Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help.. I can't clip in!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've used clipless pedals before and I use them 5x per week on my spin bike. I just installed new pedals on my old mountain bike. It's almost impossible to clip in, so I can't even imagine how hard it will be to clip out!

I've adjusted the float in the pedal to the loosest setting and even switched my cleats to the oldest pair I have (hoping some wear and tear would make them looser).

It's almost like I can't generate enough force to clip in and down - I'm only 100lbs - but that shouldn't matter. What on earth am I doing wrong? I even tried taking the pedal off and trying to get my shoe into the pedal, and I can't do it! Am I just a total weakling??

Any advice or similar experiences?? Thanks!!!

Hi Pixie,

I'm new to clipless myself, so I probably can't answer your question. But just wondering what type of pedals and shoes you are using. Maybe that will help others answer you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie91 View Post
    I've used clipless pedals before and I use them 5x per week on my spin bike. I just installed new pedals on my old mountain bike. It's almost impossible to clip in, so I can't even imagine how hard it will be to clip out!

I've adjusted the float in the pedal to the loosest setting and even switched my cleats to the oldest pair I have (hoping some wear and tear would make them looser).

It's almost like I can't generate enough force to clip in and down - I'm only 100lbs - but that shouldn't matter. What on earth am I doing wrong? I even tried taking the pedal off and trying to get my shoe into the pedal, and I can't do it! Am I just a total weakling??

Pixie: What kind of pedals are you using?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Check 3 times more that you've adjusted them to the loosest setting.

Then snap a photo of the setting and the cleats and post here.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

As counter-intuitive as it is- new pedals and new cleats clip/unclip most easily- make sure they are screwed onto the shoe tightly, when they get worn/muddy/chipped it interferes with the clipping/unclipping to a degree.............(it could even be that the interface of new to old is exacerbating the issue................)

I'm using a regular shimano mtb pedal (not sure which model) and spd clip. I adjusted the float again.. actually took the screw out and put it back in to make sure I was on the last click.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-02-20 10.14.45.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	14208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-02-20 10.15.28.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	14209  
    Last edited by Pixie91; 02-20-2012 at 06:23 AM.

I have Shimano's M540 (I think) pedals on my bike. And it took me a while to be able to clip in consistently. Clipping out wasn't a problem. It's just a matter of finding that spot and the correct motion to do it. It's hard to describe without having the bike here, but it's a sort of "stepping" motion.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Pixie - do you know for a fact that the pedals are the same that you use in spin class? Have you checked for sole interference? Are you positive the recommended cleats are the same for both pedals?

It depends on the cleat whether old/new makes it easier to clip in/out.

Get your shoes into the pedal somehow, remove your foot and then turn the pedal over and look for interference from the sole. If this is the case, there are spacers avaialable or you can get out the old Dremel tool and do a little remodeling of the lugs.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Well... I got out there and just hammered until I made it work! I think it was just all in my head. Confidence is what I was really lacking, so thanks to you all for taking the time to comment... it was my inspiration!!!
    :-)

Well... I got out there and just hammered until I made it work! I think it was just all in my head. Confidence is what I was really lacking, so thanks to you all for taking the time to comment... it was my inspiration!!!
    :-)
    That sure doesn't look like a Shimano pedal from the picture. Are your cleats shimano? SH51 on the bottom? or Welgo's WP98?
    Shim pedals often will be at the tightest setting out of the box.
    Also like SadieKate says...we occasionally will run into the sole of the shoe bottoming out against the pedal before the cleat fully engages.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Seajay; 03-13-2012 at 05:51 PM.