Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help! Quick question about groupsets.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there,
    I'm recovering from microfracture on my knee and looking to throw myself into cycling when i'm allowed. To give myself a wee incentive I'm looking at getting a new bike but confused with all the different groupsets and whether to go for a triple or compact. It may be worth noting I've previously had mosiacplasty on the same knee so keen to avoid as much strain through the knee as possible.

Any advice?

ps looking at a Ribble Sportive Bianco
    Last edited by missyR; 03-09-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What type of terrain will you be riding? How strong a climber are you?

When you do get a road bike, make extra certain you have a very good fitting to avoid further problems with the knee.

I speak from experience here.
    Hi there,

Not a very good climber but willing to spin it! Unfortunately I live in Scotland so avoiding them is futile! Its gonna be all tarmac cycling for me now!

I have some knee issues and I opted for a triple on my Madone. That is just me. Some of the compact double 10 speeds are very close to the same gearing. However, I believe you get smaller increments with a triple allowing you to build up the strength in your knee. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Yes, this is true. I have 2 road bikes. One with a triple and an 11-27 cassette and one with a compact and mountain rear cassette. So the compact actually has lower overall gearing, but there's a big jump between the gears. I've had to get used to it. It's not the lowest gear that may actually be the most important thing to you; more the ratios and the spread between each gear.
    Personally, I'd go with the triple if I had knee issues, as I would want more small increments between the gears.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    I have some knee issues and I opted for a triple on my Madone. That is just me. Some of the compact double 10 speeds are very close to the same gearing. However, I believe you get smaller increments with a triple allowing you to build up the strength in your knee. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

P2
    Many thanks for this. I had the feeling they were similar but couldnt get my head round all the ratios. Its going to be work in progress so will be building the knee back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    And welcome to TE!

I think P2 is correct.
    Thanks been about for a while but maily just window shopping and learning as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Yes, this is true. I have 2 road bikes. One with a triple and an 11-27 cassette and one with a compact and mountain rear cassette. So the compact actually has lower overall gearing, but there's a big jump between the gears. I've had to get used to it. It's not the lowest gear that may actually be the most important thing to you; more the ratios and the spread between each gear.
    Personally, I'd go with the triple if I had knee issues, as I would want more small increments between the gears.
    Thanks when you say more increments what ratio do you recommend as unfortunately we do have some hilly areas on my regular commute.

I am not really sure what you need to know. I am not a whiz at calculating ratios, etc. But, I live in a hilly area, too, with mostly shorter, steep climbs, as opposed to long (like 5-10 mile) more gradual climbs. I routinely ride up 10-12% grades on almost every ride.
    I started out with a triple that had an 11-25 rear cassette and when I moved to my current house, which is on a lot with a 15% grade driveway, on a 10% grade street, I got a 12-27. That was 6 years ago. DH just put a new cassette with a 28 on the rear today, as he did the spring maintenance. Of course, you might be a lot younger than me, as I am closer to 60 than 50. I am a pretty good climber in that I can get up almost anything, but I do it slowly, especially on longer very steep climbs. I'd rather go 3-4 mph than walk...
    What I don't like about the compact is that it is missing the cog (the 16) that is my "sweet spot" for riding on flats. The gears that are the closest ratio either feel too easy or too hard. I've been riding the bike with the compact all winter (well, not tons of outdoor riding) and basically, I decided to toughen up and use the harder gear. It feels better, but my speed is definitely slower on this bike and I am not that fast to begin with! However, since this is the bike I will be using for traveling, sometimes to places with big climbs, I like the idea of the lower overall gears to lessen fatigue, especially as I age.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Got a carbon frame last year that came with a triple, and after much consideration, kept it because of my knees. It's mostly flat where I ride, but I like having the granny gear at hand if I need it. The savings in weight wasn't enough for me to opt for a compact double, which was my other option.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    2009 Felt ZW100 (Gone but not forgotten)
    2010 C'Dale Synapse 5 Carbon Fem | Koobi Si Classic | "Cinders"