Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How is training going, how many miles should I be doing

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was wondering how many miles/hours you are training at this point? I'm trying to ride almost everyday much as I can, but sometimes feel exhausted by Saturday, which is one of the 2 days I can put in a lot of miles. I am thinking I should not be riding 7 days a week. What do you think?

Question

How long is the ride, when is it, and what is your comfortable long distance right now?

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

ACG- Coming from experience, You are riding too much, my dear!!!!!!!! You can do this ride on 5 days a week. Given we are in the middle of March, I'd say you should be doing a long ride on say Saturday followed by a recovery ride on Sunday. What is the longest ride you are doing right now and what distances are you doing during the week? Are you doing any of the AIDS training rides?

I successfully completed this ride last year, so I'm happy to give you suggestions,(see what I said at the beginning of this thread) but we need more info!
    Last edited by Bike Goddess; 03-17-2006 at 03:54 PM.
    Nancy

The weather and darkness hinder me

I can only ride in the a.m. and because it is dark at 5 and cold. I ride on a trainer for one hour. I start off in an easy gear working towards harder gears, then spend 5 minutes on easy gears. I've only been able to go to the gym once a week for weight training. Every other week (wednesday) I'm skipping work and riding 35-45, hilly routes. Saturdays wind up being 50-60 (with lots of hills), Sundays wind up being 35-45. Trying to ride a century a month somewhere in all this too.

I think I'm not eating correctly either, but have recently made some changes that seem to help. Have missed some of the ALC training rides. But that is cuz the group I'm with seems to care more about the social aspects of fundraising that the training. I keep saying -balance ladies.

Now that I've reached my goal, I may cut back on the group fundraising. Maybe not the nicest thing to do. But maybe I should spend a few more days at the gym? Less on the trainer?

what Bike Goddess sez, to say she "successfully completed this ride last year" is an understatement. It's a ride not a race but BG was one of the first ones in each day.

If you're doing the rough equivelant of back to back metric centuries now, you are doing fine!! If the ride started tomorrow, you could do this.

Listen to your body, get enough rest, nutrition, do some things for range of motion, yoga, stretching.

Nanci, the ride is 7 days, 585 miles and in June.
    Last edited by Trek420; 03-17-2006 at 07:05 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

So less than 100 miles a day. If it were me, I'd probably be doing something like a long ride Saturday, working up to the 60-80 range, and about half that Sunday, rest Monday, short 15-30's on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, (maybe one day a week of springing/speed work) rest Friday. I would gradually increase my Saturday long ride up to 115-125, if possible (I know that's a long day riding) just because it feels so good to have extra gas in the tank, so to speak. But only do that really long distance a couple times, with maybe three weeks in between. Then I wouldn't do that much of a taper, because like Tour de France, or anything, you don't want your body to get out of daily-riding mode, but I would cut back the long ride the weekend before to something like 60 or even 40.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

wow you're so good. makes me feel I should get that way. Been waiting for the rain to clear up before I can try commuting to work by bike and use that for mileage. Right now, I only do really one or two rides a week, usually a short 20-30 mile ride on Sat and a longer ALC training ride I do on Sundays that was up to 55ish miles as of this past Sunday. And I say boo for hills, boo. That's about all I do.. so I should probably bike more but I also do martial arts twice a week and run about twice a week.

liksani, you are doing great!

Keep doing the MA, running's fine too. When it comes to training for this thing I say "do as I say not as I did"

On ALC 3-4 I tried to get 1 1/2 of training 6 days a week, not enough of that was on the bike but found ways to sneak time in.

Wushu is great, helps your range of motion so keep that up. Have you thought about doing a demo on talent night? Commute is a wonderful way to get miles in. I'd add a midweek killer spin class, hill repeats or jumps to build for those *&^% hills.

I'd stick with once a week for the climbing drills and keep up the long rides on the weekends.

What do y'all gals think? Is this a great group of riders or what?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

hehe so bad, haven't been doing long rides. pesky rain. finally biked to work again since it wasn't raining today but it figures i would flat out. :P *grumble* i'm not sure how much biking i can get in during the week besides commuting on some days since i'm starting marathon training again... and now i know to carry a whole ton of CO2 cartridges or also bring along a small frame pump.. I'm quite thankful to the people who stopped to help me cuz they had pumps.

49 Miles Ride report

I'd made a personal commitment to lead (or sweep or kinda in the middle) an ALC training ride each month.

So yesterday I went on a Cat 1 ride, the 9th in a series.

We had I think 9 riders, not bad for a ride just announced the night before.

We met at Orinda Bart station we took Camino Pablo to Moraga Road to Mt. Diablo Blvd, right on Pleasant Hill Rd, left on Olympic to Tice Valley which had a nice climb if I'm recalling right, onto Crest Ave, Hillgrade Ave to Danville Blvd onto Railroad Street then a stop at the Cafe Francais for a regroup.

We crossed and and recrossed and shared the route with the MS Top Hat. It was great to see the riders out there, any TE gals?

After a banana muffin at the cafe, back on Railroad to San Ramon Valley Road where I missed the turn to Dublin Canyon, lucky that Mary the ride leader was near me, yelled and I turned around or I'd still be out there somewhere.

We pulled a u-turn and climbed Dublin Canyon Road.

If you're in the Bay Area this is a road you see from 580 fwy. and I'd always thought to myself "self? other than the view of the freeway looks like a nice yet gentle climb"

But that's from a car.

It kicked my happy b*tt.

I felt slow, this is a chalenging climb but one I should be able to do at a half decent clip. After a well deserved zip down E Castro Valley blvd we regrouped at Safeway. At that point the planned route went up Redwood Road to Pinehurst, Canyon Road, Moraga Way back to BART.

I decided things were not going to get better for me on Pinehurst and since I'd taken BART to the ride it wasn't as if my car was there. Everyone was doing fine and I would be holding them way up. So after a banana, Luna bar and hydration bev of choice I headed home. I had a choice of getting back on BART and then the normal 2 miles from BART but thought might as well ride all the way to tack on 10 more miles.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Trek420, you go girl!

Sounds like you did a good job! Congrats! I participated in the Santa Monica version of 'day on the ride' 80 miles along the SoCal Coast. Some killer hills in what I call 'rich people' neighborhood. Felt good afterwards, cuz I finished right in the middle. Rode with my social group today, but decided to challenge myself and rode the harder route. My legs were killing me until about mile 25, then the pain disappeared. The group really worked with me to improve my skills. This social bike group I ride with is really supportive. I wish they were going with me.
    Just a few more weeks to go girls, I'm counting the days!

yeah, now wonder I sucked. I've been taking it easy and selectively picking easier Cat 1, terrain 1 rides.

Just looked at the ride cue sheet.

Cat 2, terrain 3. New standard from now on.

AGC, Shadon & Liksani, I volunteered to person the tent table on Day 0, where you sign up for tent assignment. Picked the early shift 8-12, so will see you there.
    Last edited by Trek420; 04-23-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton