Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Bike tire keeps popping on NEW rims? What's happening?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have inexpensive Weinmann DP18s on my Single Speed.

It formerly had ChengShen 700x28c tires.

I replaced those with Kevlar lined Fxyation tires of the same size with a slightly wider bead.

The tubes have popped four times and each time it's on the rim side near the valve stem. This didn't happen with the other tires.

I'm taking it by the shop for the gadjillionth time. I'm getting really mad. Seriously raging. What is happening?? That's a lot of tubes. A lot of money for tires that I can't return.

Can anyone help??? Please.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Hi,

Is the tube seated properly inside the tire? Seeing its happening near the stem, the tube may not be fully inside the tire when you inflate it.

Deflate the tube then push on the stem as though you are pushing the stem out of the wheel and at the same time make sure that the tire stays seated on the wheel. If the stem pushes all the way to the tire then the tube is "seated" inside the tire. If it isn't that may be your problem.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know what is causing the "blow outs"

Is it possible that there's a burr on the rim where the punctures are happening? If so, a few strokes with a fine file will take care of that.

The other possibility is that you've just encountered a bad batch of tubes. I've seen a fair number fail where the valve stem is vulcanized onto the rest of the tube, like they "overcooked" it or something.

Good luck!

The Bike Hermit said those are fairly deep rims and he too suspects that the problem is a rough spot on the rim. Good Luck, nothing worse than a flat tire.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Thanks ladies.

I did not install any of these tires. It was my LBS. I know he said it kept puncturing in the same spot again and again. On either side of the valve. Strange thing is, it's been BOTH of the rims. But only AFTER we replaced the tires with Kevlar ones. (Again, oh the irony. Alanis Morrissette style irony, but still.) "Your bike tire pops, when you've already paid."

Took it in to the LBS. The rims I picked are basic with sealed bearing hubs and nice spokes. But I guess Weinmann DP18s aren't exactly well-made. I was told to leave the sticker on the rims by some friends because it hides the ugly welds underneath.

You get what you pay for. *sadLOL*

We'll see if the LBS can get things straight before the St.Pat's Day Parade here! Our cycle-project group were planning on riding in a big group in the parade. I put some more green accents on the bike in anticipation. Hopefully, it will be ready to go by then.

If not, I can ride another.

Thank you for the advice. So, so much.

Anyone else have some thoughts?
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Um, new rims perhaps?

Just did a Google, and found this on these rims.

Mentions the necessity of tightening the spokes and a couple of other set-up issues.
    Well, if there is a problem with the rims. I know my LBS will make it right. They may not make my St. Pat's deadline, but they haven't let me down yet. And I had to deal with Trek warranty issues before. If you buy enough bike stuff, you're bound to get a defect from time to time. OR buy cheap, when you shouldn't have.

Oh, well. It will all work out, I'm sure. Maybe the spokes are too tight and poking through the rim too far????? I hope they figure it out.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I assume they used rim tape...but you might want to check.

Just a thought...I popped about 4 tubes after having new Armadillos installed. Turned out to be a defective tire with a super-rough area that was puncturing the tubes.

Update: After trying yet again on both the front and back (6 tubes total)...my bike shop determined that the tires (lined with kevlar) had too wide a bead and were too thick for that specific rim.

It's not something I would've been able to tell. Not something they even could tell right away. The tube was sneaking into spaces it shouldn't and was getting pinched or pulled.

Hopefully, my misfortune (I'm out a lot of money) helps someone else. I might sell them on eBay or TE. They're hella cool tires. Green sidewalls with a black racing stripe. 700 x 28C.

Welp. I'm glad the old girl is on her feet again at least.

Did the shop sell you the tires knowing what rims you were putting them on?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler