Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Recommendations for small folding tire

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just had a flat that sliced my tire. Since I often ride alone, I'd like to carry a small, lightweight folding tire. Any recommendations?

The good news is, I put on my beloved Conti's & ditched the Bontragers. My bra has more padding than that tire had thickness.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I ride on county roads with chip-seal surfacing. I've had good luck with Conti GP 4000 S tires. Even when the road surface had recently applied chips (which is kind of pointy), the tires did not slice or flat.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Just had a flat that sliced my tire. Since I often ride alone, I'd like to carry a small, lightweight folding tire. Any recommendations?
    Do you use tubulars or clinchers?
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

What about carrying a tire boot instead, if you're using clinchers? I've used everything from a dollar bill to duct tape to Tyvek from a FedEx mailer with great success. They're not pretty or permanent, but each one has gotten me home safely. Park Tool also makes their own version.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Carrying a boot is a great idea. I do that myself- usually an old gu packet and some dollar bills. They work fantastic in a pinch and will be much smaller/lighter than carrying a spare tire.

Of course, that won't help for every instance. Last year I had a blowout that blew a hole in the tire at the bead and bent the rim- so there was no fixing that. I *might* have been able to fix the rim if I'd had a screwdriver, but the tire was beyond repair since it blew out at the bead. Had to wait 3 hours on the side of a country road for my DH to get off work and come get me 40 miles from home. Whoopsie.
    Lesson: find someone else to call in an emergency...ergo: I need to make more friends.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Another boot idea is to cut up an old water bottle, The Bike Hermit carries a piece in his tool bag. Of course we ride on touring tires so this solution may be too wide if you ride a narrower tire. We stock Schwalbe Marathon folding tires - dureme and supreme but again in touring tire widths.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

The newest Michelin Pro 4 road tires fold up pretty darn small. But, I agree with the Park Tire Boot suggestion. Works great