Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Phew. I'm glad that 60K I paid to Lesley University was worth it.
    I think I find this particularly funny because I often hear myself say the same thing in my head from time to time.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Yeah, this has definitely be a learning experience. One big thing I have learned is that my husband lacks the 'nurturing' gene. I kind of suspected it by seeing how he deals with our animals, but this just confirmed it. It also makes me very glad that we decided against having children a long time ago.

My surgery is at 7:30 tomorrow morning and we have to be at the hospital at 6 am. Oy, that's early. Luckily, I won't be expected to have any energy, so I should be able to handle it.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Good luck, GLC.
    And for what it's worth, the couple I described doesn't have any kids, either. And, that was a really good decision for them, although he would have been a fabulous parent. It was a miracle we found them, just when both of our kids were gone. Our "regular" friends are fat, inactive, and laugh at our tales of our adventures.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good luck GLC. Who's doing the surgery?

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Jakob Langer at Tuality in Hillsboro.

Speaking of which, here is a funny coincidence...tonight we just sold our bowflex to someone off craigslist. Turns out, he's the head of PT for Tuality and could very well end up treating me! Small world!

What a coincidence! Sounds like the universe is lining things up for you.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Hope it goes well today! Thinking about you, sending hugs.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery GLC!
    Beth

Good luck with surgery, GLC. Am thinking of you!

On the "nurturing gene", my DH is the same. He took very little time whipping up a tray for my walker when I came home from my orthopedic surgery in 2005 so I could do more for myself and he wouldn't have to "do it all". He's a very practical, hard-working person, but not the "mommying" type at all.

We didn't have kids (due to infertility on his part), and that was probably a good thing. Perhaps nature really does know best in some cases, at least.

I love my DH. He's smart, hard-working, and we have many shared interests and values, but a nurturing soul he is not.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Sending good thoughts for quick healing and a minimum of pain.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

GLC - hope the surgery went well. Have been thinking about you, and sharing your story with DH (who is VERY much like yours!). Take care of yourself.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Surgery went well, I guess. I don't remember it!

Actually, what I do remember (apart from the nausea) was outstanding. Everyone at the hospital was wonderful. Truly. It made it all a little easier to take.

Recovery, on the other hand, is a b1tch. I took one Vicodin at the hospital and it was awful. When I got home, I took the anti nausea meds and they helped but then I decided that I'd wait to take any more pain meds until I couldn't bear it anymore. I would much rather deal with the pain than I would feeling dizzy, sick to my stomach and generally awful. There were a couple of super intense pain spells last night and this morning it feels like there is a red hot poker jammed into my foot, but I'm dealing. I'm also still a little dizzy and groggy from the anesthesia.

I'm still not eating much, either. AND I have to keep my foot elevated above my heart, so I'm not very comfortable either. Honestly, this sucks a lot and I cannot wait for it to be over with.

But I'll survive.

Oh, and the doc told my husband that I completely tore my ligament off the bone in that joint. It was apparently worse than he'd thought. He gave me a couple of xray films they took after the procedure and they show three huge screws in my foot! Owie! One of the worst parts is also knowing that I'll go through all of this again after my ligaments heal because those screws will have to be surgically removed, before I can walk on that joint. Oh joy.

What a huge, huge drag. I really feel for you. I hope your pain lessens to dull roar soon.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Glad it went well.

As I recall, the follow-up surgery to remove the giant screw from my heel was much easier to deal with than the initial ankle surgery that put it there. And while I was under, they broke through some scar tissue that had developed. It was actually a good thing -- an important step toward recovery.

After my first surgery, I had one of those morphine drip machines. The anesthesiologist told me never to press the button unless I was actually in pain. Then he made me press the button to show I knew how to use it, even though I was not in any pain at the time. I threw up a few minutes later. Thanks, doc.

The morphine also made me itch all over, and I continued to feel nauseated. So they gave me companzine for my stomach and benadryl for the itch. I remember being awake, but physically unable to open my eyes.

Anyway, it's all in the past now. And this whole experience will be all in your past. Just take it one day at a time.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Glad it went well.
    As one who can't even take a Tylenol with codeine, I admire your decision to take pain over nausea and dizziness. Give in to being on your back with your foot up for a few days and by then you'll be ready to start scooting around and working on your upper body. I think it helps to look at recovery from surgery as you would training for an event. But right now, you need to let your body heal, just from the shock of surgery.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport