Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

139. Phooey.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I just didn't want to post last week because the scale was up in the 117's again after getting lower for a while. And I rode a lot last week. But today I was 115.4, so maybe things are really finally going back down again.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I was 142.
    Karen

2009 Cannondale Quick 4 Hybrid
    2010 Periwinkle Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD Saddle
    2012 Co-Motion "Speedster" Tandem with Lady Selle Italia Saddle and thud-buster

lesko.tumblr.com

135 this morning, so I should have waited until today to weigh. Let's go with this weight as my "official" weigh in.

So how does water retention show on those bod pod machines?? The muscle decrease is still a matter for concern - which more calories should address, but perhaps the extra pounds of body fat was actually water???? time for research.

Caitrin - I believe that the bod pod can tell the difference between fat and water. Water counts as lean mass, so keep that in mind!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Caitrin - I believe that the bod pod can tell the difference between fat and water. Water counts as lean mass, so keep that in mind!
    Noted, and I am unsure if I REALLY lost a full 3 pounds of muscle mass - I would think that I would notice that in my activities? I don't know, my trainer's advice seems good - he just advised me to wait a few months and then get another one to compare the results and to stick with the course - & to succeed this time at meeting those calorie goals. If water really does count as lean mass, then it is possible that I was retaining more for the first one than yesterday.

They also told me that they saw a lot of this same thing during the same body-fat loss challenge/metabolic training last year and think it is due to restricted calories. This was a very different kind of workout than I've ever seen and certainly forced my body to do things in quite different ways. It does seem feasible that if I wasn't eating at the right times and the fuel wasn't readily available to my body then it probably did turn to muscle for fuel - but 3 pounds in 10 weeks does seem a bit high - but what do I know?

I think hydration may effect bodpod results. Body fat is partly water. Muscle is partly water. Bones are partly water. Water is in everything. That said, there is more water in muscle than in fat. For example, a person who has a fat percentage of 40% will have less water weight than a person who has a fat percentage of 20% but who is the same weight.

Factors that may affect accuracy of the Bod Pod

Hydration status and increases in muscle temperature can adversely affect calculation results
    Also, it is imperative to breath normal, remain still, and keep hands in lap while being assessed by the Bod Pod (any slight movement or change in breathing pattern may affect results)
    http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/bodycomp.html
    Last edited by goldfinch; 04-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I think hydration may effect bodpod results. Body fat is partly water. Muscle is partly water. Bones are partly water. Water is in everything. That said, there is more water in muscle than in fat. For example, a person who has a fat percentage of 40% will have less water weight than a person who has a fat percentage of 20% but who is the same weight.

Factors that may affect accuracy of the Bod Pod

Hydration status and increases in muscle temperature can adversely affect calculation results
    Also, it is imperative to breath normal, remain still, and keep hands in lap while being assessed by the Bod Pod (any slight movement or change in breathing pattern may affect results)
    http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/bodycomp.html
    Ahhhhh, so if I were partially dehydrated (this happens more often than I care to admit), then this might well have skewed the results a bit. Interesting - and I've been searching the internet for this kind of information. I was told not to have anything by mouth for 3 hours prior to the test so I didn't . Thanks!

We were traveling 4 days this past week (Tu-Fri) and ate tons of yummy food, so I'm not too upset about that. Still really wanting to get to 105 by the end of May as I'm traveling to North Carolina to see my folks on June 3, and I know my mom will be food pushing to the extreme!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Not as much as I'd hoped for, but it's 3 lbs less than I started out at and I'll take it. I'm hoping that this time, if I lose SLOWLY that it will actually stay off. I'm happy with 1.5 lbs a month. Maybe that way it won't come back like it ALWAYS has.
    And if I keep it up, 1.5 lbs a month adds up; by the end of the year I can be 12 lbs lighter.

I have noticed my clothes are getting looser from all the strength training, so even if the scale isn't dropping much, the proof is in the waistband.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 05-01-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Talking Bod Pod revisted

Bod Pod revisited...our coach asked me to re-do the test this morning and I did. We did it at the same time as the original, and I had on the exact same clothing. I couldn't compare all of the results until tonight as I had to get to the office and didn't have time for him to dig through the computer.

I already knew from this morning that I actually lost 4% of my body fat - didn't gain 3 lbs body fat after all. I also gained a bit over 3 pounds of muscle from the original. That is more like it!

We are unsure what happened Friday, a new person conducted the test, that may or may not be related, perhaps the calibration was slightly off. Considering I feel better and stronger than before (and can certainly do quite a lot more) the results from this test makes more sense.

So....never mind. Obviously the new diet/calorie guidelines are working for me - though I am still going to tweak timing...

For the next challenge I will pick a maintenance weight, that seems wiser at this point than trying to "lose" while trying to build muscle. Competing goals...
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Good news Catrin! These results make a lot more sense, given that you were feeling good and felt no loss of strength.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Not sure why I am up a bit. I was very happy with the fact that I weighed only 106.2 after my weekend away last Monday and I quickly went down to 105. I have been trying to eat more vegetarian meals, to get my LDL down, but I am feeling it limits me. It's not that I don't like tofu and beans, but I also like to eat a wide variety of foods and it's hard to eat semi-Paleo and veggie. I have been eating chicken and fish a bit, but I think I am going to add some other red meats back in 1-2 days a week. When I don't have that, I eat more whole wheat pasta and bread..
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I can't seem to break that barrier. Was 106.5 yesterday but back to 107 today, which is a typical pattern. I seem to be stuck in the 106.5 to 108 range. My ideal weight for my very small frame is 102-104. However, considering I have been taking a break from running due to the intense early-season heat, I really shouldn't complain. I am starting to get back into weights and doing more yoga at home (since I only take class once a week) to make up for the lack of running. And still cycling in the heat, of course.

Since I go to the US for a week on June 3, I am really, truly hoping to get to 105 by the end of May, but given my pattern, it's going to be difficult. It's only a couple lbs, which I used to be able to lose SO easily when I was younger, but it's gotten a lot harder as I get closer to menopause. I feel like I am eating a moderate amount and very healthfully, and I hesitate to cut calories too much lest my body go into "starvation hoarding mode".
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, I found that "mixing up" what I eat, decreasing fruit and breads, and adding veggies helped me break my own barrier. I still cook and go out, but there are things that are just more "once in awhile" than before. I suspect my caloric intake is not much different than it was before and is probably higher than others, but this is mostly working for me. I didn't realize how much my eating had changed, until last weekend, when presented with the breakfast at the B and B, I freaked. The breakfast was a very small amount of plain yogurt (probably whole fat) and good fruit, a strawberry muffin, and a couple of meat filled little pastry things. We were leaving to go on a longer ride and despite eating most of my Luna Bar before and during the ride, I was pretty much bonking by the time I ate lunch. Not enough protein and I skipped the bad carbs as much as I could.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport