Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cutting out the Shelf Bra

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want to wear sporty tank tops while biking and running. I don't want the extra shelf bra - they never fit right and I just end up having to wear a sports bra underneath anyways. Not comfortable. But it's getting hot. And everything I'm seeing these days has that stupid built-in poser bra.

Anyone ever cut those things out of your tank tops? Does it work or does the top just end up having itchy extra fabric? Or does it look strange? Any tips?

Me <----not a seamstress. But I'll try, dangit.
    Last edited by tangentgirl; 03-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I've cut them out of a couple of my tops by carefully trimming close to the stitching along the neck and armholes. It seems to work well, doesn't roll up or show. This is strictly a no-sew alteration on my part.

I have one top that that I haven't attempted because I think I'd need to sew some of the raw edges. I can't sew technical fabrics to save my life. Well, I can, but it looks like rubbish when I'm done. Of course that is my favorite top, and also has the worst of the shelf bras

I've never done it with athletic tops, but I cut the shelf bra out of camisoles all the time, and no one is the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    It's not a bad idea to just remove that bottom elastic, and leave the 'bra' as an extra layer of fabric, can help smooth things out.
    I like that idea - it seems very low-commitment. Will have to give it a try, thanks!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I was looking for something especially sexy as a gift and didn't really expect this to fit well or be particularly comfortable as my partner wears a size 34DD. We were quite surprised as it was both comfortable, well fitting and supportive. It definitely provides the desired effect. We liked it so well we purchased a second one in white.

I'm a 34D in a sports bra and those stupid shelf bras are worthless lol...I hack em out all the time!

It helps if you have a pair of decent sewing scissors that are sharp, with a slightly longer blade, and nice points for tips (to get in the tight space of cutting out the shelf bra). These can be purchased reasonably at somewhere like Walmart in the craft/sewing section.

I personally have tried leaving the fabric and cutting the band only, as discussed, and for me I did not like it. Especially if you are moving to work out, it will ride up and around in places you do not want it to be without the bottom secured. So just cut it all out...except maybe in the shoulder strap areas...just leave a straight across line where this section begins.

The biggest tip I can give you is to not be in a rush. Just when you have a few quiet mindless minutes to kill use a nice clean flat surface, like a table or kitchen counter, and carefully trim it out...checking each few snips that you have not snipped the actual top, versus the bra part.

Good Luck!

Applique shears would work best.
    They are specially designed for very close trimming and look like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-01-005.../dp/B000UUCA6C
    Queen of the sea beasts

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Maybe next time, I'll look at these tank tops with shelf bras, to even understand what you are all talking about. I've never really paid much attention to the construction of these shelf bra like tank tops.

I know, I know, clueless me. But I don't wear tank tops when I bike in the summer. No matter how hot it gets. I just want to preserve the skin on the upper part of me, back, and front.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.