anything? Obviously I also have my tire-changing gear in my Camelbak where it always is

Now all I have to do is to get some consistent riding in and try my route out EARLY on a Saturday morning. Ride downtown for breakfast and then home again. I think my neck is about ready - I just want to get in a couple more 90 minute rides and give it a chance to get stronger before I try this....
    Somewhere to put the bike?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Baby wipes.

Lock for when you get there. and, of course, I'm guessing you have a list of things for clothing once you do get to your commute location.

Catrin, I just did the same check list, and I'm all set minus the Gunnar. Since I'm still in anticipation mode for mine, just curious how you're liking yours.

I always take a mini first aid kit (well maybe not so mini) that I make up myself around one of those mini J&J kits I get from the .99c store. I throw in some asprin/iubprophen, a few large band-aids, a tiny container of hibaclens and a roll of gauze and put it all in a small zip-lock (because the gauze roll doesn't fit in the little plastic box). I made up several of these and keep one in my Camelback for the MTB, and the other in my commuting seatpack.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

how far is it one way?

My commute would be close to 20 miles one-way, so it is a significant commute. I would only do this 1-2 days a week.

I will either park my bike in my office, or in the YMCA Bike Hub across the street. I intend on bringing clothes/etc the day before and leaving them in either the office or in my locker at the Bike Hub - I am just nervous about leaving my custom bike at the Bike Hub...they do provide indoor bike parking and, of course, I would need to lock my bike on the rack.

I just don't see anything in place to keep someone from cutting the lock and taking my bike. I am probably just being overly paranoid. I am not going to purchase another bike this year, 2 last year should keep me for this year If I do like commuting and stick with it then I will consider my options next winter.

Good idea Tzvia, I do keep some minor first aid supplies in my Camelbak, along with tire changing tools. Thankfully I've not needed the former off the mountain bike trails but it is good to have.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-20-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Catrin, I just did the same check list, and I'm all set minus the Gunnar. Since I'm still in anticipation mode for mine, just curious how you're liking yours.
    I love my Gunnar, but it isn't a Sport. Mine is a full custom so it really isn't any of their usual designs. I had significant fit requirements, and a desire for 26 inch wheels - so the frame looks remarkably like an aggressive rigid mountain bike frame - or so I've been told. It wasn't planned that way, but that is how it turned out

I LOVE my Gunnar - rides like a dream and it only weighs 22 pounds. I do not regret going this route at all! Indeed, I think that bike is the only reason I am currently able to ride through my neck injury recovery because it does fit me so well.

A couple of thoughts....try to park the bike in your office just for piece of mind during the work day. If you can't, consider something like PitLocks (
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp ) for the wheels, seat and stem (keeps the front wheel from being removed). Then a mini u-lock from the frame to the rack is probably all you need. The mini locks are harder to pry open, although they can still be cut.

Note: I have a custom Waterford commuter (my commute is about 25-30 miles round trip and I am a year-round commuter). I have the luxury of secure bicycle parking, but I run with the pitlocks and use a mini-u when I stop for groceries.

I don't carry any more than you, but I do carry 2 tubes plus a patch kit. While my RiBiMo tires have been solid, I believe some of the cities I traverse through believe that crushed glass is an appropriate paving material. With 2 tubes I feel more secure.

Good luck on the commute. May you reach the point where driving a car to work just "feels wrong".
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

Don't forget the bicycle.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Don't forget the bicycle.
    Indeed

I am going to tour the Bike Hub across the street and decide what to do about storage. But if I do that I will have to place my fitness club membership on hold for the summer, I can't have two memberships...so we will see. Depending on how hot it is this summer I may REALLY need that shower before work.

I second thorn's recommendation of bringing the bike into your office.

What about lunch? Do you need to bring that?
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I second thorn's recommendation of bringing the bike into your office.

What about lunch? Do you need to bring that?
    Yes, that is the main reason for replacing my Arkel Tailrider. It fits the new rack perfectly and is large enough for lunch and other odds and ends that might be necessary. No computer, no papers, and I will bring my clothes in the day before.

I need to get to riding more consistently and start chipping away at that route downtown on a few very early Sat morning rides so I can get more comfortable with both route and traffic. I will leave for work at something like 6am - as soon as it is light, so there shouldn't be much traffic heading in...