Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Veronica's scones go vegan!

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I decided I'd like to have some scones around in the AM but am pretty dairy sensitive, so I thought I'd see how V's recipe could be altered to be dairy-free. I ended up just making them vegan simply by not using the egg wash.

I must say that they are pretty good, though I'm sure not as good as V's.

Here's what I did (my changes in bold:

--------------------------------------
    Veronica’s Scone Recipe Goes Vegan

Combine
    2 3/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. table salt

Blend in
    12 T soy margarine (instead of butter) cut into small chunks - use your fingers. Make sure the margarine does not become too soft and oily

Add
    1 cup currants (I use berries - fresh or frozen or chocolate chips instead) Yellow used currants
    1 T. orange or lemon zest - I often forget to add this, I left it out when I used chocolate chips on purpose Yellow used zest from one orange and…
    Juice from the orange plus soy milk to equal 1 cup (instead of the cream)

Knead and pat the dough into a circle about 8" across and 1" thick. Cut the dough into wedges and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (last time I had run out, it worked fine, but clean up was a little more difficult.)

Brush scones with an egg and water mixture (1 egg, 1 T. water.) Sprinkle with coarse or granulated sugar (I don't bother with the sugar but the egg and water makes them brown better.) Yellow didn’t do any of this: no brush, no sugar, though I'm sure it would be a nice addition

Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes.
    --------------------------------------

They are very orange-y, which I like. A chocolate variation could be to use chocolate soy milk and carob chips or something. And instead of just using plain soy milk I guess you could use the soy "creamer".

Hmm, very creative. Wonder if I'll get anyone's scone?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Sounds good! I've never heard of soy butter, but I think I'll try this variation next time. I made some substitutions when I tried the recipe last week - Greek-style yogurt for the cream, whole wheat flour for half the flour portion, and cranberries. They're yummy, but probably not as good as the original. Unlike V, I try to do low-fat, esp. since I'm not riding enough to burn the calories off, so I'll have to try this vegan version. (Uh, who would have thought that V could go vegan, albeit indirectly? )

SK, I won't subject you to any of my cooking.

Kim--I think I might also cut back on the soy margarine a bit (maybe 8 T instead of 12?). I'm sure that's what makes them so moist, but it also makes them a little oilier (is that a word?) than I feel like I should be ingesting. I'll try the WW flour too. I didn't even think of that (but then, I wasn't shooting for "healthy"). I really, really like the orange-y-ness of them.

Going Veggie

Hey, I've been eating a lot of Amy's frozen stuff. It's pretty good frozen food. Although I do find portions a little small. I'm riding indoors every day- Spinervals Queen - and burning lots of calories. I've already lost a pound. That's not part of my plan, but hey, it's less to carry over 200 miles.

I'm glad you guys were able to figure out a way to make yummy scones that aren't so fat laden.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

People who ride 200 miles, or are training to, are allowed to eat anything they want. Scones could be a good on-the-bike snack too, since they pack a lot of calories but are easy to carry.

BTW, I think AV might need to find a way to support your DMD ride - maybe riding sections with you if you'll be alone, or assisting Thom and the Pilot in their SAG duties....

Quote Originally Posted by aka_kim
    People who ride 200 miles, or are training to, are allowed to eat anything they want. Scones could be a good on-the-bike snack too, since they pack a lot of calories but are easy to carry.

BTW, I think AV might need to find a way to support your DMD ride - maybe riding sections with you if you'll be alone, or assisting Thom and the Pilot in their SAG duties....

Oooo... I like both those ideas.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Hey, I've been eating a lot of Amy's frozen stuff.
    I like the Amy's stuff a lot too. They manage to make even vegan stuff really flavorful (which can be done but is difficult, at best). I really like the vegan black bean enchiladas and the tamale pie. Yum!

I woke up feeling icky so I made myself these vegan scones for breakfast. Used 8 T of soy margarine instead of 12.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I still feel icky, though.

Attack of the evil caramels again? What? You tell them that big sis and hubby will be out in a few weeks and will take action if they persist.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Attack of the evil caramels again?
    Actually, no. I haven't had any since the force feeding. I think it was the strawberries. I ate way too many of them. I felt sufficiently bad to forego my ride this morning.

Gonna go out now and do my latest keep-up-with-the-big-dogs training ride, making it all the way up City Creek Canyon on the middle chainring without letting my cadence drop below 85. Trying to wean myself off the little chainring just a wee tad so's I can keep up with the joneses.

BTW, I did take a scone in to work for the pastry chef to try and she loved it. She couldn't tell it was vegan.